Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Ads

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The French got a little jealous

[sorry if some of these are re-posts]
(no date)
mossant4.jpg

(no date)
mossant2.jpg

mossant1931.jpg

flechet1937.jpg

Flechet1933.jpg

mossant1938.jpg

mossant1935.jpg

flechet1929.jpg

mossant1950.jpg

(no date)
flechet2.jpg

mingoslim

Practically Family
I am enjoying these so much . . .

I think I will post some of my own . . .

This 1948 Stetson Straw looks quite sporty . . .

stetson1949-straws.jpg

And Mallory showed reall panache in this 1942 ad . . .

mallory1942-townfieldserenade.jpg

More to come after I upload 'em . . . lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I just snag most of the images from ebay, some from random places on the web, and some from other places on the Lounge. These types of ads were everywhere, but especially in Life, Colliers, Esquire (& Apparel Arts), Outdoor Life (for the more sporting models), and the like. Most of them were really common, just as finding ads for Ralph Lauren or Perry Ellis would be today.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
So looking in those mags from the late 30's though the 50's you should come accross them???

I am starting to collect the actual ads ....

thanks for your help

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I would think so. However, depending upon the cost of the magazines, it might just be cheaper to buy the ads. There are hundreds of them in the ebay stores and plenty of online stores selling ads from mags that they've broken down. I guess it just depends upon how particular you're going to be (as to brand, size, style, year, etc.) and what you're willing to spend. If you know of something in particular that you like, the listing on ebay will often include the source of the ad. Then you can compare the cost of buying the ad with the cost of buying the entire mag (if you can find it, and taking into account other ads it may contain).

I should add that the ads in Apparel Arts are great. I've bought my first and only copy recently on ebay, and the large scale, heavy paper, and brilliant colors make the period ads pop like nothing else. I'm currently photographing about 20 pages of the 100 or so per day (I started today), after which I think I may sell it back to ebayland. It's just fantastic, but I'm not much of a collector, and I think I can double my money on this one.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Look in old Saturday Evening Posts as well. I find them in there once in a while. The two I just posted above are in the same Esquire from late 1956.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Please wear a NEW hat! Any NEW hat!

Ads by the Hat Research Foundation

1947 (the only one big enough to be read)
variousstraws1947.jpg

various1947hatad.jpg

variousstraw1947.jpg

variousstraws1946.jpg

mingoslim

Practically Family
How about a couple of less common ads . . .

This Portis, from the 1940s, is one of my all-time favorites . . . love the hats, love the colors, love the lay-out . . . Wish I had a better image:

portis1940s-pathfinderbeacon.jpg

And Disney hats (Not Walt) are always great hats, based upon what I have seen . . . But their ads are harder to come by:

disney1941-stylehits.jpg

This 1919 ad from Mallory is rather nice:

mallory1919a.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
According to the interview of George Rafferty, who managed the Mallory, then Lee, then Sevens factories, in Debbie Henderson's Hat Life, Disney was a division of Lee, which was a mid-range brand and JC Penny's biggest hat supplier. Rafferty called Penny's a fourther (I presume he means fourth rate store) in those days. I just received Henderson's books yesterday and cannot say enough about them and her.

Anyhow, here are the only Disney ads I've got. Again, I'm sure that some of these are repeats.

disney1947.jpg

disney1951.jpg

disney1953.jpg

disney1955.jpg

Here's a more common hat, but a rare ad. I posted this in the Stratoliner Society thread, but it belongs here as well.

stetsonstratoliner1942.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany