Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handsome Fellas!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I have to admit that I don’t care what my fella wears as long as he is spectacular, and I have the pleasure of knowing some really spectacular men! My last sweetheart wore cornrows and baggy jeans and always looked great. My most recent crush always seems to be dressed like a Black Panther, which is also a look I like. But both fellas are brilliant, self-confident men that dedicate their lives to their communities, making them much more gorgeous than some average Joe in an expensive suit.

But, if we’re talking true vintage style, I would have to say that if Paul Robeson came back from the grave I would hunt him down and ask him to marry me. Not just for his clothing, of course, but he did have great style, and his large size just made his clothing drape so beautifully. He was a man most women couldn't resist. He was also one of the smartest, most passionate men of his generation; had he worn a paper bag he still would have been a legend in my eyes.

And has anyone on this board ever discussed Andre 3000? He seems like someone all the ladies would agree on - I know I dig him!

Andre
images532983_Andre3000.jpg

Paul Robeson
paul-robeson.jpg

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
Hm. I think a lot of it is the attitude and self-confidence a man has towards his clothes. If a guy is comfortable in a suit, he'll look it and it comes off sexy. If he's uncomfortable and choking on his tie, then the suit needs to go.

But I'd say more than anything, a good hat worn right will always grab my attention above anything else. I'll look twice, no matter if he's in jeans and a t-shirt or a three-piece suit. Hats... that's where it's at for me.

Oh, and the no undershirt thing? Whether the guy likes a suit or not, if he wears a dress shirt without an undershirt, it's an instant huge turn-off to me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rebecca D said:
I have to admit that I don’t care what my fella wears as long as he is spectacular, and I have the pleasure of knowing some really spectacular men! My last sweetheart wore cornrows and baggy jeans and always looked great. My most recent crush always seems to be dressed like a Black Panther, which is also a look I like. But both fellas are brilliant, self-confident men that dedicate their lives to their communities, making them much more gorgeous than some average Joe in an expensive suit.

But, if we’re talking true vintage style, I would have to say that if Paul Robeson came back from the grave I would hunt him down and ask him to marry me. Not just for his clothing, of course, but he did have great style, and his large size just made his clothing drape so beautifully. He was a man most women couldn't resist. He was also one of the smartest, most passionate men of his generation; had he worn a paper bag he still would have been a legend in my eyes.

And has anyone on this board ever discussed Andre 3000? He seems like someone all the ladies would agree on - I know I dig him!

Andre
images532983_Andre3000.jpg

Paul Robeson
paul-robeson.jpg

GIRL!
You must be readin my mind. Whoo hoo, Mr. Robeson is mighty fine. If you have a hankerin for Andre 3000, and (who dosent) then Im sure you are familure with the film Idlewild coming out http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/idlewild/ I cant wait!

LD

Shimmy Sally

The refined, yet clean-cut look does it for me. I love the look of a vintage tailored suit (if it doesn't fit well, it doesn't count), with a unique tie, pocket watch, wingtips, two-tones, hat, cufflinks, tie tack, money clip, pinstripes, that sort of thing. A man in a suit can be deceiving and will always look respectable to me, even if he's a complete creep. I agree with Mrs MK about the wholesome suspenders thing.
I judge men harshly by their shoes. I like men in certain dress shoes, various types of boots. I don't like men in side-elastic loafers, sandals, boat shoes. We've already been over my strange fetish for sock garters. Maybe it's just the attention to detail.
The ex had a collection of odd vintage canes. I'm not kinky, but I liked that.
For casual, I like men in draped slacks, canvas high tops, with a button down shirt (bowling, Hawaiian, paneled).
I love the hairstyle that is short at the sides and back, then a wavy mop on top. You know, hangs in the eyes when not greased back? No facial hair, aside from the occasional guy with well trimmed rockabilly sideburns -- that's hot with a pompadour or without. I've dated a guy or two who sported a soul patch or a pencil mustache and don't care for either. Also dated the imitation Sailor Jerry from head-to-foot and could do without that. I prefer a man who doesn't feel obligated to "prove his dedication to the scene" with dozens of tattoos and who doesn't go on and on about the "rules of the inner circle". I like low-key men who do their own thing rather than try to fit into a clique.
Strangely, I also like the tight classic motorcycle patent leather on a skinny guy look, when I get the mood (after a couple screwdrivers).
I won't even get into my thing about buff guys in kilts tossing cabers...
The best accessory any man can have is a thick wallet.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Shimmy Sally said:
The refined, yet clean-cut look does it for me. I love the look of a vintage tailored suit (if it doesn't fit well, it doesn't count), with a unique tie, pocket watch, wingtips, two-tones, hat, cufflinks, tie tack, money clip, pinstripes, that sort of thing. A man in a suit can be deceiving and will always look respectable to me, even if he's a complete creep. I agree with Mrs MK about the wholesome suspenders thing.
I judge men harshly by their shoes. I like men in certain dress shoes, various types of boots. I don't like men in side-elastic loafers, sandals, boat shoes. We've already been over my strange fetish for sock garters. Maybe it's just the attention to detail.
The ex had a collection of odd vintage canes. I'm not kinky, but I liked that.
For casual, I like men in draped slacks, canvas high tops, with a button down shirt (bowling, Hawaiian, paneled).
I love the hairstyle that is short at the sides and back, then a wavy mop on top. You know, hangs in the eyes when not greased back? No facial hair, aside from the occasional guy with well trimmed rockabilly sideburns -- that's hot with a pompadour or without. I've dated a guy or two who sported a soul patch or a pencil mustache and don't care for either. Also dated the imitation Sailor Jerry from head-to-foot and could do without that. I prefer a man who doesn't feel obligated to "prove his dedication to the scene" with dozens of tattoos and who doesn't go on and on about the "rules of the inner circle". I like low-key men who do their own thing rather than try to fit into a clique.
Strangely, I also like the tight classic motorcycle patent leather on a skinny guy look, when I get the mood (after a couple screwdrivers).

What are boat shoes?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There are two kinds of boat shoes.

One is made of leather, and looks like a moccasin -- except that it has (usually) white rubber soles.

The other is made of cotton canvas, and looks like an oxford with metal eyelets. It has a thicker rubber sole with rubber running along the sides.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
There are two kinds of boat shoes.

One is made of leather, and looks like a moccasin -- except that it has (usually) white rubber soles.

The other is made of cotton canvas, and looks like an oxford with metal eyelets. It has a thicker rubber sole with rubber running along the sides.

Merci, Mnsr. Chevalier. J'apprends tellement de vous.

J

Caledonia

Practically Family
Shimmy Sally said:
I judge men harshly by their shoes....
I love the hairstyle that is short at the sides and back, then a wavy mop on top. You know, hangs in the eyes when not greased back?...

Shoes - me too.
Hairstyle - you're not going for Hugh Grant are you?
Kilts - It's not the caber, it's the way the kilt kicks up at the back when they launch that thing across the field. You don't often get to see a guy's leg, and I think it's similar to the victorian times when a ladies ankle glimpsed beneath the long skirts would sent the men all a flutter.
Wallet - Of course, a man with money has a lot of advantages!

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Caledonia said:
Shoes - me too.
Hairstyle - you're not going for Hugh Grant are you?
Kilts - It's not the caber, it's the way the kilt kicks up at the back when they launch that thing across the field. You don't often get to see a guy's leg, and I think it's similar to the victorian times when a ladies ankle glimpsed beneath the long skirts would sent the men all a flutter.
Wallet - Of course, a man with money has a lot of advantages!

Wallet...I'm beginning to see a trend here...thank goodness I just about have that one covered.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
What makes me swoon is a man who has a short hair cut, with some grey at the temples..or even throughout. What I also have always loved is a goatee on a man.
A good cologne will always turn my head. Mix that with wearing a 3 piece suit, and you've got one hot man!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
GIRL!
You must be readin my mind. Whoo hoo, Mr. Robeson is mighty fine. If you have a hankerin for Andre 3000, and (who dosent) then Im sure you are familure with the film Idlewild coming out http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/idlewild/ I cant wait!

LD

Oh yes! I'm VERY familiar with this movie and can't wait to see it.

Lady Day, are you familiar with Leon? He's been in several period pieces, my favorites being "Once Upon a Time When We Were Colored" and "Ali" (he played the cop that infiltrated the Nation of Islam). He's brilliant, and I hear he's a reggae singer, too!

leon_120.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rebecca D said:
Oh yes! I'm VERY familiar with this movie and can't wait to see it.

Lady Day, are you familiar with Leon? He's been in several period pieces, my favorites being "Once Upon a Time When We Were Colored" and "Ali" (he played the cop that infiltrated the Nation of Islam). He's brilliant, and I hear he's a reggae singer, too!

leon_120.jpg

Ah yes, Leon of 'The 5 Hearbeats'. I know him well. But if I had my choice of fellas to swoon by in period film, it would be Isaiah Washington in 'Mr. and Mrs. Loving'.

I couldnt find a pic of him in that film, but here he is anyhow :D

251_a_normal.jpg

LD

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FedoraGent said:
I'm sure she said that in jest.

Really? Dang, I was just about to have all my money changed to $1 bills. lol

Back on topic...

As a goatee wearer myself, I'd like to hear some more opinions on them. Trimmed close, longer, etc. Not fishing for compliments, just looking for tips.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Facial hair is lovely, on guys :)

I prefer a gotee (as seen in the pic I posted above :) ), or a full few day old scruff. Oh, yummy.

On a siide note, a few of the ladies mentioned how they swoon for the workin man, I agree, but the part of the workin man that gets me going is his hands. You can always tell a workin man by his hands. Smooth hands of someone who hasn't done a job that involves lifting need not apply.

This was an economic post, two responces in one!

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Isaiah Washington is pretty hot. Leon is quasi hot. He himself is a hottie but, he always plays the bad druggie guy in the movies, that image sometimes gets superimposed on him by me.

Tony- I like a nice thick goatee, nicely trimmed but not over groomed. OH! Feels so great against the face :D .

And Lady Day is right, a man with nice strong, "I've done some real work in my life" hands is wonderful. Nice big strong hands and arms for nice big strong hugs. Wow! ;) :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy