Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handkerchiefs and Pocket Squares

ortega76

Practically Family
Believe it or not, I've picked up a dozen patterned pocket squares from K & G, a discount menswear chain, for $1 each. I believe they are remnants from fabric used for ties. The great thing is that I've picked up some unusual colors that are often accents in a tie but not the main color of the tie (like peach) or some common color combinations (black and red). I admit I usually mix my suits and jackets for a "hipster" look, often going tieless. A pocket square helps me stay a bit civilized. I also have some more expensive pieces from a clothing store in town, Kuhn's. The one pocket square that gets the most use is my solid black silk. I wear a lot of black shirts lately.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Men's Wearhouse for solid-colored ones
Filene's Basement for solids and prints by Geoffrey Beene, Polo, and occasionally Gucci and Armani
Brooks Brothers
Jos. A Bank
Ralph Lauren
A local shop in downtown DC called Wm. Fox & Co.

I always find silk squares on sale at Sym's, Filene's Basement, or Daffy's for $10 or so, but the problem is they're so big. Anyone else notice this about modern silks? The vintage silks can be folded and stuffed in the pocket without a bulge, but the new ones are about twice the size and I'm walking around with a lump on my chest.

I've purchased a few solids from http://www.kottydesign.com/pocsquarclas.html Good quality and size.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Carlton for Men, Fredericksburg, Va

I just bought a burgundy silk square this past weekend. Carlton has a basket full in the $10-$15 range, solids, stripes and paisley. Although I had a bit of a time getting the "Sydney Opera House" fold pressed into it (posted elsewhere here on the FL). These are new squares, not vintage, but quality. If you have an opportunity to stop in, see Travis, a gentleman in the true southern tradition who appreciates vintage (Gray, not Blue mind you!;) ).

http://www.carltonformen.com/accessories.htm

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Sears! How much more classic America can you get. They dont have the fancies. But they have the classics. Sears always has a ready stock of pocket squares.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Tony in Tarzana said:
I just stood around on the deck of the Queen Mary and one appeared in my pocket. :)

They have miniature ghosts on the ship as well, eh? One must have gotten drunk and passed out in your pocket.
ghostmx4.jpg

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
After a good deal of searching, I discovered that Amazon sells a good array of pocket squares from various sellers. Some nice linen ones from Jos Banks ($35) and some decent cotton ones from elsewhere ($1.50), etc. As with any Amazon order, it's great to be able to choose from a variety of sellers, but they really hit you with the shipping.

moustache

Practically Family
Thanks Adam

adamgottschalk said:
After a good deal of searching, I discovered that Amazon sells a good array of pocket squares from various sellers. Some nice linen ones from Jos Banks ($35) and some decent cotton ones from elsewhere ($1.50), etc. As with any Amazon order, it's great to be able to choose from a variety of sellers, but they really hit you with the shipping.

I never would have thought of Amazon.
I did oick up a nice paisley one at John Helmer last week for $22 that goes with almost all of my ties!!! Photos later !!

JD

griffer

Practically Family
I have had cotton from Lord & Taylor & linen from Jos. A Banks.

My favorite is irish linen, but it was always so expensive. I actually got my current set in Berlin, 'cause the price was right.

Now, I may be breaking some cardinal law, but the only silk pocket square I wear is with my tux. I am thinking of making the jump.

For daily suits and blazer, I use a variety of square or peaked folds with white pocket squares.

I got a bad habit from one of my sartorial role models, an old executive at my company. He was a very natty dresser and favored the bow tie. He used his squares to blow his nose, or clean his glasses. He was an ex marine.

I also insist on actually using them. I have offered them to women at funerals, wedding and plays when they start to tear up. I clean my glasses with them. I use my pocket hanky for nose and spills though.

Some how it takes an 'prissiness' out of the modern perception when you can say, 'Oh, this? No, it's not just for show...'.

That and I get sick of people asking if its a 'real' bow tie or if the pocket square is 'real'. Have you seen those cards the sell with material stapled to it? Instant square, no need to fold. The sell them next to clip-on ties. :eusa_doh:

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I agree with griffer in using hankies (unless they're silk and you take snuff). I tend to carry a spare cotton hanky,.
For example, I got some dirt on my shoe last night and used my hanky to brush it off. I still think blowing your nose into a hanky and placing it back into your breast pocket is a little gross, but for nasal drip and sweat- I'm all for it! I use my hanky for sweat everyday!
I find that the cotton hankies are more absorbent than the linen ones, so I tend to use those more.
Also, the modern linen ones seem to be quite bulky, almost too bulky to fit into the pocket of my jacket. Am I just not folding it enough?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ghos7a55assin said:
What's the difference between Irish linen and plain ol' linen? Finer? Thicker?
The Irish tag isn't qualitative per se, but merely that the fabric was woven in Ireland of flax that was spun in Ireland or elsewhere. There are varying grades but at its best, Irish linen is unsurpassed in quality. IMO, it has more body or guts than say Italian linen. Linen is to Ireland, what cashmere is to Scotland.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd like some jaquard silks or brocades to match my '30s and '40s ties. Been looking for a long time to no avail.

...I'm a cheap ba***rd, too...I can't see paying more than $5 for a pocket square. I picked up a great navy blue paisley brocade square from BCF for $2.50 last week...shame there wasn't a matching tie anywhere in sight! It might as well have been a '30s NOS fabric for all I could tell.

If you're picky and hard to please as I am, you'll have a tough time. But there's plenty to be found.

...if you're not going to use it to wipe your nose, the actual fabric content, other than bragging rights or accuracy, seems rather pointless. It's purely decorative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy