Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Anybody cut up ruined old ties or shirts in interesting colors? I've been thinking of it.

I've recently begun trying this with odd bits of silk and linen cloth. The Ask Andy About Clothes web site has a good article on making your own pocket squares.

PenMan

Familiar Face
I hope I'm not out of bounds in saying this, but an Ebay seller, Berkshire Traders, with whom I have absolutely no affiliation, sells Joseph Abboud pocket squares, new in orignial packaging, for $5.99--with free shipping.

Feraud

Bartender
Pocket squares 101

What better way to finish off an outfit than with a pocket square? Unlike their name they are anything but "square". The styles range from conservative to rakish and everything in between.
In this day and age of pre-packaged rebellion and office Laissez Faire there is no better way to show a true sense of style, individuality, professionalism, and class than this.
With a simple fold and tuck an ordinary square of linen, cotton, or silk is transformed into an expression of the wearer.
Picture5929.jpg

Picture5928.jpg

Picture5927.jpg

Picture5926.jpg

Picture5925.jpg

Picture5923.jpg

Picture5922.jpg

Picture5921.jpg

Picture5920.jpg

Picture5919.jpg

A pocket square will dress up an average suit. They cost next to nothing and make an outfit look like a million bucks.
The next time you are stepping out with your best girl or dinner with friends, choose a mood and express it through your pocket square.

*Thanks to scotrace for the square.

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
i've never felt really comfortable wearing one. [huh] Perhaps something that will come with time.

bk
I know exactly what you mean. I have had these feelings in the past and find the best way to overcome them is to dive right in!

Remember folks - always carry two hankies. "One for showin' and one for blowin'". ;)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
a general rule

I belive the general rule is:

patterned tie/plain kerchief, plain tie/patterned kerchief

Agree? disagree? There always exception of course for the daring amongst us

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MikeBravo said:
I belive the general rule is:

patterned tie/plain kerchief, plain tie/patterned kerchief

Agree? disagree? There always exception of course for the daring amongst us
Well, you have four components that converge upon the "V" zone (so named by Jean-Claude Colban, proprietor of Charvet), shirt, tie, jacket and pocket square. The rule is; there are no rules. I've done all solid, all pattern and a mix, with each looking pretty good. That said, I subscribe to the maxim less is more .;)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
amen to that

Tomasso said:
Well, you have four components that converge upon the "V" zone (so named by Jean-Claude Colban, proprietor of Charvet), shirt, tie, jacket and pocket square. The rule is; there are no rules. I've done all solid, all pattern and a mix, with each looking pretty good. That said, I subscribe to the maxim less is more .;)

I like your attitude, gate

Tumbleweed

New in Town
I went from making a few tentative steps into pocketsquares to diving headfirst, now I never leave the house without them. Even when going casual (mixed jacket/trousers sans tie) I find they add that extra bite that pushes me into the Look At Me I'm Wearing Clothes zone.

Particularly fond of the shell folds.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Tumbleweed said:
(snip...) Particularly fond of the shell folds.
I am fond of them too. I've seen pics of the straight shell and the angled shell. Problem is, neither I nor my girlfriend can figure out how to make them. They involve making pleats somehow, the ones I've seen anyway. How do you do it?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Important to add: Just stuff it in there once.
Maybe you're like me and think it's going to squunch up and fly around and end up looking like a holy mess. Well, let it. Nothing spoils your look quicker than preening, and preening a pocket hankey is the most precious, pretentious preening perceivable.

Part of being well dressed is putting enough homework into it to not wear things that don't behave when put on and left alone - like a coat or collar that rides up – and to put everything else on and leave it alone. It's hard to tell the difference at sight between someone who doesn't trust his outfit and someone who doesn't trust himself, and that can negate everything you are trying to do with your clothes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari