Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hand warmer pockets

bfrench

Familiar Face
SPAD said:
Gentlemen, I intend to use this A-2, not as an ornament, or decoration, but as a real live jacket, you know, one that if your hands get cold, you can put them in a handwarmer pocket. I am not interested in preserving it for posterity or selling it, just having a usable horsehide A-2. Kind of like having a car and driving it. I don't want to impress anyone but myself, and please myself. Thanks for the input. SPAD:)

Hi, Spad,

I agree with you as to the usefulness of the jacket especially for the price.

One thing I have found is that they aren't really very warm in cold weather. It doesn't take long for a chill to get through the leather and thin cotton lining.

I would look at having a thinsulate lining added - either a fully sewn in one or a zip out job. Had a cloth A-2 with a sewn in thinsulate lining and wore it all winter long here in Ontario - now wish I had done this with my FS historic models - well at least one of them.

Bill French

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
SPAD said:
Gentlemen, I intend to use this A-2, not as an ornament, or decoration, but as a real live jacket, you know, one that if your hands get cold, you can put them in a handwarmer pocket. I am not interested in preserving it for posterity or selling it, just having a usable horsehide A-2. Kind of like having a car and driving it. I don't want to impress anyone but myself, and please myself. Thanks for the input. SPAD:)

Why did you ask then?:)

ldmax

Familiar Face
I find that gloves work really well for keeping my hands warm! Seriously, I thought I would miss having HW pockets, but I don't. The flap patch pockets are perfect for my cell phone, wallet, mp3 player, ANR headset power pack, etc. (not all at the same time). Not being able to put my hands in my pockets (wearing gloves instead) encourages swinging my arms while walking - good exercise!

SPAD

New in Town
One thing, in cold weather leather jackets are not the best thing. They do not breath and they hold moisture in. That is why I am not getting one with a thinsulate lining. Also we are moving back out to the eastern part of Washington in the desert with cool nights and mild days in the spring, so won't be using it in the summer. In mild cool weather they are fine with different layers under them. My G-1 is my favorite sports car top down jacket, like to turn that fur collar up and let the wind not bother the back of my neck. I find it awkward in my regular A-2 to use the flap pockets for my hands. I have a Cooper a-2 Civil version for a motorcyclre jacket and I've come to like the handwarmer pockets. That A-2 is oversize (for layers underneath) and goat. I want a light brown color jacket in horsehide or light colored goat. I've looked at the "Cockpit Horsehide Russet" and I like the color, but getting a fit I'm not to sure about. US Authentic has a Vintage goat, and a brown goat. I'm going to call them and about samples and a stock jacket in vintage goat. Your comments and thoughts have been appreciated. SPAD:)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I can take 'em or leave 'em. They tend to be too far up to be comfortable to use anyway.
But what I really, really would like to see is inside pockets. Two, one on each side,....or better yet four!
Inside pockets come in mighty handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ