Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat comeback

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
the Stetson Stratoliner of the year 2025 made from recycled polyethylene terephthalate?

[channeling the Fedora Lounge circa 2075...] Man, they don't make 'em like that any more. I'd give any thing for a vintage 2025 Stetson made from recycled polyethylene terephthalate. These polypropylene synths today just don't measure up.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Head coverings have been around for millenia. Hats as we tend to know and love them here, that brief, shining era of wide-brimmed fur felt hats of the late 19th and first half of the 20th centuries, well, that dog's probably had it's day. Life is too fractured, the world has moved on more than likely.

People will always wear hats, but I don't think we'll see millions wearing the styles we enjoy again. If it ever managed to become really popular again, the lawsuits against using fur would become problematic. Would you still salivate over the Stetson Stratoliner of the year 2025 made from recycled polyethylene terephthalate?

OHHHHH "recycled polyethylene terephthalate" ! Sounds yummy ! Can I get that in a Recycled Fawn color I'll buy 3 :)

Onward thru the ICE :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
[channeling the Fedora Lounge circa 2075...] Man, they don't make 'em like that any more. I'd give any thing for a vintage 2025 Stetson made from recycled polyethylene terephthalate. These polypropylene synths today just don't measure up.

Who knows, maybe they will eventually make a synthetic that is good. Either that or they will start using the pelts of all those nutria they kill.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I don't mean to sound arrogant, but styles keep popping up on runways after I have been wearing them for a while.

Honestly, this guy could be dressing up as me, green hat and flamboyant scarf included.
Z-P1-HATS-B-articleLarge.jpg

This happened a couple years back with vests (waistcoats). It creeps me out a little bit, even though I highly doubt I am at all connected to the styles in reality.

I wouldn't want to be the one they're copying, not with that green hat...(And aren't the lapels on that suit a tad too high? No tie, of course...)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't want to be the one they're copying, not with that green hat...(And aren't the lapels on that suit a tad too high? No tie, of course...)

I much prefer my green hat. similar proportions though. I rather like the suit, although it is not my favorite. very strange lapels.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Now the New York Times gets into the "hats are coming back" game…

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
The real blame probably belongs to automobiles, though. Hats were knocked off when you entered a car and inevitably got squashed beneath a passenger’s wayward behind or went into orbit when you lowered the top to a convertible.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/03/fashion/03HATS.html?_r=1&ref=fashion

I would say cars where a big part of the down fall of the fedora. I alway watch getting in the car with a fedora on. With a ball cap I never hit my hat on the car roof. Really hat wearing is still around it just shifted to the ball cap and the snap easy adjusted for size cap really hurt the fitted hat business. As shops can just my a case of one style and not worry about all the sizes. Plus all the Mom and Pop hat stores closed due to shopping moving to the malls and Big box stores. Most cities just do not have a good hat store available anymore. Me I love fitted Hats and caps always have always will. I had to search them out before the internet via mail catalog's and networking with vintage shops.

Interesting slide show to accompany the article. Everything from stingies to almost western hats/amish hats. The one dude in the red waistcoat and jacket with the long hair reminds of Johnny Depp as the "Mad Hatter".

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
This just in- - hats are out!

;)
It's about time. I was sick of all the posers! ;) Now I can focus on the real hat wearers - FL members. ;)
PS the winking is a "just joking around no harm no foul all hat wearers unite" undertone...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The thing we hat folks have to do is try to get hats out of the fashion category and made a men's classic - like shoes or outerwear. That will help build a permanent market and a lasting role for them in the industry.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
As with most NYTimes pieces, one is left to wonder, "Is it ignorance, stupidity, and general lack of standards, or some sort of unconscious self-destructive self-parody?" Mere narcissism and arrogance cannot explain it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran