Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Head

CRH

Call Me a Cab

bigbjorn

New in Town
Brylcreem really does work well. A small amount provides good hold without a greasy feeling, and a little bit of re-wetting and combing solves tenacious hat hair for me. The smell does take a bit of getting used to, but all in all, I approve. Cheap, too.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Mulceber said:
Better than pomades and waxes: http://www.amazon.com/Groom-Clean-G...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1261449328&sr=8-2

Groom and Clean gets rubbed into your hair like pomade, but it dries with your hair - however, it doesn't harden. It just provides shape for your hair without being greasy, oily, etc. I've used it for months now and it's REALLY good. -M

There's another thread which extols and compares the virtues of various hair dressing tonics/gels, and Groom & Clean is mentioned. You're right about it not hardening, and shaping the lay of your hair. I use it now!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
bigbjorn said:
Brylcreem really does work well. A small amount provides good hold without a greasy feeling, and a little bit of re-wetting and combing solves tenacious hat hair for me. The smell does take a bit of getting used to, but all in all, I approve. Cheap, too.

A little dab'll do ya. :)

davidwebb_uk

New in Town
I use pommade, new stuff by Mr Ducktail from It's Something Hells in London.

And a comb. Basically recomb my hair everytime I take my hat off...

But the shorter sides is also a good idea, but it's too cold already at the moment without having short sides

job

One Too Many
I probably would not wear a hat if I still had hair. I would get extreme hat head. I've been shaving my head for years and it's great to not worry about hat head. I get to wear a hat for protecting the head I shave and enjoy it instead of worrying that my hair is sticking up weird.

HatsEnough

Banned
I wear no hair goop. Never have. As to "hat head" I only get that when I'm outside all day and working with a hat on where I am sweating a lot and constantly moving the hat around. If I am wearing a hat with a suit or at some event (like a wedding or a conference), I don't get any problems with my hair caused by the hat. I am not bald and likely never will be -- doesn't run in the family.

Nobert

Practically Family
I've been known to do a quick finger run-through or the Stan Laurel head scratch after taking my hat off, depending on the humidity and how recently my hair has been washed. But I don't use product, and am thinning on top.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Take a look on SHORPY at some of the pics taken in the late 1890's early 20th century at some of the folks who have taken off their hats and you will see "hat head" hair abundant. If you have a full, thick head of hair, especially at the sides and wear a hat for any length of time in a day you will get "hat head" ! For those of us "folically challenged" who keep it short all around, no problem :) We are obviously MEANT to wear hats :)

Last edited:

amador

A-List Customer
I have been afflicted with Adrogenic Alopecia for some time. I instructed barbers to cut what remains higher and tighter when I started wearing a Fedora in earnest in order to avoid the Hat Hair phenomena. Most of them could not understand what I ment when I indicated that I wanted a cut to account for my hat, had to explain. Maybe modern barber schools don't require attendance at their Hat Hair practicum. I usually shampoo rinse and brush my wet strands into place, avoiding comb-over. Shave my face and the few remaining active follicles comprising my "Widow's Peak". A small dab of Nivea body lotion on my face and hair and by the time I don my hat I am dry and no hat hair afterwards. I agree with the notion that hair fashions must have been influenced by the fact that a hat was a practical part of ones daily dress.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
I suggest you intentionally style your hair in the shape of hat head. Thus when your friends and colleagues have gotten used to it (assuming you still have any), they won't notice the real thing.

It's a huge problem for me. Therefore, I have developed the quirk of excusing myself to the restroom when I get somewhere, to fix my hair. I use plenty of pomade and a little water in the comb seems to pop it back pretty close, for the most part.

davidraphael

Practically Family
I don't get 'hat head' because I'm proud to be a complete baldy, a slaphead, a cue-ball, an 8-ball, a skinhead, a turtle waxer; I wear a meat-coloured wig and I'm proud of it...

however...

we baldys do suffer from something similar - we can get a red line around our heads which looks a little frankensteinesque, as if we've had the tops of our heads sewn back on...

what to call it?

a bowler border?
Hatpoint Charlie?
a fedora fault?
a hommie haematoma?
a stetson stripe?
a whippet whip-lash?
A fedora frankenstein?
a mayser mark?

Anthony Hart-Jones

New in Town
Another pony tail here. That makes six of us,,,,,,,,,,,
Make that eight, including the gentleman a few posts above me.

need-a-haircut.jpg

(yes, it did need a little bit of a trim)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats