Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Cleaning Repair & Restoration: Where?

RossRYoung

Practically Family
Is stitching the sweat to the hat body something anyone’s tried at home? I popped the front 3 stitches on my Stetson Royal and everything’s still in good shape, just stupidly adjusted by tugging on the brim and they went quick with little force. Just would rather not bother with shipping for what seems to be an easy fix. Or maybe a SoCal shop that anyone recommends?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Is stitching the sweat to the hat body something anyone’s tried at home? I popped the front 3 stitches on my Stetson Royal and everything’s still in good shape, just stupidly adjusted by tugging on the brim and they went quick with little force. Just would rather not bother with shipping for what seems to be an easy fix. Or maybe a SoCal shop that anyone recommends?

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stitch-awl-tutorial-sweatband-installation.38010/

See also: Fabri-tac:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer.41576/page-1039#post-2567121

I have some hats needing some work and asked Art at VS if he’s still accepting such work with his pending retirement. Most of the repair and refurbishment work that VS completes is done by David Gibson. David has his own custom hat business as well as doing work for VS. Art introduced David in the VS thread a coupe months back. Art responded to my last inquiry by telling me to deal directly with David. David has confirmed that his rates are the same as what VS was charging. It’s a relief to know that with Arts pending retirement I’ll still have someone I trust to do my refurbishment work.

David Gibson
D Gibson Custom Hats
PO Box 52
Eagle Point, OR 97524

davidgibso@gmail.com

his current queue is approximately 2 months depending on the job.

3c464013bd0d27aec60f8a3491af8dd1.jpg

9d1c0e56fa76121bf717097d07b3a013.jpg

Last edited:

camhabib

New in Town
I have a felt hat that's been through a bit, including recently (accidentally) finding itself under 30lbs of camping gear. Aside from now being in a bit out of shape, it's also just in need of a good cleaning and a bit of general care. I'm located in Boston, MA and would love to find someone local to avoid having to ship, but I'm also quite happy to send it off to someone reputable if that's the best option. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks guys!

I have a felt hat that's been through a bit, including recently (accidentally) finding itself under 30lbs of camping gear. Aside from now being in a bit out of shape, it's also just in need of a good cleaning and a bit of general care. I'm located in Boston, MA and would love to find someone local to avoid having to ship, but I'm also quite happy to send it off to someone reputable if that's the best option. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks guys!
There are numerous hat shops in NY that may do refurbs.....JJ Hat is one that springs to mind. Bencraft advertises themselves as a 'full servie hat shop' In Milwaukie there is an Etsy shop....FineVintageFedoras....Scott does good work at a fair price. If you post the box max size 14x14x7 it should not cost any more than $20 each way.

Who?

Practically Family
There are numerous hat shops in NY that may do refurbs.....JJ Hat is one that springs to mind. Bencraft advertises themselves as a 'full servie hat shop' In Milwaukie there is an Etsy shop....FineVintageFedoras....Scott does good work at a fair price. If you post the box max size 14x14x7 it should not cost any more than $20 each way.
It’s hard for me to believe that there isn’t a single hatter in Boston.

dkstott

Practically Family
Go to YouTube and watch Kevin From JJ hats channel. "Hats and Guitars" is the channel name.

He'll teach you how to do almost everything you need to know.

Then search and read posts here to get answers to your remaining questions.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Uhhh...

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Several of the custom makers will perform this service. I'd recommend Scott (member @bond), who can be reached through Fine Vintage Fedoras on Etsy.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I just had an exchange with this guy through Etsy. His parting comment after half a dozen messages was as follows:

“You can believe what you want but I’ve been restoring Borsalino hats as well as many other pre 70s hats for over a decade.
Take a hike”

Followed by

”You come to me asking qs and pricing and I gave them to you. Then you wa t to insult me about my knowledge restoring hats .
Screw you and your hat.”

YMMV.

How I “insulted” him (I’m guessing) is by sending a link about the definition of Petersham ribbon.

I just had an exchange with this guy through Etsy. His parting comment after half a dozen messages was as follows:

“You can believe what you want but I’ve been restoring Borsalino hats as well as many other pre 70s hats for over a decade.
Take a hike”

Followed by

”You come to me asking qs and pricing and I gave them to you. Then you wa t to insult me about my knowledge restoring hats .
Screw you and your hat.”

YMMV.

How I “insulted” him (I’m guessing) is by sending a link about the definition of Petersham ribbon.
Well, one of the upsides of running your own business is you get to choose your clients as you get to choose your suppliers. Find a new supplier and move on. Scott does very good restoration work.....I own many of his productions.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Well, one of the upsides of running your own business is you get to choose your clients as you get to choose your suppliers. Find a new supplier and move on. Scott does very good restoration work.....I own many of his productions.
I’ve sent multiple hats to Scott as well—always great work.

David

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Well, one of the upsides of running your own business is you get to choose your clients …..
You’re right, of course.

Seems an odd approach to me, though. I have trod this earth for many decades now. I have endured umpteen hours of business training throughout my working life. Never was I instructed that telling potential customers to ‘take a hike’ was a key to building a successful, sustainable business. Live and learn, I guess. . Perhaps Dale Carnegie Co will revise their courses for the internet age to include “How to be obnoxious and alienate people”. Do you think that will fly? Will there be a demand for it from online retailers?

BTW - it’s all tongue in cheek, just in case that isn’t clear.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Optimo announced in their newsletter that they are offering a "Historical Preservation Service," to "sanitize, service, and restore your fine vintage, heirloom, or collectable non-Optimo hats. If your father's or grandfather's priceless fedora, a 1930's Borsalino, or early 1900's Stetson is something you want to get under, this is the service for you. Or simply restore a precious collector hat to museum grade. This service is priced from $300."

You’re right, of course.

Seems an odd approach to me, though. I have trod this earth for many decades now. I have endured umpteen hours of business training throughout my working life. Never was I instructed that telling potential customers to ‘take a hike’ was a key to building a successful, sustainable business. Live and learn, I guess. . Perhaps Dale Carnegie Co will revise their courses for the internet age to include “How to be obnoxious and alienate people”. Do you think that will fly? Will there be a demand for it from online retailers?

BTW - it’s all tongue in cheek, just in case that isn’t clear.
Scott has been in business for quite a while....perhaps he has reached the point where he decided he has a large enough clientele and he can be picky. Who knows....bad day perhaps....but his business - his terms. He does have a lengthy list of satisfied customers so while he appears to not appeal to all he does appeal to many.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ