Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone owned a US Authentic(flightjacket.com) Sportster jacket?

morrison2951

Practically Family
HH for me as it shows character over time. My 30 year old goat Cooper A-2 still looks the same after all these years.

Bat_Fastard

New in Town
I'd suggest you read up some more on leather varieties. The category "genuine leather" doesn't exist, it's a short hand way of describing all leather from bonded rubbish used for making belts to the best possible cordovan for boots.

The reality is that the best brands and makers don't always use top grain and some of the longest lasting, nicest looking jackets ever posted here (70 years old plus) are not top grain.

How leather looks is usually about how it is tanned and dressed. Get to know what you like; horse or goat or steer, work out what thickness you want and what surface look.

I'm sure you can get top grain leather if that's what floats your boat but you'll need to ask the makers directly. It isn't a factor that gets raised here all that often.
Isn't cordovan generally described as full grain leather?

I had no idea some of the jackets posted here were not top grain, that's what I assumed they were considering how much better they looked with wear and tear. Is there a page you can suggest so I can read up on all of this?

I was expecting a similiar finish to my Red Wing Beckmans essentially, every scratch and scuff is clearly visible, but they buff out and only add to the character of the shoe.
What do you mean by genuine leather..? Seems anything made of animal hide is genuine leather unless I am missing something. Are you suggesting that everything else that's not full grain is classified as just genuine leather..?
HD
With what I'm familiar with, it goes Full grain>Top Grain>Genuine Leather>Split leather/Faux leather in terms of finish and quality.

Now I'm just confused because a lot of things are labelled "genuine leather" and it's really ambiguous.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Don't over think it. Just choose something you like the look of from a reputable company at a price you can afford and you'll be just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo