Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat\hair\bald question

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I also get the hat head by the time my hair has grown long enough (and for some reason, I'm always procrastinating my haircuts). Fortunately, years of using brylcreem have left me with pretty nimble hair so after taking the hat off, a couple of quick strokes with a comb take care of the problem. And I always wait until nobody's looking so I can do it- It appears that in today's society, combing one's hair is considered "foppish".

And welcome aboard Harry!

matei

One Too Many
CharlieH. said:
It appears that in today's society, combing one's hair is considered "foppish".

Interesting point you make. Recently when I had to purchase a bog-standard pocket comb, I couldn't find one! I was gobsmacked... What - no simple pocket combs? They used to be everywhere! In our local super chemist chain shops I couldn't find any, but in my third visit to a "Boots" in our area I found one.

Methinks that if any of my erstwhile colleages were to comb their hair they would lose their carefully-arranged "just out of bed" look, or their faux-hawks would list to one side.

S

Samsa

I have a similar problem, but I wear my hair short (buzzed 1/2 inch all around). My problem is that when I wear my newly acquired straw hat, my hair tends to come out of the hat. (It looks in places like that hat is growing hair on its own!) :eek: This happens mostly when I adjust the hat while it's on my head; if I just set it down on my head it tends to be fine.

I'm wondering if I can put a liner in it to prevent this from happening?[huh]

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Hair and the Hat enemies when young, but great friends with age!

I used to have the " 80's metal Hair Band look" but alas my hair is now thin on top and to keep it long it would look like a Gallager do. So in my athletic midlife crisis (kickboxing at 30) I shaved my head for the ring.

What I dicovered is... women care more about their hair than yours. Even if you do not have any. :eusa_doh: To think I wasted years trying to control unruly locks when I was a younger man and it made no difference to the one's you are trying to impress. Go figure lol

So enjoy hat head is is similar to the "bed head" look and I have heard the bed head look and people pay to get the "bed head" look at salons.

So your hat becomes your friend as you get older in many ways

UrbanAristocrat

New in Town
I have thick hair too and if I don't get it cut every 2-3 weeks I end up with "hat forehead" (i.e. the leather sweatband leaves a pinkish impression on my skin). I tried on a larger hat size but it was too loose so now I just consider my hat as my watchdog for staying clean cut!

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
shaved head..

Hi guys, my Pork pie hat is quite a snug fit, and I've noticed it seems quite a struggle to get it on after I've shaved my head....bare skin against leather!.... are there any tips to ease the process? I've thought maybe a light dusting of baby powder, but I don't really think that's a good idea in the long run.... any thoughts?
:cheers1:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd get a hat stretcher (they're difficult to find in the UK but easy enough to find on ebay). Hat Jack is a common enough type.

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
cheers guys, there's no problem when I have a little hair growth, it's just the initial friction of the skin/leather.. but just ordered a Hallett in cedar wood to stretch it out a tad.!

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I always put my hats on front first, then slide the back down.

When my head is shaved (not often), I have to put some hats on more carefully as the 'skin on skin' creates more 'friction.'

When I do my usual cut (buzz with no attachment), everything slides on easily, as they should.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Hi folks,

My name is Harry, and I've been "lurking" here for a while - thanks for all the information and insight you all provide.

I'd like to wear a hat more often, but... hat head. I've got pretty thick curly hair (lucky at this point in my life) and whenever I take off my hat it leaves my hair looking like a loaf of bread. Any suggestions of how to remedy this, or is it just part of the hat-wearing deal?

TIA,

Harry J

Like most of the guys are saying, it just depends on your haircut and what you use to fix up your hair. Another good tip that I don't think I saw would be to keep the hat off while the product is in it until it dries.

I sport a Don Draper-esque look and it still gets the occasional hat hair. Even with a fresh cut and shorter hair, I still get hat hair. Then again, Asian hair is thinner. One thing I've noticed is when my hair is longer (like the front down to my eyes and the sides about halfway down my ear) that I have less hat hair. It doesn't have to be THAT extreme of length, but that's how long I let it grow out before a recent cut.

Perhaps grow it out, comb it back and bam said the lady... Then again, I don't know if it works with everyone.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
I have long hair that's mostly pulled straight, by its own weight. (except for trying to hang in ringlets after I get out of the shower) It's unfazed by the hats.

On the other hand, I have a stiff wool Scala that's reeded sweatband is stitched in a little too high, and leaves a mark across my forehead. But, it doesn't get worn much, since I got a better hat.

I always put my hats on front first, then slide the back down.

When my head is shaved (not often), I have to put some hats on more carefully as the 'skin on skin' creates more 'friction.'

When I do my usual cut (buzz with no attachment), everything slides on easily, as they should.

Accurate assesment.

I have a couple of summer straw hats that fit a little looser just for this reason. I usually just buzz what's left, but when it hits triple digits in the summer I pull out the razor.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
I have curly hair. I find keeping it a reasonable trimmed length works well. In addition to putting the hat on front first, only wear it when outdoors. Remove it in the car and when inside for any length of time. A good hair dressing is a must, and was the norm when "hats were in." I use Groom And Clean. Oh, and carry a comb......;)

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I have curly hair. I find keeping it a reasonable trimmed length works well. In addition to putting the hat on front first, only wear it when outdoors. Remove it in the car and when inside for any length of time. A good hair dressing is a must, and was the norm when "hats were in." I use Groom And Clean. Oh, and carry a comb......;)

I use Brylcreem :D My comb gets a static charge when it's in my coat pocket.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I also have a question about the crown shape. Does the shape of the crown affect the amount of hat head? Like... does a tall, straight crown give off less hat head than a tapered crown does? I only have tapered crown hats and it seems that my hat hair takes shape to the taper of my hats... or so I think it is.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That kind of depends on your volume and texture of hair.

Until my senior year of college, I had one of those Jackson 5 afros. I wore hats, and when I took one off after it had been on a while, the resultant hat hair shape was often pretty hilarious (in hindsight, not at the time).

Hats were fading out from everyday wear long before men's hairstyles went long all over. And by the time the mid '60s got here, hair was where it as at, forget the hat!

If you have to have some long hair, short on the sides, longer on top is the best for a hat wearer. It just looks better with the hat on, for starters, and fixing up the top after hat removal is much easier.

If I had a full head of hair instead of an extremely thin top, it would still be difficult for me as I have curly hair when it's any longer than about a quarter inch. I know I'd want to wear my hair like Depp did in Public Enemies,

6a00d83451cb7469e2017c365bccae970b-400wi

or this guy from Boardwalk Empire

darmody.jpg

but my hair would never cooperate. I'd look more like this:

three_stooges_larry.jpg

except with the hair on top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass