Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
There is a weirdness unfolding within the felt market FEPSA has increased their pricing exponentially in the last few months and I fear more to come. The price disparity between FEPSA & Winchester is now huge. In the western weight beaver felt the FEPSA price is more than double the price of the Winchester. Ukraine beaver lies somewhere in the middle......if you can find any.

Winchester just raised their pricing a whole $20. FEPSA is now $235 for dress weight and a whopping $405 for western weight with Winchester about half that price.

The downside to Winchester is that delivery is a huge problem with many small hatters waiting upwards of one year to receive their orders.

Hat makers with stock and the ability to purchase from Winchester have a huge leg up on those shut out from Winchester as the choice of felt (especially beaver) producers is very limited.

dmeist

New in Town
There is a weirdness unfolding within the felt market FEPSA has increased their pricing exponentially in the last few months and I fear more to come. The price disparity between FEPSA & Winchester is now huge. In the western weight beaver felt the FEPSA price is more than double the price of the Winchester. Ukraine beaver lies somewhere in the middle......if you can find any.

Winchester just raised their pricing a whole $20. FEPSA is now $235 for dress weight and a whopping $405 for western weight with Winchester about half that price.

The downside to Winchester is that delivery is a huge problem with many small hatters waiting upwards of one year to receive their orders.

Hat makers with stock and the ability to purchase from Winchester have a huge leg up on those shut out from Winchester as the choice of felt (especially beaver) producers is very limited.
Noticed the same. PBHS has been steadily increasing the prices (now $495). I'm sure it's because everyone else is.
I've only been doing this for about a year, but the selection on the market has dramatically decreased in the past 9 months. Local hat shop (Batesakes, since 1917) says he is waiting 2-3 months for Winchester orders.

Any of the smaller guys out there want to go in and order together, just let me know.

Noticed the same. PBHS has been steadily increasing the prices (now $495). I'm sure it's because everyone else is.
I've only been doing this for about a year, but the selection on the market has dramatically decreased in the past 9 months. Local hat shop (Batesakes, since 1917) says he is waiting 2-3 months for Winchester orders.

Any of the smaller guys out there want to go in and order together, just let me know.
The problem is that not everyone's pricing is increasing. The gap between PBHS and Winchester is huge and growing. Hatters down the west coast have not raised their prices in a few years. Gannon just upped his a whole $25. Hatters I talk to are waiting upwards of a year to receive beaver felts from Winchester. Do you have access to Winchester felts? Of the other suppliers no one that I am aware of is offering quantity discounts. PBHS offers 5% is you place an order above $50,000 or so Mill Whse offers discounts for orders above 72 units but don't know how much but then they don't have beaver felts in stock and when they do the colour range is very limited.

I have two of Batsakes' creations. Did not buy new but bought on the resale market.

K.U.Hack

New in Town
Messing around on a dreary Sunday.
PXL_20230430_165452321.jpg
PXL_20230430_165903083.jpg
PXL_20230430_165945471.jpg
PXL_20230430_170659658.jpg
PXL_20230430_181618757.jpg
PXL_20230430_181934507.jpg
PXL_20230430_182241111.jpg
PXL_20230430_182907510~2.jpg
PXL_20230430_182223381.jpg

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
Are these prices for one beaver fur felt hat blank?
I have never purchased a beaver fur felt hat body blank and if these prices are for one hat body blank, I will stick with the rabbit fur felts.

https://www.hatblocks.co.uk/product/mens-fur-felt-hat-bodies-86mm/
Has anyone used these? Looking for a UK supplier due to the tax being levied on EU goods. How do they compare to HNC? Like the colours btw.
I have purchased a few of these. I think they are expensive for the quality. My guess is they are Tonak felts and run about 140grams. As a comparison I think the Ukraine rabbit felts at 160grams offer better quality at a slightly cheaper price. Having said that I think they are a decent felt...not wonderful but acceptable. They are on par with the quality Agnoulita sells but the one's I purchased from the UK are slightly larger felts.

Last edited:

K.U.Hack

New in Town
Are these prices for one beaver fur felt hat blank?
I have never purchased a beaver fur felt hat body blank and if these prices are for one hat body blank, I will stick with the rabbit fur felts.
I'm in the same boat. It seems that with everything else going on, 3x and 4x would be making a comeback.

I'm in the same boat. It seems that with everything else going on, 3x and 4x would be making a comeback.
@purebeaver sells a blended western weight...it is called a 4X but my understanding is it contains 4% beaver. I really like the Ukraine beaver blend but supply is still an issue and still expensive.

BigHat

New in Town
I have purchased a few of these. I think they are expensive for the quality. My guess is they are Tonak felts and run about 140grams. As a comparison I think the Ukraine rabbit felts at 160grams offer better quality at a slightly cheaper price. Having said that I think they are a decent felt...not wonderful but acceptable. They are on par with the quality Agnoulita sells but the one's I purchased from the UK are slightly larger felts.
Thanks for the reply. Just starting out on my hat making journey so trying gather as much info as I can on techniques and materials.

Thanks for the reply. Just starting out on my hat making journey so trying gather as much info as I can on techniques and materials.
I use the Guy Morse Brown red silicone blocking springs. Much easier to use and more effective than the standard blocking cords. They work well and they last. Not sure if there is a UK or Euro distributor for the Ukraine felts. I really like them Great quality and great consistency.

https://www.parkinfabrics.co.uk/col...linery/products/velour-capelines-double-sided
These look reasonably priced. Good selection of colours and uk based.
These are Tonak rabbit felts. Be cautious as they are only 120gram and most likely more suitable to the millinery market unless you are willing to add the stiffener. I have ordered the 120gram Tonak from Agnoulita and they are very floppy. Also, check the size of the felt as Tonak can run small so if you want to make a decent brimmed hat for a larger head they might not get you there.

Last edited:

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
Crazy, isn’t it? $405 for one hat body.
Crazy? There must be a better word to describe the cost for one felt hat body blank. What is the price for a hat made of 4X beaver felt? I don't think to many beaver hats are going to be sold with the price of a single beaver felt hat body being as high as it is. Just starting out making hats right now is a real battle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points