Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Independence Day

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
So 200 years after the Revolution, an Englishman asks an American, "Now that you have taxation with representation, how do you like it?"

Yeh! It's called 'Taxation with MISrepresentation!' It's time for another
Revolutionsmall.jpg
...that'll start some fireworks!

-dixon cannon

Nashoba

One Too Many
FatherTom said:
Sadly I will be spending my nation's birthday half way around the globe. So the rest of you, party just that much more for me. (And what better way to celebrate the Independence of your country then exploding a small part of it?)

I'll light a sparkler for ya :) It's about as daring as I get with the explosives. That's my husband's department so in his absence I'll have to settle for watching the neighborhood kids blow stuff up. I must say though it is nice to live in a place where they're legal. When we were in SoCal they were legal in the next county over but not ours :(. Where we are in TN, pretty much anything goes....

Happy Independence Day Y'all. I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamesp, thank you very much for that piece at the beginning of this post. That puts so much into perspective. Thank you.

Happy Independence Day America! And may we continue to prosper and grow as a nation!

panamag8or

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Let's keep to the history and not stray far into politics.

Regards,

J

So, I shouldn't say "Read the rest of the declaration, and see how easily it could be applied to today's government"?

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
jamesp, thank you very much for that piece at the beginning of this post. That puts so much into perspective. Thank you.

Happy Independence Day America! And may we continue to prosper and grow as a nation!

I'd like to thank jamespowers too, and thank you plain old dave for your piece.

Technonut

Practically Family
The Flag Goes By

Henry Holcomb Bennett

Hats off!

Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums,
A flash of color beneath the sky:
Hats off!
The flag is passing by!

Blue and crimson and white it shines,
Over the steel-tipped, ordered lines.
Hats off!
The colors before us fly;
But more than the flag is passing by.

Sea-fights and land-fights, grim and great,
Fought to make and to save the State:
Weary marches and sinking ships;
Cheers of victory on dying lips;

Days of plenty and years of peace;
March of a strong land's swift increase;
Equal justice, right, and law,
Stately honor and reverend awe;

Sign of a nation, great and strong
Toward her people from foreign wrong:
Pride and glory and honor,--all
Live in the colours to stand or fall.

Hats off!

Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums;
And loyal hearts are beating high:

Hats off!

The Flag is passing by!

Edward

Bartender
Happy birthday, USA... no country on this earth, nor its inhabitants, is perfect, but it'd be hard ever to argue I hadn't found more to love than loathe about the US. Hope y'all have a good one - in true retro style, naturally! :)

plain old dave

A-List Customer
As we approach the Fourth of July holiday, let us take a moment to stop and consider some Good Things that we as Americans can experience.... Unlike the case in many countries, people of faith of all creeds or denominations can go to the place of worship of their choice (or stay home) at will. In some nations, church attendance is a criminal act; I am aware of Vietnamese Christians that have spent YEARS in prison for the mere act of going to church. In other nations, failure to attend religious services can be cause for violence if not outright criminal action.

Here in America, we can share our faith with our fellow Americans without fear of violence or arrest.

Here in America, even a poor person more likely than not will have their own car, a paying job, a dwelling (whether apartment, or house) they don't have to share with another family.

Here in America, we have a masterfully written Constitution based in good part on the Bible that has endured for over 200 years. Some countries have had several just in the post WW2 era.

Here in America, we vote for elective leaders in regular, nonviolent elections. When a party loses, we expect a peaceful transition of power.

Here in America, we can purchase just about any kind of firearm we choose to, AND use it in defense of our person and expect to be able to offer self-defense as a defense against criminal charges in court.

Here in America, we can travel from place to place without specific government permission.

Here in America, we can access whatever information we wish on the Internet without governmental blocking of web sites.

Here in America, we don't have to fight for freedom in our streets. Instead, we take the idea to the rest of the world; Americans are fighting for freedom in places like Fallujah and Kandahar and not in Dallas, Newark and Atlanta.

There is much more that could be said, but you get the idea.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Looks like rain all day here.

Happy 4th.
"Thomas Jefferson survives." Maybe the most extraordinary thing about July 4 is that Jefferson and Adams both died on the same day - the fourth of July, 1826.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
Looks like rain all day here.

Happy 4th.
"Thomas Jefferson survives." Maybe the most extraordinary thing about July 4 is that Jefferson and Adams both died on the same day - the fourth of July, 1826.
And the irony of that line, since Jefferson had died first.

I believe his last lines were, "Is it the Fourth?"

Happy Independence Day Everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner