Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat(s?) : exclusivity vs diversity

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
I think there is a difference in wanting to feature a style and just appreciating your collection. For many Lounge members, a hat is a functional or fashionable choice. There are several of us, however, that have a lot of hats - more than needed for any sort of function or fashion - who wear them because they like the hats and appreciate the history. At least, for me. For my part, I enjoy rotating through my hats and pulling things out not worn in a while. I do have several that are more "go-tos" that get worn more often. But the others need love, too.

Not to mention, to be honest, I like to show off what I have to the FL members. So I wear and take pictures of them to share with my friends who also have my same interests.
^ Yes!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I just run thru my collection. I wear one fedora a week and the. Switch it out for another one. I also wear 20’s newsboy cap and hear them during the day running g to the grocery store or other tasks. I switch them out every time I go out.
Everyone knows I have a large hat collection and I want to enjoy each one.
Love to get each hat hat for its turn on my head. [emoji3]

I just run thru my collection. I wear one fedora a week and the. Switch it out for another one. I also wear 20’s newsboy cap and hear them during the day running g to the grocery store or other tasks. I switch them out every time I go out.
Everyone knows I have a large hat collection and I want to enjoy each one.
Love to get each hat hat for its turn on my head. [emoji3]

I am afflicted with the 'collectors gene' and as such have a few collections other than hats. Bicycles is another. One of my self imposed guidelines in any of my collections is they must be used. In bike parlance there is a thing named "garage queen"....a bike that is not ridden but hangs in the garage as a show piece. I do not allow that and as such have pared the collection down from 30 bikes to more manageable 12. I have 50+ hats and another 15 caps and I am at that decision point where in the hat collection I have numerous 'garage queen' equivalents. Time to downsize I think but I have yet to summon the courage.

Interesting thread. I've come to the conclusion that the "perfect" hat doesn't exist, which is probably why I, like many of us have a large collection. And it is nice to be able to mix things up. Having put the proportions of all my hats in a spreadsheet though, averaging them out should produce your ideal hat. The spreadsheet shows a hat with a 6cm brim and a crown at 10,5cm at the pinch in a size a tad over 56. Sounds right to me.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread. I've come to the conclusion that the "perfect" hat doesn't exist, which is probably why I, like many of us have a large collection. And it is nice to be able to mix things up. Having put the proportions of all my hats in a spreadsheet though, averaging them out should produce your ideal hat. The spreadsheet shows a hat with a 6cm brim and a crown at 10,5cm at the pinch in a size a tad over 56. Sounds right to me.

Hat data analysis !! Love it!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nothing beats standing in front of a mirror with the new hat. It's been my experience that I know if the hat works for me in the first nanosecond. One of the things I learned from my first experience with a mirror was that, because I have wide-spaced eyes and a large northern European head, any crown taper at all looks terrible on me: I once described my experiment with a Borsalino as seeing Zippy the Pinhead looking back at me.

Nothing beats standing in front of a mirror with the new hat. It's been my experience that I know if the hat works for me in the first nanosecond. One of the things I learned from my first experience with a mirror was that, because I have wide-spaced eyes and a large northern European head, any crown taper at all looks terrible on me: I once described my experiment with a Borsalino as seeing Zippy the Pinhead looking back at me.
My scary moment was 50 years ago, dressing up for Hallowe'en as David Bowie. As I put makeup on I realized that it was my sister staring back at me from the mirror. My career as a drag queen ended immediately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ