Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hanging pants

Canadave

One Too Many
Do you do so folded over a hanger, clipped at the cuff and hanging full length, clipped at the waistband and hanging full length or other?

I do 1 and 2, but I just received a pair back from the cleaners hanging full length clipped at the waist, which seems to make sense because any marks or depressions left by the clip would be covered by a belt.

David

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I hang them by the cuffs, the weight serves to remove wrinkles.

no75001.gif

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Folded over a hanger. I have only so much room in my closet for long garments, and that is taken up by dresses. I just don't fold my pants over a wire hanger without the cardboard tube.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Savile Row fold:

One leg over the hanger one way, the other leg over from the other side of the hanger. That way they can't slip off very easily, and you can keep the contact with the hangerlow in the leg, which eliminates any fold marks.

I also clip the cuffs on some trou.

Canadave

One Too Many
scotrace said:
The Savile Row fold:

One leg over the hanger one way, the other leg over from the other side of the hanger. That way they can't slip off very easily, and you can keep the contact with the hangerlow in the leg, which eliminates any fold marks...

I think I can picture this, but am not sure how it would eliminate fold marks. [huh]

David

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's hard to describe.

It seems that the even pressure on the pant legs prevents it. And the higher onto the hanger the pants are pulled, the more chance for gathering/wrinkling/bunching. So this helps with that.

I need to do a pic.

This was illustrated in the recent special edition Guide published by Esquire last year.

From Esquire:
Need to stop your suit trousers from falling off their hangers? Try the Savile Row fold, perfected over generations by the staff at London's finest custom-tailoring emporiums. Start with the trousers upside down and straddling the hanger you choose. Fold one leg in through the hanger, dropping the bottom hem in between until it sits just above the crotch. Fold the second trouser leg over the first and through the hanger. Shake the hanger. Nothing happens. Clever, isn't it?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I simply fold them over a hanger. I used to clip them by the waistband (using suspender clips tied to the hanger) but I started to notice some extra wear in the area. And now I want to try the Saville Row fold!

Canadave

One Too Many
scotrace said:
It's hard to describe...[/I]

Thanks for that. Sounds pretty cool, although pants falling off the hanger isn't a big problem for me. I still don't quite understand how it avoids fold marks if hung for a long time, like over a couple of seasons. I'll give it a try, though.

David

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Canadave said:
I still don't quite understand how it avoids fold marks if hung for a long time, like over a couple of seasons.
It doesn't. When I bring out my seasonal wardrobe from storage (SR fold) it takes but a few days of being hung by their heel for the trousers to lose that fold mark, even linen.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I hang all slacks and pants, including jeans and cords (which I hang dry, no ironing), by the cuff. The Saville-Row fold sounds like the thing in a pinch. Reminds me of something my mother showed me a long time ago: how to fold a vest for packing. You turn one side of the vest so it's inside out and slide it under the side that's right side out. Fold from there. Works like a charm.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
The Savile Row fold:

One leg over the hanger one way, the other leg over from the other side of the hanger. That way they can't slip off very easily, and you can keep the contact with the hangerlow in the leg, which eliminates any fold marks.

I also clip the cuffs on some trou.

I'm trying to visualize this. Hoping to find a picture, I did a Google search for "Savile Row fold hanger" and found a very brief article from Esquire magazine at http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2004/060509_mfe_December_04_Style_Secret.html?par=msn_h%7Cesq%7Cemb%7C. It offers an alternative text description.

This is really the sort of thing that would be best explained with animation. Any skilled Flash animators out there?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
DeeDub said:
I'm trying to visualize this. Hoping to find a picture, I did a Google search for "Savile Row fold hanger" and found a very brief article from Esquire magazine at http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2004/060509_mfe_December_04_Style_Secret.html?par=msn_h%7Cesq%7Cemb%7C. It offers an alternative text description.

This is really the sort of thing that would be best explained with animation. Any skilled Flash animators out there?

I don't know a thing about Flash, but this is a very, very crude Paint illustration of how it works. This would be a side view--a cross-section of the hanger bar in the middle.

SavileRowFold.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A picture is worth a ............

BTW, the right cuff would meet the crotch of the trousers.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I notice that Orgetorix beat me to the Esquire reference. There is a description of this method on page 133 of Esquire's Big Black Book 2006 as well. I have found some useful tips on cleaning an maintaining clothing. They also have a timeline on pages 162-163 "The Long, Slow Decline of the American Hat" from 1772 through 2006. No text, but an interesting selection of images.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner