Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat identification

MattJH

One Too Many
tburick said:
I hate cheap hats and am willing to spend the money to buy a good one.

The type of hat you're searching for doesn't really vary as far as quality goes. A Borsalino at $250 or a house brand from Urban Outfitters or Hot Topic for $25 will all be the same, really. I don't see you spending more than $30 total. By its very nature and construction, it is a "cheap" hat, meaning that it is not made, and doesn't need to be made, with expensive materials or workmanship.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MattJH said:
The type of hat you're searching for doesn't really vary as far as quality goes. A Borsalino at $250 or a house brand from Urban Outfitters or Hot Topic for $25 will all be the same, really.
I'm not familiar with UO or HT offerings but I doubt they will be made from fur felt, as will the Borso.

MattJH

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I'm not familiar with UO or HT offerings but I doubt they will be made from fur felt, as will the Borso.

I'm referring to Borsalino's wool felts, though. I'm talking strictly about stingy-brimmed wool felt fedoras like tburick is looking for.

For instance, here is a $185.00 Borsalino Calabria. Here is a no name-brand for $19.95, another for $17.95, and another for $14.99. While I'll leave it up to the consumer, there's no real difference between the four if you ask me. When you're talking about this style of fedora, there aren't many things you can do to it to make a $165.00 price difference worth it. It's a stingy-brimmed wool felt fedora, and that's all it can be, and there's no reason to spend the big bucks on it because you won't be getting anything additional back for your investment.

tburick said "I hate cheap hats and am willing to spend the money to buy a good one." What I'm trying to say is that this would be a relevant concern if he were shopping for a fur felt hat, but he isn't, and so there is no real quality concerns he should have. There should be no more than $30 spent on a hat like that one. It's not because it's inferior in any way to anything else, it's because there's nothing about it that makes it worth more. Wool is wool. Elastic bands are elastic bands. You know? I'm trying to save the good man some cash.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Help me identify this hat?

Does anyone know what type of hat Miss Rogers is wearing in this scene from Top Hat 1935. I couldn't really find a good pic of the hat but if you have seen the film maybe you can help.
tophat.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Women's hats are all but impossible to identify. Many of the men's hat brands made women's hats, but nearly every department store worth its salt also had a milliner who made and customized hats.

Ludwigvan

New in Town

I would love to find out any additional information about this hat. It is a Stetson. Firm brim. I have not seen another one like it. I love it and would like to find another one in black. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Would you please post some photos of the inside of the hat. It may help identify the hat. Photos of the sweatband and liner may help offer some clues. :)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
It's called a Stetson Andes rain hat & you're in luck they come in black ( & navy blue) ......cost around 50 bucks. Plenty online so look around to get the best price. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925