Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Jovan

Suspended
areyoubeingserved_1.jpg

Try telling that to him.

Dagwood

Practically Family
I am a big fan of the pocket square. I feel naked without one in my jacket pocket.

I like silk squares, but would recommend handwoven silk over the satin silk squares. Satin silk pocket squares (such as found at Jos A Bank) are larger, tend to slide down into the pocket (causing a bulge), and are glossy. Handwoven squares (such as made by Beau Ties, Ltd., a sponsor of Classic Style), are smaller, stand/poof up nicely in the pocket, and add more texture to your look.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Thank you and yes it is a Whippet. Purchased from a Lounge member.
It is my new favorite hat! :) When I wake up in the morning I now consider my clothes based on the hat! lol

I have to plead guilty to having done that more than a few times, too!

The colour of the Whippet is outstanding. :eusa_clap Especially with that suit, tie and shirt to complement it, and vice versa.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Interesting. So more like raw silk?

Good question. I must admit that I am far from a silk expert. However, it is my understanding that all silk squares start off the same way with the only difference being their finish (i.e. that which gives the squares their final appearance and quality). Satin silk squares are generally mass produced, machine hemmed and, by definition, have more gloss. By contrast, handwoven silk squares have more hand workmanship, more stitches per inch, use better quality fabric and have more variety of patterns.

PenMan

Familiar Face
My wife gave me a great selection of cotton squares for Christmas. They seem to be in every department store, causing me to wonder if at least some facets of traditional clothing are making a comeback.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Pocket Squares?

I have some questions about pocket squares, which I've never worn before. I have a black suit and would like to add some more color. so...

1. Assuming a full suit, shirt, tie, and hat - should the pocket square match anything in particular? If so, how close of a match?
2. Can the pocket square be used to make some element of the outfit match when it normally wouldn't?
3. What us the proper way (or best way) to fold a pocket square and place it in the pocket?

NB

PenMan

Familiar Face
I don't know if it is out of bounds to continue a thread that overlaps with others, but thought I would throw in a comment or two that doesn't appear in the other threads.

I read somewhere in a fashion book (Cary Grant: Celebration of Style maybe) that an unnamed news anchor had 2000 (or was it 200) pocket squares in a drawer, and each day without looking he pulled one out and wore that one. I think the main thing is that it needs to look unaffected. The tie and square made out of the same material can't help but look affected. I have several sets of matching ones, but never wear them together. The square works well with other ties. Another thing I do on occasion is wear the square without a tie when I am trying to dress down but still add some colour.

I never thought of bringing a non-matching item into the total look by means of the square, but you can pick up a colour anywhere in your outfit with the square, so maybe it can accomplish what you are after.

I was in the more fashionable business part of Sydney a couple weeks ago. I was wearing a jacket I bought in the US for $29, with a square. I saw only one other person with a square in about an hour of walking, but I'm pretty sure nobody looked twice at him or me because of it. When I started to wear them to work people commented, but that only lasts a little while. Funnily, I was standing in the most exclusive haberdashery that day looking at some sort of pressing machine. It had a jacket hanging on it, which didn't catch my eye for a moment or two. When I did notice it I saw that it had an Italian label and the exact cut and cloth of what I was wearing, only it cost $1599. I felt pretty good as I left the store.

fphaase

New in Town
Keeping pocket squares showing

What's the best way to keep pocket squares from slipping into the coat pocket? Is the trick in the fold?

Clarke

New in Town
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge, we hope we can help you out!

Your correct, it's all on how you fold it. If it slips as you've encountered you might have not folded it a certain way. Be sure to also carefully place the pocket square so that it fits well in the pocket.

Here's a site that can steer you in the right direction: http://www.samhober.com/howtofoldpocketsquares/pocketsquarefolds.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Clarke

Feraud

Bartender
My feeling is it is not how you fold it but the material of your pocket liner and hankie itself.
Certain materials are slippery and with paired with other slippery material is bound to give you problems.
Try using cotton, linen, raw silk, etc. squares and see if you notice a difference.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I've had the same problem with the conventional silk pocket squares that are commonly available. To combat the problem, I fold a few tissues up into a loose square and tuck them down to the bottom of the lapel pocket first. They take up the excess space and keep the pocket squares from slipping below the surface!

Linen and cotton are much better at staying in place, but this trick works equally well with all fabrics. ;)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Johnnysan said:
To combat the problem, I fold a few tissues up into a loose square and tuck them down to the bottom of the lapel pocket first. They take up the excess space and keep the pocket squares from slipping below the surface!

Excellent advise!

I know it may be "wrong" but I like to use a cotton square for use in the occasional emergency mishap. I already carry a cotton handkerchief for just such a cause, but one never knows when a young lady in distress would like an additional remedy!

Feraud

Bartender
Undertow said:
Excellent advise!

I know it may be "wrong" but I like to use a cotton square for use in the occasional emergency mishap. I already carry a cotton handkerchief for just such a cause, but one never knows when a young lady in distress would like an additional remedy!
There is nothing wrong with using a handkerchief as it was intended. Always have two on hand.
"One for showin' and one for blowin'" ;)

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm so glad I read this thread! I'm planning to make my husband a pocketsquare from a vintage rayon crepe (to match the blouse I'm making from the same fabric), and now I might consider backing it with something stiffer. I'll have to ask him. Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80