Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone ordered a jacket from Japan?

Brettafett

One Too Many
I was wondering if any of you fine worldly-wise gentleman have ever imported a jacket from Japan/ Global Rakuten/ etc...
Specifically interested at Avirex Japan jackets...

Who did you use?
What was your experience?
Any advice?

I know there are members here who have but to me the process has always seemed very complex. I love what I see but struggle to understand any of the details. It's like trying to figure out what the Hell is going on here:

E8.jpg

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have tried ordering things from Rakuten Japan, it hugely depends on the seller/shop. It can be very straight forward or it can be a pain in the neck. But in a way, if it doesn't work, you will get s full refund. Make sure you are looking at an item which is sold by somebody who is willing to do international shipping. You will sometimes find the items on Rakuten Global and yet they are not available internationally, so beware. The other thing is that you will almost certainly need to pay the custom and VAT when it arrives at the UK border, that can be very expensive and frustrating.

kojax

Practically Family
i bought a a2 steve mcqueen jacket from japan very easy i got the jacket it was to big for me i sent it back and they sent me a new size no problems

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some shops on Rakuten will ship overseas and accept overseas credit card/paypal. If they do, just buy directly from them. You will receive emails regarding shipping costs after you placed your order. Some require confirmation of the total amount, some do not.
Exchange is the only problem because quite a few Rakuten sellers do not accept exchange on international.
If the shop does not ship overseas, proxy like Buyee is pretty easy to use. And if dealt through a proxy, you have to read their exchange policy.
So far out of the hundred or so transactions I have had on Rakuten directly and through proxy, I have only had one case when the seller sent the wrong size.
Please however note that some sellers (like LEE Japan) do not ship to well known proxy like Buyee and Tenso and some sellere require COD or bank transfer which as I understand is not supported by Buyee.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Not bought a jacket but I did by a large item from eBay, it got here (UK) in 3 days and it was not a particular special service, a little more than economy air but nothing special.

Superfluous

I have purchased countless items from Japanese retailers, usually direct but a couple of times using Sutocorp. Only once did I have a problem (the actual dimensions varied dramatically from the website and the retailer refused to accept the return -- with E-Bay's and Rakuten's intervention, the retailer ultimately relented). The biggest issue is sizing/fit. Product dimensions, even if accurate, do not tell the entire story in terms of fit. Thus, I have purchased more than one item from Japan that, notwithstanding accurate dimensions, did not fit well. The vast majority of Japanese retailers will not allow returns from overseas buyers. Over time, I have become pretty good at deciphering posted dimensions and my fail rate is now very low.

Brettafett

One Too Many
interesting... Yes, the particular jacket I am looking at, has different measurements (and prices) posted dep on the page ones looking at.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have through Rakuten and it was easy. As long as you know what item you want you just click and go, like any other ordering process. No extra taxes or fees were involved.

Blackadder

The prices on the global page almost always include the 8% Japanese consumption tax. Some sellers will deduct the tax on overseas order but some won't. I usually ask them before ordering unless they specifically say so like Vintage Paradise, Vari and Premium One below. So the overseas price is 8% off the listed price in these shops.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vintage/item/fhsth-72-16fw/
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vari/item/lw-ko-lw00124bk/
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/premiumone/
Both Vintage Paradise and Vari also offer free overseas shipping sometimes. Each shop will list the terms on the shop information page so for example Foot Time specifically state no exchange or return for overseas order.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/foot-time/info/
and MIXX specifically states that the Japanese consumption tax which is already included in the list price will be charged as handling fee for overseas order.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/mix/info/

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I ordered from the Masuya store in Japan about two weeks ago. They accept Paypal and happily shipped overseas (I'm in New York). I received the jacket in 3 days via EMS. If you use them, you'll communicate with Hiroyoshi. His English is pretty darn good and communication in consistently consistent. If he says that he's going to find something out and get back to you, he does. Very friendly and quite helpful.

This was the first time I had ever ordered from Japan. I was a bit intimidated, but it worked out fine. Good luck!

- Ian

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have ordered many times from Japanese retailers, including my RMC jacket because it was a Japan exclusive. Honestly, it has been quite easy. As long as they are willing to ship overseas (most are) it's not too bad. A good way to judge is how quickly how they reply to emails in general.

lina

Practically Family
Not a jacket but I did buy a pair of Rolling Dub Trio boots from a Rakuten seller, Masuya. Could not have gone smoother. I would definitely use that particular seller again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy