Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanging thin-ribbon hat on wall hook: ribbon end gets wrinkled.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I'd been hanging my hats on wall hooks, until I got my first hat with the classic thin ribbon (Stratoliner, Campdraft, etc) layout. When I hang this hat on the hook, the forward end of the ribbon gets pulled away from the brim via gravity, giving it a wrinkled look after it falls back. If there was a good way to tack this end of the ribbon down, I would appreciate knowing about it. The hat is a natural colored hemp milan and the ribbon is a contrasting chocolate brown.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Unfortunately I don't know how that could be done without the thread showing on either the ribbon or the underside of the brim.

Of course it'll show on the ribbon, just as the tack spots already show on your ribbon, which is very little. You should not have to go all the way through the brim for a single tack though.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
My 3 CDs and my Bushman are the only hats I own that don't live in boxes ... They live here

4e87dfcd266b0265da99f73f8c5e1e02.jpg

And I believe this is what you are talking about

aebcf5f84f6647a4590088f9256f0cd8.jpg

When I have a few minutes to spare I'll fire up the steamer and hit it with steam for 2 seconds and I'm out the door .

But when I don't feel like firing up the steamer I literally breathe on it about four or five times then stroke it straight with my finger ... Works every time

I'm not a fan of putting a needle and thread through my hats if I don't need to

Breath works just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
And I believe this is what you are talking about

aebcf5f84f6647a4590088f9256f0cd8.jpg

When I'm wearing one of my thin ribbons like these regularly in the rotation I hang them where they are easily available near the door.

I encountered this "hat wearers aggravation" also.

I use a very fine straight pin and stick it in the ribbon end and into the felt, not through the felt just barley into the felt. It holds the ribbon end in place so it doesn't sag or flop over.

Using a very thin (fine) pin hasn't harmed ribbon or felt.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Personally, I'm in the do nothing camp. I usually temporarily store hats on their crown, so both ends of the ribbon on a CD twist and don't lie perfectly. It's a casual hat, so I don't need everything to be perfect.

Roger

Nyah

One of the Regulars
The easiest method, which does what I want, seems to be periodically steam-ironing it with my breath/finger so, the prize goes to: Moontheloon.

Yay! Now I feel confident enough to order another one of these hats. Thanks to all for the replies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24