Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Chanukah!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's just an English transliteration of the Hebrew word, so there's really no "correct" spelling. "Chanukah" has been my preferred spelling for a long time - but when I was a kid, I think "Hanukkah" was the most common form.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Gersh, how do you pronounce that? Could you be so kind as to spell it out phonetically for us? I've got a good friend who is jewish and would LOVe to hear me say that to her! :)

Cheers,

Craig

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by farnham54
Gersh, how do you pronounce that?

Let me jump in on this, in case you see your friend before Gersh comes back. He's probably busy frying latkes. (Mmmmmmm...latkes! :))

Craig, the tough part is the "ch" which occurs in each of these words. It's a sound not used in English. It's sort of like clearing your throat. Think of the "ch" in the German "achtung".

Once you've got that, it's fairly easy.

Chag - almost rhymes with "hug", but with that "ch" sound.

Sameach - needs to be separated like so; Same-ach. "Same" rhymes with "rummy" with the emphasis on the last syllable, then you add that "ach" as in "achtung".

Chanukah - pretty straightforward, but remember the "ch", and the "u" is an "oo" sound.

Hope that's clear. Gersh, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, Craig, depending on your friend's upbringing, she may not actually understand this. For example, I recognise it as a holiday greeting, but I don't know what the literal translation is. If you just said Happy Chanukah, and pronounced it correctly, she'd be impressed!

Good luck,

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21