Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat manufacturing equipment sales

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
I am interested in making small batches of boaters myself with my own design as it breaks my heart as some manufacturers don't get the dimensions of a boater correctly. I have watched plenty of manufacturing videos by Olney and Crofut-Knapp. I get an idea now.

Where could I buy the straw stitching machine, steamer, presser and the straw itself? Since I am a student now, I cannot but maybe in a couple of years time, I may apply a job at Olney at the boater manufacturing department, as they produce 90% of the British school uniform boaters.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
I can't answer your question, but I have one of my own. Where did you see the Crofut & Knapp videos? I have been searching for those for years.

Brad
~ The Hatted Professor

Sorry for the misleading. Actually it's a Knox company video I think... not sure. It could be C&K

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Sorry for the misleading. Actually it's a Knox company video I think... not sure. It could be C&K
Regardless whether it is a Knox or Crofut & Knapp video is it in a format that can be shared? I think people on this forum would love to see the video's too. I am hoping that it is something that can be streamed or downloaded. What format is the video?

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I doubt that you could buy these machines anymore. the only place that sells machinery today is in Germany . They are called Bonner. They should have a website.

You should look at the Straw Hat section of this thread on the Deutsches Hutmuseum Kulturfabrik, Lindenberg, Germany. I visited the museum this past January. Lindenberg was the Straw Hat center of Germany.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/deutsches-hutmuseum-kulturfabrik-lindenberg-germany.85293/

Mayser-Milz & Cie. "Exotenstumpen und Strohgeflechte Für Herren Sommerhüte / Exotic Straw Hoods and Straw Braids for Men's Summer Hats"

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...aids-for-mens-summer-hats.85313/#post-2054445

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I do not know much about the Boater straw hats but Milans are also a straw hat which uses a wheat plait braid that is sewn together similar to the Boater. So one might be able to use the same sewing machine for both types of hats.

Some hatters on this lounge are using a Singer 25/56 for doing their Milan work.

Check out the following videos which is about sewing Milans but you get the idea.

I doubt that you could buy these machines anymore. the only place that sells machinery today is in Germany . They are called Bonner. They should have a website.

Yes Bahner Hat Machines might have some. Actually I see the German machines come up for auction / sale occasionally. The second link above shows Grossmann Anita B II which stitches Edge to Edge. Wilcox & Gibbs is the English manufacturer of such machines (not sure if they had an Edge to Edge machine). There is a lot of information online. Also many different machines for sale.

Last edited:
I do not know much about the Boater straw hats but Milans are also a straw hat which uses a wheat plait braid that is sewn together similar to the Boater. So one might be able to use the same sewing machine for both types of hats.

Some hatters on this lounge are using a Singer 25/56 for doing their Milan work.

Check out the following videos which is about sewing Milans but you get the idea.

It all depends on what type you are going to make. Some were pressed and some were not. In the second link (Mayser-Milz & Cie. "Exotenstumpen und Strohgeflechte Für Herren Sommerhüte / Exotic Straw Hoods and Straw Braids for Men's Summer Hats") the display shows what braid types required Edge to Edge, Over Stitch, and Under Stitch. There is a photo of a Grossmann Anita B II which stitches Edge to Edge.

Side Note: A high end Vintage / Antique Boater can be really amazing especially the ones that were not pressed. I haven't been impressed with the modern ones that I have of seen but I am focused on vintage / antique.

Last edited:
Last edited:

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
@Bertie.Wooster check out City Sewing in New York (www.citysewing.com). Specifically their millinery sewing machines http://www.citysewing.com/braid-sewing-machines/ They have a couple of Wilcox & Gibbs for $795 that is for the head only, so no table or motor, and shipping costs are not included. They sell a table for $395 but it made no mention of a motor, a motor will run anywhere from $200 - $500.

Keep in mind that these machines are hard to find so if you are planning for the future you will likely have to find another source but looks like these folks might be able to help get you pointed to a seller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ