Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat coordinated with suit

Owney_Madden

New in Town
OK i am definitely about to purchase a Federation IV Deluxe. However i am torn between two colors, Heritage Fawn, and moonstone. I want to be able to wear my fedora for Easter coming up with my dark navy blue with pinstriped suit.

Gut instinct tells me the moonstone will work better with my currently only suit, however the fawn is a better hat for casual dress and still suits of tan/brown etc.

Any ideas?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
The greys go with almost everything so that's probably safer - but personally, I think a tan/beige/light brown hat looks super with a navy blue suit. Back in 'the day' it was commonplace to wear brown shoes and hats with navy suits but in recent decades it seems those risks are not taken as much.

G'luck!

Queue

Familiar Face
HarpPlayerGene said:
The greys go with almost everything so that's probably safer - but personally, I think a tan/beige/light brown hat looks super with a navy blue suit. Back in 'the day' it was commonplace to wear brown shoes and hats with navy suits but in recent decades it seems those risks are not taken as much.

Is that really a risk? The hat perhaps (still new to the hat thing) but brown shoes seem like they would go great with a navy suit; in fact, I think most people (with care for fashion/neatness/&c) would reach for brown shoes over black with a dark blue suit. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

portolan

A-List Customer
Moonstone with Blue Pin Striped Suit

See for yourself...

Phil%2C%20Jeanne%20and%20the%20Major.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Queue said:
Is that really a risk? The hat perhaps (still new to the hat thing) but brown shoes seem like they would go great with a navy suit; in fact, I think most people (with care for fashion/neatness/&c) would reach for brown shoes over black with a dark blue suit. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

I'm with Gene and Queue on this one. I now almost always accent my navy suits with brown belt and shoes. I would go with the tan hat, especially if it was a daytime event - tan looks good in the sun. Also, as you're in the south, you may tend to acquire lighter colored suits as time goes on, which the tan will complement.

Not that the moonstone is a bad idea - in your place I would probably order both and have all my bases covered. This obviously costs more, but defers the decision until the day of the event. Welcome to the lounge, and chances are you'll be thinking like this very soon....

Owney_Madden

New in Town
well i just purchased the moonstone in a size 60, how much do you guys think it will shrink? i think my actual size is a 59. i cant wait for it to get here!! :D

Getting the sweatband wet, either sweat or otherwise, will cause the leather to draw as it dries. It is just a natural tendancy of leather. Some Native American tribes used to tie up captives with wet leather straps, staked out in the sun. As the sun dried the leather, it would cut into the flesh as it shrank = slow torture.

thecoolmiester

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
Getting the sweatband wet, either sweat or otherwise, will cause the leather to draw as it dries. It is just a natural tendancy of leather. Some Native American tribes used to tie up captives with wet leather straps, staked out in the sun. As the sun dried the leather, it would cut into the flesh as it shrank = slow torture.

... interesting
lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace