Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's not needed, It just looks good at times. It's something of prefference and nowadays if a man puts one in his pocket i fear he fears that it looks like he put too much attention into the outfit.

The pocket is their for the nose blower and that's what it holds for me. Sometimes a pen and sometimes I get a card stuffed in, though the nose blower is for what It was designed.

I don't blow my nose in silk, and the linen is expensive and once stained, well it's not as easy to remove than with cotton... I get the linen because i like the look.

People just don't think about it that much in my opinion and again, don't want it to look like they did more than just through the jacket on.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
The pocket is there for a reason. Although a bit showy for some, I never wear a suit or sportcoat without a linen handkerchief or silk pocket square in the breast pocket. The ONLY exception is when I'm wearing an antique lapel pin and don't want to distract attention away from it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Silk pocket squares were a more European fashion until they hit America in the '60s. Before then, Americans preferred using cotton or linen pocket squares.

In Chile, pocket squares are associated with supporters of the former dictatorship. For some reason, men who were pro-Pinochet always seemed to use pocket squares ... and they still do. Chileans saw me wear a pocket square and thought, "He must be one of those upper class Pinochetistas." I did like the part about being mistaken as "upper class" ...

Incidentally, those who supported the dictatorship always seem to own silver-colored Mercedes Benz sedans. Maybe it's because the top dog -- General Pinochet -- was chauffered around in them.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You can also wear a pocket watch in the breast pocket. (Franklin Roosevelt sometimes did.) You put the watch chain's bar through the back of the lapel's boutonniere hole. The bar will rest across the front of the hole, anchoring the watch chain. The chain will then hang down vertically from the back of the lapel hole, and enter the breast pocket (where the watch itself lies hidden).

Never, ever have both a pocket watch AND a pocket handkerchief in the breast pocket at the same time.

Cobden

Practically Family
Yes, I usually wear a pocket square (admit to being a silk fan) with a suit, usually the same colour (but not matching the tie).

The only time I don't is when I'm wearing a lapel badge, otherwise you're right side looks a bit full, as it where...

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
Leather gloves stuck into a man's overcoat breast pocket.

It seems rare for a modern coat to even have a breast pocket.

Nice touch. Keeps em' handy for those occcasions when you have slap someone across the face with them.

Shall we say pistols at dawn?

:p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
You can also wear a pocket watch in the breast pocket. (Franklin Roosevelt sometimes did.) You put the watch chain's bar through the back of the lapel's boutonniere hole. The bar will rest across the front of the hole, anchoring the watch chain. The chain will then hang down vertically from the back of the lapel hole, and enter the breast pocket (where the watch itself lies hidden).

Never, ever have both a pocket watch AND a pocket handkerchief in the breast pocket at the same time.

This is what I'm talking about. You can also see Roosevelt's "Phi Beta Kappa" key hanging on the chain:

Presidents007.jpg

Wyoming Jade

New in Town
Help with Handkerchiefs

I'm looking for a really quality handkerchiefs - as in 1200 threadcount Egyptian cotton perhaps... Any ideas, suggestions, please point me in the right direction...

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Where to Find Pocket Squares

Ebay has them, as does the rest of the internet. But where at your local shops do you find them. What shops have consecutively struck you with luck with vintage or new handkerchiefs?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Syms Clothing, a big-box outlet in greater NYC will occasionally have silk Polo hankeys for $8. I scored a bunch of beautiful paisleys last time they did this. They routinely offer colored cheapo silks for $3 apiece - good for filling out the color gaps in the wardrobe.

panamag8or

Practically Family
I have a small pile of hanky cards from different old dry cleaners in Gainesville, FL, in a variety of colors. I even have a couple of orange and blue ones for my Gators. They come in handy with a suit.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
I've actually found a regular stream of silk squares (not sure if they were originally handkercheifs or napkins) at a local second-hand shop. Give 'em a wash and they make for a perfect pocket square. [huh]

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner