Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat fit question

kavu

New in Town
Hi,

My first time posting on this forum. I just started wearing hats and bought a borsalino panama. It has a wide brim (which I need), and I believe a c-crown (still learning the lingo).

My question is that the bottom of the c-crown rests on top of my head. It is slightly uncomfortable (like someone pressing on the top of my head). It is ameliorated a bit when the hat is set on an angle. I'm just wondering if that is a sign that the hat is either too big (doesn't really feel too big at the band) or just not a good shape for my head. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Should be dead air space between the top of your head & the inside crown of your hat. The sweatband should be what touches your head unless the lid is screwed down tight due to high winds or unruly mount...

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If the top of the crown is touching the top of your head it just sounds like your hat has a low crown, if however, it is causing you some discomfort, then prehaps the crown is too low for you head shape. Often though, when first starting to wear hats & we're not used to things touching our heads, it can feel a little odd when part of a hat presses againt our virgin noggin & takes a while getting used to it.
If the sweatband sits where you want it to & is neither too tight nor too loose then you've probably got the right size & just have to find a hat with a crown height better suited to your head.

Last edited:

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
It seems that the crown is just a bit low. I have the same issue with my Stetson Pawnee.
I like the hat so over time I've just gotten used to the touch.
When I look back at pictures of my high crowned western hats in the 70's and 80's a little touch isn't so bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart