Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TWKundrat

Familiar Face
That would come in handy to use when pouncing the crown, I would have to have it on slow speed using 800 or 1000 grit. What size is the center pin? Someone that makes a lot of hats could use that turntable.
The pin is 7/8". I found that several old blocks I have run across have a 7/8" hole. It can be used with 1" hole blocks also.

TWKundrat

Familiar Face
I have a real mixture of vintage and new blocks and the hole size varies a great deal. Some are a hair under 3/4".
Yeah, I have seen a wide variation of hole sizes as well on old blocks. The 7/8" pin will work for my needs but it could be easily made a smaller diameter with sleeves that slide over the pin to bump it up to the larger sizes.

Yeah, I have seen a wide variation of hole sizes as well on old blocks. The 7/8" pin will work for my needs but it could be easily made a smaller diameter with sleeves that slide over the pin to bump it up to the larger sizes.
I use reducers on my home made block stands to change the diametre of the pipe.

K.U.Hack

New in Town
Screenshot_20230523-180535.png

Just in the final stages of completing my most difficult hat build.

The female client has the most difficult head shape I have encountered. Broad at the back and tapering greatly to the front. She called it weird but I said we needed to give it a less insulting descriptor. So we settled on "teardrop shaped".

I first blocked it on a long oval block but when she came in for the fitting I did not get it right as the gaps at the temples were still very large. I attempted to correct it with the sweat band in place but that did not work well enough. So I tore the hat back down to felt and started again.

This time I took a cheap hat stretcher and sanded down the front curves to match her much narrower front footprint but slightly stretching the back curves at their regular oval width. This did not affect the long oval profile of the crown. I used a blocking cord to cinch in the felt at the brim break to force it to conform to the new footprint.

She came to the shop last night for another fitting and this time.....big sigh of relief.......it fit perfectly.

My initial mistake was not taking into account that I was using a western weight, stiff beaver blend felt that had zero forgiveness.

I have much more respect for hatters working with stiff western weight as they have to nail the initial fit as the felt will not conform like a softer 95gr dress weight. So today we sew the trimmings and off it goes to the Calgary Stampede. The client is thrilled as for the first time in her life she has a hat that actually fits her head!

Last edited:

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
Just in the final stages of completing my most difficult hat build.

The female client has the most difficult head shape I have encountered. Broad at the back and tapering greatly to the front. She called it weird but I said we needed to give it a less insulting descriptor. So we settled on "teardrop shaped".

I first blocked it on a long oval block but when she came in for the fitting I did not get it right as the gaps at the temples were still very large. I attempted to correct it with the sweat band in place but that did not work well enough. So I tore the hat back down to felt and started again.

This time I took a cheap hat stretcher and sanded down the front curves to match her much narrower front footprint but slightly stretching the back curves at their regular oval width. This did not affect the long oval profile of the crown. I used a blocking cord to cinch in the felt at the brim break to force it to conform to the new footprint.

She came to the shop last night for another fitting and this time.....big sigh of relief.......it fit perfectly.

My initial mistake was not taking into account that I was using a western weight, stiff beaver blend felt that had zero forgiveness.

I have much more respect for hatters working with stiff western weight as they have to nail the initial fit as the felt will not conform like a softer 95gr dress weight. So today we sew the trimmings and off it goes to the Calgary Stampede. The client is thrilled as for the first time in her life she has a hat that actually fits her head!
Hang onto that hat stretcher, you may want to put her initials on it, she will be back for another hat for sure. You're most likely the only person that would go the distance to make a hat that actually fit her. Outstanding work, proves that you will go the distance to make your customers happy.

Hang onto that hat stretcher, you may want to put her initials on it, she will be back for another hat for sure. You're most likely the only person that would go the distance to make a hat that actually fit her. Outstanding work, proves that you will go the distance to make your customers happy.
I think I will cut her a band block to match her footprint because, yes, I think she will be back. She is a great client. Her husband has just ordered his 3rd hat and her sister has one as well. But I was beginning to fear I had bitten off more than my capabilities. I may not be talented by I am dogged!!

Last edited:

Darrell2688

One of the Regulars
I think I will cut her a band block to match her profile because, yes, I think she will be back. She is a great client. Her husband has just ordered his 3rd hat and her sister has one as well. But I was beginning to fear I had bitten off more than my capabilities. I may not be talented by I am dogged!!
I happen to think that you are very talented, you just don't give yourself enough credit, the doggedness is your nature and that is the driving force behind your want and need to learn hat making. You have to have that kind of drive to learn hat making on your own and you stick with a problem until the problem has been resolved, you're going to make a band block for her, all I can say is Outstanding work, bravo, Good Show.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I have a specific question, so I thought I would post it here. After reviewing lots of pages on TFL, it looks like Stetson bowlers very often used block 522 (and 542). Would any of you have the technical details on block 522 or where to look to find them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto