Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Feraud

Bartender
Snookie said:
I'm so glad I read this thread! I'm planning to make my husband a pocketsquare from a vintage rayon crepe (to match the blouse I'm making from the same fabric), and now I might consider backing it with something stiffer. I'll have to ask him. Thanks guys!
Snookie, you might not need to back the rayon crepe with anything. Maybe a light starching will help hold its shape?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Snookie said:
I'm so glad I read this thread! I'm planning to make my husband a pocketsquare from a vintage rayon crepe (to match the blouse I'm making from the same fabric), and now I might consider backing it with something stiffer. I'll have to ask him. Thanks guys!

I don't think backing it is a good idea. Just make sure it's big enough.

So will he be expected to wear the square when you wear the blouse?

Dagwood

Practically Family
Feraud said:
My feeling is it is not how you fold it but the material of your pocket liner and hankie itself.
Certain materials are slippery and with paired with other slippery material is bound to give you problems.
Try using cotton, linen, raw silk, etc. squares and see if you notice a difference.

I second this. For me, I've noticed that my handwoven silk squares stand up nicer than my satin silk squares.

griffer

Practically Family
I always have one for show and one to blow, but I except for my formal silks, the daily wear is cotton and linen and ALL are used from time to time.

'Just for show' irks me for some reason. Form without function.

I excuse formal wear because the function of formal wear IS to be a peacock.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The linen handkerchiefs I normally use only give me trouble when I use Marc's "Sydney Opera House" fold. The points dip sideways until there's only one point peeking out. I still go with that quite often, anyway. We live once! :)
The best way, methinks, to display a hankie in the breast pocket is to spread it out, grab it in the center, gather up the bottom and stuff it into the pocket, leaving all the top points tumbling out in disarray.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:

Snookie, that is so cute. I wear bowties, and I like seeing a quiet smile on my wife's face when the tie I choose goes with the dress she dons.

Cordially,
Gary

Snookie

Practically Family
Thanks guys, for all the ideas and comments. Yes, he will be expected to wear his new brown and white polka dot pocket square with his Palm Beach when I wear my blouse (yes, we're costume-y, and yes, he already knows about this and is excited, not intimidated :) ). I'm not sure how much fabric I'll have left when I've finished cutting out my blouse, so I might not have the option of making it very big, but maybe starch will do the trick. Hopefully I won't have to resort to stapling it to cardboard!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Snookie said:
Thanks guys, for all the ideas and comments. Yes, he will be expected to wear his new brown and white polka dot pocket square with his Palm Beach when I wear my blouse (yes, we're costume-y, and yes, he already knows about this and is excited, not intimidated :) ). I'm not sure how much fabric I'll have left when I've finished cutting out my blouse, so I might not have the option of making it very big, but maybe starch will do the trick. Hopefully I won't have to resort to stapling it to cardboard!

You could make it so that the matching fabric -trims- another fabric that would be not visible when in pocket.....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
dhermann1 said:
Well, there's always those nice little pieces of cardboard with the phoney hanky stapled on. They never go anywhere.lol

You mean these babies!

fakehankies.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Brown and white polka dot sounds great. I hope you post of picture of the two of you when the outfit is complete.

I will certainly post a picture, but don't expect it for a while. It's going to be for Camp Hollywood, which isn't until the end of July!

I've never felt comfortable wearing a pocket square. I don't think i ever will feel comfortable with one. They always seemed to be mere frippery, the kind of affected fin de siecle dainty-wafting "elegance" that missed the point.

Affectation destroys effect.

I don't know why you'd want to keep it showing. I always end up just knotting it loosely around my neck.

bk

Dagwood

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
They always seemed to be mere frippery, the kind of affected fin de siecle dainty-wafting "elegance" that missed the point.

Can't say that I fully agree but, putting that aside, B.K's opinion was magnificently stated.

Jovan

Suspended
Many think even wearing a suit is affected these days! :p And certainly it has a place in evening wear, at least.

Sean_Connery_as_Bond.jpg

Don't you love those satin cuffed sleeves? This would be a wonderful project for Indy.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Call me a man with no sense of humour, but I don't get it. [huh]

*sighs*

If one is mooning helplessly over the person in the picture....one fails to note that he has a jacket on...let alone one with sleeves.... or any other details other then -HIM-

N...goes off to wipe drool off the keyboard now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart