Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Feraud said:
DSC03230.jpg

Was that post-Deckard splashing?

Cufflinks_Carl

Suspended
My modest collection

I have mostly silk, a few linen and a couple of cashmere/wool/silk blend.

I am new into pockets so I don't have so many. I plane to buy more indeed.

Marty M.

Vendor
To good to pass on this one.....

Feraud said:
Yes, I untucked most of the material to have quick and easy access to wiping the gin off my shoulder. :)

You're going to have to relay this story next time I see you.
Marty

Josephine

One Too Many
I'm going to make The Husband two pocket squares out of Duponi silk, but in looking around I came upon this, and I saved the picture just because I think the fold is so neat/amazing/cool:

PocketSquare1.gif

kschurch

Vendor
Hey Josephine,

Great to see you're making some squares. FYI...when I used dupioni silk to make squares I made my finished product 11x11. Most pocket squares you buy are larger. I found that left too much in the pocket so I made them smaller. Especailly when using the crisper silk.

Please post the finished product...I'd love to see them.

Cheers,

Church

Josephine

One Too Many
kschurch said:
...when I used dupioni silk to make squares I made my finished product 11x11. Most pocket squares you buy are larger. I found that left too much in the pocket so I made them smaller.

Ooo, thanks. I was going to make it about 14" square. I haven't worked with Dupioni silk before (just handled to admire), and now I seem to remember it being thicker than other silk? Perhaps 10" square would be better? I'll definitely post pics when they are done.. :)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are a couple of new ones. Pardon the price tags. I bought them on super duper clearance and didn't pay anything approaching that.

p1012030rl6.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
The silk pocket square.

I have only recently fallen under the spell of the silk pocket square.

But I haven't quite figured out the proper way to fold/wear the darn things.

I've been holding them in the middle and shoving the rest inside the pocket
leaving the little rounded pointy part exposed, like this:

012-1.jpg

I've seen pictures of gentlemen with the corners sticking out of the pocket in a sort of crown like look. But this always leaves the "100% silk" tag exposed.

To add to my confusion, in some vintage movies I've seen the gentlemen just shove the thing in the pocket and it always comes out looking perfect.

I searched this thread and didn't see any advice.

Can anyone help?

Feraud

Bartender
There are a couple of pocket square threads around here if you search.
You can stuff a hankie in your pocket any which way and it generally looks good.

Geesie

Practically Family
For more serious occasions I use a linen handkerchief in the "TV fold" (rectangular, 3/8 inch strip showing above the pocket).

For more flashy appearance (symphony matinee, etc) I fold for three points showing. Take the square, have the "100% silk" tag pointing down and the other corner pointing up (laid flat on a bed or something). Take the two corners that are to the left and right and fold them across the square near the top point to whatever look you want. then just gather the bottom enough to keep as much of the points showing as you care to.

For parties etc., I use the puff + points. Take the square by the center in your hand so you get a puff then pull two of the points near it. Stuff it in the pocket and adjust.

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
I use the presidential, just fold it in half twice and it's done-the clear, straight line.

I sometimes use the puff, where it's just shoved in, or the 1 point

fold it in half diagonally, then fold in at the sides with just one point out, ina sort of trapezium shape

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The only way I usually do a silk is in the way you described in the first post. Puff.

I'm not a big fan of the silk square as i can't really get away with blowing my nose in it. I always seam to leave them behind in favor of linen or heavy cotton made of shirting materials. Absorbs more and washes easily. i tend to dance a lot and when I need something to wipe the sweat away silk doesn't do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot