Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Quotes

irb

Familiar Face
I know, we've all seen it a hundred times or more, but I'm particularly fond of the line in Maltese Falcon (Bogart) when... Polehouse I believe? tells them all to "get your hats. Come on, get your hats." I just like the assumption that of course, even going down to the station you'd wear your hat.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy Cagney in GREAT GUY (1936)

"....my best friend gets hit by a streetcar...there's a Civil war in Spain...we have an earthquake in Japan.... and now you wear that hat? "

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"if I begin to die, please take this off my head. This is not how I wish to be remembered" - Hobson to Arthur while wearing a HUGE cowboy hat in the movie "Arthur".

Haversack

One Too Many
From George Kaufman's one act play, If Men Played Cards as Women Do as excerpted in the 1942 Paramount studio satire/patriotic movie, Star Spangled Rhythm:

John: "Oh say! That's a new hat, isn't it?"

Bob: "Why, no---don't you remember? It's the one I got at Knox's in the Spring. Then when they began wearing the bands higher, I said to myself, why should I buy a new hat when I can have a little man in and get him to put on another band for me, just as easily as not? Do you like it?"

John: "Very attractive. I wonder how it would look on me?" (Takes it; starts to try it on, then smooth his hair before he finally puts it on. He looks at himself in the mirror; turns.) "What do you think?"

Bob: "Lovely! Makes your face look thinner."

In the movie, these roles are played by the Paramount actors they commonly used for 'tough-guy gangster' pictures.

Haversack.

Feraud

Bartender
This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.
-Chief Wiggum

funneman

Practically Family
Miller's Crossing

Verna: What're you chewin' over?
Tom Reagan: Dream I had once. I was walkin' in the woods, I don't know why. Wind came up and blew me hat off.
Verna: And you chased it, right? You ran and ran, finally caught up to it and you picked it up. But it wasn't a hat anymore and it changed into something else, something wonderful.
Tom Reagan: Nah, it stayed a hat and no, I didn't chase it. Nothing more foolish than a man chasin' his hat

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
From "El Dorado"(1966) Western directed by Howard Hawks...

"Just who in the hell are you? We met last night and again this morning, now, is this your hat?

-No, it's not mine but it'll do."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran