Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Handsome Fellas!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Aside from handsome and charming already here on the Lounge...

my votes for men from the Golden Era are:
Fred Astaire
Jimmy Stewart
William Powell
Gene Kelly
Danny Kaye!

New actors- my list is mostly from them being in costume dramas and comedies. And since I don't watch TV or follow current stuff that much I'm not up on the new gents at all:
Ralph Fiennes
Pierce Brosnan
Antonio Banderas
James MacAvoy
Johnny Depp
Cary Elwes
Colin Firth

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Amen sister! I'd rather see Colin Firth or Cary Elwes in historical garb, or a gent on the FL in a vintage 40s DB suit anyday...
ValenciaCalling said:
What most men don't understand is that women would rather see them in a well-tailored suit instead of their birthday suit! ;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Uh, for Hugh Jackman I might be willing to let him be the exception. He looked FABULOUS in the film The Prestige. And he can sing too!

ValenciaCalling said:
What most men don't understand is that women would rather see them in a well-tailored suit instead of their birthday suit! ;)

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
?

Hola senoritas,
I'm taking notes.

Sorry I peaked! I'll get lost now. :eusa_doh:

But let me say I wish there were more pictures of you ladies on TFL.

:cool2:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello Havana Joe and welcome to the Lounge!! I personally think you look darn handsome in these pics! You look very dashing in the brown suit and red tie, and you'll look even more so in a vintage suit!! You'll want a 1940s DB suit of course. There are men here such as Marc Chevalier and Paddy, who can no doubt assist you in the journey for a good vintage suit. See Matt Deckard or Magnoli if custom is more your route.

I'm in No. California, out here gents go to see "The Don" Roberto Isola or "The Style Enforcer" as he is also called. His vintage clothing biz is City Vintage- he's in Daly City, very close to San Francisco. My husband got both of his vintage 1940s DB suits from him. He previously had only sport coats and his single button tuxedo and white tie and tails, but never a suit. Now he's got the two vintage suits and hats and an authentic WWII officer's uniform-he's hooked on the vintage look! Actually, the whole family is- our young son (age almost 13yo) even more so than our daughter (almost 15yo).

Have you got any hats? I'm assuming you've seen the "What hat are you wearing today?" thread here. The gents that hang out there are all very helpful and informative. They post pics and talk about the new and vintage hats they have. With the warm season, you might want to start with a Panama, Montecristo or other straw...

This thread here is a good one for ideas from pics of Golden Era actors and how they dressed and groomed themselves. There are other threads too, just start going through the post categories, such as Suits, etc.

A key undercurrent from what a lot of us ladies are saying here- grooming and being well dressed in a classic stylish way is important-those are good things! Taking care of yourself and your looks, isn't selfish and narcissistic, its just being smart!! Watch out, if you get hooked on the vintage look a pencil moustache may very well be in your future... Old fashioned chivalry and acting like a real gentleman goes along way with the ladies on or off the the Lounge. Most of the current actors today can't hold a candle to the actors of the 1930s and 1940s. If you aren't watching films of the Golden Era, you should consider doing so- they really knew how to look sharp, act like real men and treat ladies right back then. Being able to dance was a plus too...:)

If you pack a rod, you may also want to at some point check out the WWII section threads, and get connected to those that hang out there. Our family recently got connected to WWII social group, called BAWMHRS (Bay Area Women's and Men's Historical Representation Society) and we most recently participated with them in the Memorial Day Ceremonies in SF.

Have you got an Art Deco Society where you are in CO? Great avenue to get together in vintage clothes with others at events that are fun for singles or couples that love the era 1920-WWII, especially the music from it. We are also members of our local Art Deco Society. I met my husband ballroom dancing!

I'm personally not a big fan of cigars myself, but a pipe- very dashing! hmmm I love the smell of pipe tobacco - very Golden Era!

Havana Joe said:
Hola senoritas,
I'm taking notes.

Throw your criticisms as you like-I can use your opinion.[huh]

HangingLake014.jpg

RMNTN.jpg

MeRestaurant.jpg

I need a good vintage style suit. As an exiled Cuban, I must start emulating the style of my dad and uncles. I remember they wore hats when I was a kid.
I smoke cigars and a pipe, and I may have a gun on me in a picture. Hope those don't count against me too much.[huh]

Sorry I peaked! I'll get lost now. :eusa_doh:

But let me say I wish there were more pictures of you ladies on TFL.

:cool2:

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
chanteuseCarey

Thank you for the generous complement!

I am somewhat embarrassed. I assumed it was a thread for posting pics and getting helpful suggestions, and then realized it was for gals posting pics of men they consider handsome. I quickly recalled Benny Hill's skit about assuming and deleted the pics-but alas, I have been found out and exposed!
:eek:

I own an Akubra Federation, an Akubra Territory, and one of those golf type caps that I always forget the name of.

My uncle Armando, who I was very close to, used to wear a hat all the time, and he smoked a pipe. I have always liked how they dressed in the 30s and 40s, even on an adventure! I own The Maltese Falcon, but need to get more of that era's films.

As far as rods of the era, I have a 1911 and a WW2 S&W Model 10.

Here is a pic of me in my fedora outside of church. You are correct about the off-the-shelf suit-it makes me look 50 pounds heavier than the extra 25 I accumulated lately.

MEFedora.jpg

I actually subscribed to Classic Style two years ago, but with the craziness of my life lately, the issues have gone unread into a box. I hope to resubscribe asap! I will also look into the suggestions you made.

Here's a pic of my dad, and some aunts and uncles in Cuba. My dad is sitting wearing a pith helmet behind the girl on the right.

FamilyCuba.jpg

Again, thanks for the generous complement and the suggestions! And my apologies for jamming myself in here!

Havana Joe

JennyLou

Practically Family
ValenciaCalling said:
I totally agree! I go weak at the knees when I see a guy in a suit.
Some modern actors that I think are handsome fellas are Will Smith, Don Cheadle, Ron Livingston, Hugh Laurie and Denzel Washington

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Eyemo said:
Met and filmed these Guys on Band of Brothers..Nice people...Dave Schwimmer was a really nice guy too...:eusa_clap

Hey Eyemo...were you in the scene during the battle of the bulge where they took that town in Belgium..I remember seeing a guy filming them singing in color film...looked like you and then a sniper shot one of the guys. :eek:fftopic: Sorry.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Havana Joe said:
chanteuseCarey

Thank you for the generous complement!

I am somewhat embarrassed. I assumed it was a thread for posting pics and getting helpful suggestions, and then realized it was for gals posting pics of men they consider handsome. I quickly recalled Benny Hill's skit about assuming and deleted the pics-but alas, I have been found out and exposed!
:eek:

I own an Akubra Federation, an Akubra Territory, and one of those golf type caps that I always forget the name of.

My uncle Armando, who I was very close to, used to wear a hat all the time, and he smoked a pipe. I have always liked how they dressed in the 30s and 40s, even on an adventure! I own The Maltese Falcon, but need to get more of that era's films.

As far as rods of the era, I have a 1911 and a WW2 S&W Model 10.

Here is a pic of me in my fedora outside of church. You are correct about the off-the-shelf suit-it makes me look 50 pounds heavier than the extra 25 I accumulated lately.

MEFedora.jpg

I actually subscribed to Classic Style two years ago, but with the craziness of my life lately, the issues have gone unread into a box. I hope to resubscribe asap! I will also look into the suggestions you made.

Here's a pic of my dad, and some aunts and uncles in Cuba. My dad is sitting wearing a pith helmet behind the girl on the right.

FamilyCuba.jpg

Again, thanks for the generous complement and the suggestions! And my apologies for jamming myself in here!

Havana Joe

Havana Joe? What year did you come over? My dad came over during the 70s I think...my grandfather was jailed in 61 or 62 in Guantanamo.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
Hey

Hello Granada,

We got hear in 1968-took a flight on Pan-Am. I was 11 months old! Somewhere I have the little folding knife with the Pan AM logo they gave to passengers. Can you imagine that: an airline handing out mini-folding knives to passengers!

Anyway, sorry girls!:eek:fftopic:

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
OOPS!

scotrace said:
Gentlemen! Really, take it up in PM. This is a thread for girls swooning over their own choices....
:eusa_doh:
Sorry! My fault. I started this by not looking at the thread purpose in the first place. My apologies and farewell!:eek:

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
I love this thread so much!!!

This may initially seem odd, but I'm going to post a picture of my grandfather on his wedding day (1939). I believe that only the most dapper men in the world can wear a white suit well. Nothing compares to it! I love a man in a white suit. ;)

sc00029676.jpg

Also, have you ladies (and gentlemen looking for fashion tips!) visited this blog? Not mine, but I drool over it daily. She finds style icons from the past (recently Charles Lindbergh and Rudolph Valentino!) and shows how to recreate details from their style.

;)

Shirin

A-List Customer
I adore Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra, especially in the cute sailor outfits.
the_frank_sinatra_and_gene_kelly_collection_dvd.jpg

Also I really like Danny Kaye, but more for his wit and charming personality He seems like fantastic company!
dannykaye2.jpg

And I know some don't agree but I really love Johnny Depp, he is very easy on the eyes!
johnny-depp.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot