Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat shops I visited in Italy...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
These are the hat shops I had the opportunity to visit while traveling through Italy. You will see several Borsalino shops as every city has at least two of them. I photographed the most interesting ones. There are others that I was only allowed to take pictures of the outside (as a rule, I always have the courtesy of asking if it's OK to take a picture)
I'll go city by city in the order they were visited.

Milan: Cappelleria Mutinelli. Love them. Love signore Maurizio. He sold me a hat two years ago and we ended up having espresso and talking hats. Now, there's another hat shop in Milano--cappelleria melegari--which I didn't see. My appointment to see Leonardo's last supper was the only thing I managed to do that day which was our last in Milano. Family activities took all our time in the city.

DSC05457.jpg

The white hat in the window is mine. It was the last one of the few pure beaver he commissions each fall from Panizza. It was a tad snug but a few minutes on my stretcher...

DSC05458.jpg

Signore Maurizio:

DSC05462.jpg

The store:
DSC05463.jpg

DSC05460.jpg

Some of their tools:

DSC05464.jpg

DSC05461.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Bologna:

One of the reasons I went there was to visit Cappelleria Dante Barbetti. One of the oldest in Italy. Went out of business last month because of Borsalino. Sad.

DSC05832.jpg

Cappelleria Malaguti:
A lot of military hats and the largest selection of Barbisio I saw. Also overly expensive. Wasn't allowed to photograph the inside:

DSC05820.jpg

DSC05823.jpg

Borsalino store for women:
All they had was women's hats and a handful of men's caps and rain hats. Very small, beautiful shop with an Art Deco vibe:

DSC05873.jpg

DSC05875.jpg

Last edited:

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
i must NEVER let my wife see this thread...or she'll never let us visit italy again!!! It would be like dying and going to heaven lol. smashing pictures though

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Florence: Unfortunately only Borsalino stores there. This one was closed as it was Sunday.

DSC05948.jpg

DSC05936.jpg

Roma: My favorite was Cappelleria Troncarelli. Also a tiny shop full of character. My blue Barbisio was purchased there. The owner, who is the grandson of the founder wouldn't let me pay for the liner and sweatband I requested for my white hat. Italians are the warmest people I know.

DSC06092.jpg

DSC06093.jpg

DSC06098.jpg

DSC06095.jpg

DSC06097.jpg

DSC06099.jpg

DSC06100.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
My wife wouldn't let me buy this hat. I wonder why?...:D

DSC06102.jpg

We ditched the Mercedes and--again the warmth and charm of Italians--moved around Rome to the next hat shop in this Fiat 750 belonging to the land lady of the apt. we rented.

DSC06322.jpg

DSC06321.jpg

Borsalino Outlet right next to the Trevi fountain: Good prices, bad hats, tourist trap. I wasn't allowed to photograph inside.

DSC06294.jpg

DSC06293.jpg

Cappelleria Vigano: very old, very grumpy owner, many stetsons, some Barbisio, not great stock wise. They did have an AMAZING collection of tools and machines--not for sale though. I could only shoot what was on the window from the outside.

DSC06302.jpg

DSC06304.jpg

DSC06305.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Last but not least my favorite Borsalino store. In here I bought my first real fur felt hat two years ago when I started wearing them. This one is right off Piazza del Popolo.

DSC06289.jpg

DSC06286.jpg

DSC06288.jpg

Just noticed my wife's and my reflection in the mirror!

DSC06287.jpg

On our way out, a finely dressed man who agreed to pose for me:

DSC06368.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy these images as much as I enjoyed visiting these places.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wonderful! Thanks so much.

I often wonder why some shopkeepers don't allow photos when it would do nothing but good for their biz.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Great! Do you know of any in Venice?

Yes, actually. Cappelleria Linzi. Very small, rabbit felts of no brand. Pretty nice and decent quality. I found it by accident too and didn't have my camera with me. You can google it. And Borsalino too, of course.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL !!! Haven't seen any hat shops like those down here since I was a kid !! If I were to get to go over there as you I would sleep in the street to save money to buy more hats :) BTW, is the duty for them paid when you go thru customs or do you have to pay it at the store ? And how much duty would a person have to pay for one?

DRB

One Too Many
Aureliano, what can I say. I have so enjoyed the pictures of your Italian Hat Trip. I have never been to Italy before. I have never been to Heaven before. I hope to go to both some day. Maybe heaven IS in Italy?
Such exciting pictures. Thanks!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL !!! Haven't seen any hat shops like those down here since I was a kid !! If I were to get to go over there as you I would sleep in the street to save money to buy more hats :) BTW, is the duty for them paid when you go thru customs or do you have to pay it at the store ? And how much duty would a person have to pay for one?

Everything there includes tax so you don't really notice it or know how much it is. You could get your taxes money back at the airport but I think you have to spend a certain amount before you're allowed to claim. Not really sure as I didn't bother doing that. Hats are expensive over there specially since the value of the Dollar is lower than the Euro.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano, what can I say. I have so enjoyed the pictures of your Italian Hat Trip. I have never been to Italy before. I have never been to Heaven before. I hope to go to both some day. Maybe heaven IS in Italy?
Such exciting pictures. Thanks!

You're welcome. I have tons of non-hat related pictures too. I might post a few...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo