Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand-Crank Coffee Grinders

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The problem with hand grinders is that it takes a fair amount
of time and effort. Charming at first, but eventually annoying.
What makes hand grinders inefficient is that you have to hold
them and turn the crank. Zazzenhaus used to make a hand
grinder that clamped to your counter or table. Probably the
only practical model I've ever seen. You might be able to find
one on eBay. They now make a "knee mill", which you can hold
between your knees as you grind. Sort of annoying, but it works.
I recommend this online retailer:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml

Or you could go with an antique mill with a wheel for
ease of use:

IG186-1.jpg

As for how coffee was made in the Golden Era, they had everything
we have today. Espresso was invented around 100 years ago.
Drip coffee, french press, neopolitan, etc, all were in use. Perhaps
not in middle America, but ... no comment. Of course the classic
American Golden Era coffee maker was the siphon:

CoryRubberless.jpg

I believe there are detailed posts on this method somewhere on this site.

Dickie

New in Town
SPONG

You want to buy a vintage SPONG. My family have had one since when I was born, and we've got one now. They come up on ebay quite often and are quite cheap but they do the job magnificently and last for years. The domestic model is/was called SPONG No. 1 and works like a dream! Hope this helps.

Josephine

One Too Many
feltfan said:
The problem with hand grinders is that it takes a fair amount
of time and effort. Charming at first, but eventually annoying.
What makes hand grinders inefficient is that you have to hold
them and turn the crank. Zazzenhaus used to make a hand
grinder that clamped to your counter or table.

My aunt and grandmother had one that was on a board that screwed into the wall. The ones with the Dutch blue pattern of a windmill, etc on on the part that held the beans (hopper?). I haven't seen it in their house in awhile, I hope they still have it... :(

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
As far as simple non-electric coffee MAKERS go, my favorite is probably the simple manual drip model. It consists of a plastic cone into which you place a regular paper coffee filter full of grounds, and pour water over the top. The cones generally sit right on top of a thermos, so your coffee brews into an insulated pot that you can close up and take with you.

For smaller quantities, you can find similar plastic cones that will fit on top of a coffee mug. I find these excellent for camping.

30s sliphorn

New in Town
CrystalArcade.jpg
[/IMG]

This is our vintage Arcade Crystal coffee grinder. It's the same model my great grandmother used around the WW1 era. I was surprised that you can actually adjust the grind with it - the nut holding the arm on it will tighten or loosen, and bring the grinding wheels closer together or farther apart. It's actually rather a clever design. It's neat that some people still use these. We don't use it; we are Nespresso aficionados (I know that's probably probably at least a misdemeanor in the barista world, but they do make great coffee with little fuss.)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I've got a hand crank coffee grinder!
I never really thought about it being an antique.
Yeah it's true about there being a lot of effort.
I think you need the coffee to grind the beans, to make coffee...:eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
We run a shop and one of the things we sell is treadle sewing machines so we know a little about non electric devices, i have seen a kitchenaid mixer that has a crank, now there is a place in ohio that is called lehams,non electric catalog, now i may not have that spelled right check it out on the web they have a web site, and they probably have a handcrank coffe grinder thank you 59Lark. home of the studebaker and the singer treadle sewing machine. :eek:

"Lehman Brothers Hardware" in Kidron, OH. I've been there many times. They have hand-crank coffee grinders but their web presence is dismal (main target customer is Amish - and tourists Amish wannabes).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112