Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
Thank you. Yes,, I did dig through that thread but it is mostly a list of block numbers by brand and model, not a detailed description of the block profiles.
I have been looking at hats and hat blocks for the past half hour trying to figure out the difference between the hat block style 52 and looking at the rusults of a hat blocked on a #52 block and from what I Have noticed, it looks like they may have taken a #52 and sanded down the top edges of the crown into a little more of a round shape. If you take a #52 and sand down the top edges into more of a round shape that would create a nice looking bowler hat. That is just my suggestion after checking out the hats and comparing to a #52 block. I don't know if this helps any, try some side by side comparrisons between the hats and a #52 block.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that makes sense, I'm just wondering "how much" sanding it would take. The numbering suggests a possible relationship (52 and 522), but without additional evidence, I'm not ready to make that conclusion.

I have an old 52 block for comparison. Does anyone have a 522, 523, or 542 or 592 block for a few measurements?

I have been looking at hats and hat blocks for the past half hour trying to figure out the difference between the hat block style 52 and looking at the rusults of a hat blocked on a #52 block and from what I Have noticed, it looks like they may have taken a #52 and sanded down the top edges of the crown into a little more of a round shape. If you take a #52 and sand down the top edges into more of a round shape that would create a nice looking bowler hat. That is just my suggestion after checking out the hats and comparing to a #52 block. I don't know if this helps any, try some side by side comparrisons between the hats and a #52 block.

Attachments

• 20230610_143226.jpg
    20230610_143226.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 20230610_143253.jpg
    20230610_143253.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but it is something that I have in my collection of hat making information, let me know if this is what you are looking for. I think that what you are wanting is a combination of the #51 and #52 blocks, basically a #51 with straight sides, no taper.

Crown contours.jpg

Last edited:
I am in discussion with a local ladies wear boutique that wants to add a line of 'ready to wear' hats. When I started this hatting journey I purchased some Tonak rabbit felts from Agnoulita that were reasonably priced. I thought of him and went online yesterday to check his pricing. Holy Crap! His rabbit felt prices have more than doubled in less than 3 years. They were decent felts, not great but decent if a little on the small side. Not sure what the hell happened. I will have to check other Tonak suppliers to see if their pricing has shot up as well.

TWKundrat

Familiar Face
I am in discussion with a local ladies wear boutique that wants to add a line of 'ready to wear' hats. When I started this hatting journey I purchased some Tonak rabbit felts from Agnoulita that were reasonably priced. I thought of him and went online yesterday to check his pricing. Holy Crap! His rabbit felt prices have more than doubled in less than 3 years. They were decent felts, not great but decent if a little on the small side. Not sure what the hell happened. I will have to check other Tonak suppliers to see if their pricing has shot up as well.
I noticed that also. Who are some other Tonak suppliers that you know of? I wouldn't be surprised if all of the other suppliers have gone up that much as well but it's worth checking

I noticed that also. Who are some other Tonak suppliers that you know of? I wouldn't be surprised if all of the other suppliers have gone up that much as well but it's worth checking
I checked Manhatco in NY City but their webpage is being worked on and the site is down. I have never bought from them as their supply was spotty and the items kept changing. There are others I am sure. Jay Gherson is the master distributor for the US but they only sell to smaller wholesalers like Manhatco etc.

I like the Tonak felts but the one's Agnoulita sold were very small and hard to get tall crowns and decent brim widths. I was looking for a cheaper fur felt to develop a line of 'ready to wear' ladies hats to sell at a lower price but not at these new prices!!!

TWKundrat

Familiar Face
Came across tis the other day. Couldn't find any reference to it searching the site, so I'll post a link.

"A Treatise on Hat-Making and Felting Including a Full Exposition of the Singular Properties of Fur, Wool and Hair."

John Thomson

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47090
Very cool stuff. Has anyone ever run across any good drawings of the blowing machines that separate the coarse hair and dirt from the fine fur? I understand the basic concept but I'm just curious to see specifics on how they work.

chivaceae

New in Town
He is brand new. He offers 3D printed blocks as well as selling just the 3D patterns. His prices are good.
Robert, as you are a hatmaker, I am curious if the listed size of a hat block includes the little extra diameter/circumference to account for the sweatband, effectively yielding a final fitted sized as listed on the block, or if one needs to use a slightly larger block (1-2 sizes larger) than the desired final size in a finished hat (with attached sweatband). I suspect the latter, I am correct?
Thank you,
Raul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21