Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Prices

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hi all,

I'm new here, and pretty new to hunting for hats. I've been reading the posts here, and I've seen many talking about getting Stetsons and other name hat brands for $50 and under. Forgive me for being rude, but where can I find these prices? I'm nowhere near a good hat store (or even a crappy one), and eBay is the only place on line that I've found a stetson under $90.

:cry:

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Stetson Outlet

Well, at the risk of being a non-conformist, why dont you Google Stetson St Joseph Mo. It will give you the number of the Stetson Outlet where I go all too often. You will need to know the type (style) of hat you are looking for and your size. For ABOUT $45.00 plus 7.00 shipping you can buy a Factory Second for wearing everyday. Alright, there not vintage, but they are cheap!!! I have a closet full, and what can I say!! From a distance you cant tell them apart.

MattC

A-List Customer
Vintage

Well, you are certainly sure to hear this from plenty of folks, but the truth is, you can get a much better hat for the same amount of money on ebay. Fact is, even hats made just 20 or 25 years ago were, generally speaking, much better than what is being made today. If you follow a few simple ebay rules: 1) wait until you find a hat that meets your criteria; 2) only bid on a hat in your size; 3) Ask if the hat has tears, rips, stains or bites, and don't bid if it does--you can usually find much better hats than you will ever get new. The only really good new hats are a few high end Borsalinos, and the custom hats made by Art Fawcett and Optimo hats.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I'm going to agree about doing your hat shopping on eBay or at your local vintage clothing store if you are looking to spend less than $100 on a hat. In that price range, you will get a factory-made hat in a low-quality felt, a cheap sweatband and ribbon that's nothing special.

You will need to be vigilant and choosy in what you bid on, but you can get real bargains, like the Homburg you see me wearing in my avatar. It's a top-quality vintage (from the late 50's/early 60's) hat in brand new condition, still in the original box, and I paid about 35 bucks for it. I think to get a hat of similar quality new today, you'd need to go custom and spend over $200.

You can get some really great hats on that auction site for a very reasonable price. Believe me I know. :p ;)
Check out this one for $15 whole dollars:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8332454415&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
and this one for a whole 99 cents that I am still kicking myself for not bidding on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8216919910&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
Here is even a Stetson that is way small:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8328184057&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
There are opportunities galore there. Since you have the manufaturer nailed down, now all you have to figure out is the size, style and color you want. I will keep an eye out if you care to elaborate and it isn't my size. :p

Regards to all,

J

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Guess you can see by now that there are a number of opinions of how to buy a cheap hat. In my humble opinion, as a hat wearer, the best choice is always a so called vintage, factory made hat vs a new factory made hat. If your looking to specifically buy a new Stetson(I assumed), well, I buy from the outlet in person. The majority of their hats are order cacellations. Some have problems. Just went there this past Sat and purchased a Stetson Gaylord. Very nice hat (modern factory made in USA) and I paid 45.00 bucks. I also picked up a Stetson Gable for 20.00. Are they the best hats I own, no. Will they work? You bet. If you want a nice hat on ebay, educate yourself with the help of this forum as to what constitutes a good hat. Be sure of quality, any problems, stains,moths holes, etc., know your size and take a chance. You can always put it back up for auction. Be warned about sizing tho. Smaller hats are cheap, popular sizes more expensive, large sizes equally large prices. What the heck, have fun!! You need several hats anyway. OR, you could wait and come to my estate sale and buy vintage hats, at least I hope their vintage by that time. I think the time period is at least 5 years old to be vintage!!!!!

pointystuff

New in Town
Stetson hat outlet

Prairie Shade said:
Guess you can see by now that there are a number of opinions of how to buy a cheap hat. In my humble opinion, as a hat wearer, the best choice is always a so called vintage, factory made hat vs a new factory made hat. If your looking to specifically buy a new Stetson(I assumed), well, I buy from the outlet in person. The majority of their hats are order cacellations. Some have problems. Just went there this past Sat and purchased a Stetson Gaylord. Very nice hat (modern factory made in USA) and I paid 45.00 bucks. I also picked up a Stetson Gable for 20.00. Are they the best hats I own, no. Will they work? You bet. If you want a nice hat on ebay, educate yourself with the help of this forum as to what constitutes a good hat. Be sure of quality, any problems, stains,moths holes, etc., know your size and take a chance. You can always put it back up for auction. Be warned about sizing tho. Smaller hats are cheap, popular sizes more expensive, large sizes equally large prices. What the heck, have fun!! You need several hats anyway. OR, you could wait and come to my estate sale and buy vintage hats, at least I hope their vintage by that time. I think the time period is at least 5 years old to be vintage!!!!!

Hi.
Have you ever heard of a Stetson hat called a "Colony?"
Thanks,
Brad

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Nope. But I hadnt heard of a Gaylord until Sharpe posted it here last week. That doesnt mean its not available. I am always surpirsed at the number of styles they (Stetson) have.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
You happen to be right about quality on todays hats . What you can find on Ebay is made much better than todays hats . If you like Stetsons , look for pre 1970 hats . They were mostly made in Philadelphia not St Joseph , MO .
There is a tremendous difference . I have some Stetsons from the 1930's that are like butter . The same goes for Dobbs and Knox hats . The older the better .

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the info, guys. I will try to put is all to good use. I've been keeping an eye out on ebay, and I bumped into a nice Indy-style from Stetson. The description says it "vintage" but the picture shows a card identifying the style as LU001 ARK, which makes me think is a newer hat. It appears to have a snap brim and the sweatband has "Royal Stetson" in gold letters. Any thoughts on this one?

Not-Bogart13 said:
Thanks for all the info, guys. I will try to put is all to good use. I've been keeping an eye out on ebay, and I bumped into a nice Indy-style from Stetson. The description says it "vintage" but the picture shows a card identifying the style as LU001 ARK, which makes me think is a newer hat. It appears to have a snap brim and the sweatband has "Royal Stetson" in gold letters. Any thoughts on this one?

It was probably one of the Stetsons produced under license from Lucas Films. ARK is like the Raiders of the Lost Ark variety. It might be vintage to some but the 1980s don't cut it for vintage to me. Stetson later lost the deal with Lucas and went on to produce the Temple as a replacement or some such thing.
I am not all that certain about modern Stetson lexicon but I am sure there are others here who can fill ino the rest. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
I think its probably a later version before they lost their license for right to make Indiana Jones Fedoras. Had one, OK, but not the best hat. I dont believe it fits my definition of "vintage". Just my opinion, I could and have been wrong. I saw it and it looked familiar, I passed. You could do much better with another older true "vintage" hat I believe. I'm somewhat familiar with what they offer as far a new hats and the Temple would be very close.

badhatter

New in Town
Where to buy a hat!

All these posts give great tips! Remember....your not going to just buy one...take me, for example I have over 15 hats and I am always buying more. Try to pick up a hat box too. I love them for storing my beauties!

Oh yeah....EBay all the way...Vintage for sure! Much better quality and MUCH better price. Be careful...ask lots of questions on condition inside and out, color (Camera's lie sometimes) Ask dimensions, condition of sweatband, etc.
There are some hats that...(my opinion only) you should look for a Mallory 20, Knox 20, Stetson Royal are just a couple. There are a lot more. Read some of the past posts or do a search here on the hat you might be interested in. You can get some really nice hats for under $30 and that includes shipping. My $.02.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
badhatter said:
There are some hats that...(my opinion only) you should look for a Mallory 20, Knox 20, Stetson Royal are just a couple. There are a lot more.

If memory serves, I saw a Mallory not long ago, but not my size. I really liked that one. I was so broken hearted! :cry:

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13: I, too, like your avatar -- believe it or not R2D2 was my favorite Star Wars character....

Some ideas on bidding on Ebay:

Bid the maximum amount you are willing to spend on a hat. If it goes over, it goes over.

Bid an odd amount, i.e., $45.75 rather than $45 (or even $45.76). Most people, when they snipe, will bid even dollars. You could win it by only a few cents.

I have found two Borsalinos and a soft old Knox hat in a vintage shop here in San Diego. Check vintage shops, antique shops, and, yes, even the thrift shops sometimes get in the older hats. Just keep searching.

Good luck! And, if you score a good one, we want to see photos....

karol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Karol, R2 rocks! I think the fedora is the only way he could be improved upon! :)

If I get a good one, I'll find a way to get pics. Strangely, the little box at the bottom of the page says I can NOT send attachments. Anybody know what that means.

Also, I've done some searching for vintage hats, and I bumped into a term I'm not sure about... "deadstock". I've seen it refer to felt and straw hats. Anybody got a clue?

"Deadstock" or "dead stock" usually refers to merchandise that has never left the store or the manufacturer. In other words, it's never ended up being sold to customers. Instead, it has languished in a stockroom or warehouse for months/years/decades until now. Most often, it still has its original paper tags and packaging.

You'd be surprised how much '30s-'40s deadstock used to be around, piled up in buildings all over the country. Since the early '80s, however, the bulk of it has been bought up by vintage wholesalers from everywhere, including Japan. Still, you occasionally run into small-town haberdashers and general stores (usually closed) whose owners have held on to their deadstock since the dark ages.

-- Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo