Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Sightings

Locally, I see mostly the wise-aged wearing fedoras, but they must be catching. A year back I bought a crush-able wool fedora for my dad at Penny's for $20 full price and this year the exact same hat is $50 (and I see similar everywhere I go.) They have to be returning to style for that price increase, right?

Luckily we caved in this year and just bought him a Stetson Saxon. He has a larger head size, so we have to wait until January to go pick it up at the hatters.

Wise-aged--- I like that! :D

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I posted on here a few months back on hat trends I see coming through the store I work at. Well since them I've seen the Non-Western, Non-Baseball Cap, Non-Cotton Stingy, Hats increasing. I am rather surprised and pleased to see more men wearing nice hats.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not only have I seen a lot of Fedoras this Christmas, I saw someone wearing a Akubra Territory at West Edmonton Mall last week.

DRB

One Too Many
Green Wool spotted at grocery store. I liked the hat on him. You don't see green a lot. He pulled it off well. I think he's going for the pizza!
PriceChopperGreenwool1.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
I ran into a man wearing a fedora at the supermarket yesterday. I gave him a thumbs up and got one in return for my Whippet.

I saw another man wearing a ball cap backward to cover his pony tail and to accent his earrings. That is more the norm around here.

Fedoras are as rare as hens teeth here. But this is the fashion sinkhole of the nation. This place follows fashion trends in last place. Maybe in a few years. Glad to see quality hats are gaining a foothold in more populous areas.

Bingles

A-List Customer
One of my friends told me that she's noticed quite a few young guys sporting "fedora" style hats.. usually the Target brand trillbys. I have to admit, here in the Buffalo area, I have noticed this also. Men of all ages seem to be more comfortable wearing fedora styles now. While they certainly aren't the norm.. nor ever will be, they seem to be much more acceptable now.

Personally, I don't want fedoras to be the "norm" again.. there's something so fun about being just a bit different. My friends can spot me and my pork-pies/diamonds a mile away.. and they love that! So do I :)

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I was at the SoCal Renaissance Faire on Saturday, and talked to a guy with an awesome brown Adventurebuilt. I was a bit drunk at the time, so I forgot to ask him if he was on here. Even with the beating he'd given it over time, it looked fantastic. Might just have to get me one sometime.

Was out on my Sunday morning errands and saw quite a few old boys out in their Buicks and Grand Marquis and Caddies, sporting trilbies and even a couple wide-brim fedoras today.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Last weekend I hosted a local guitar group at our 14,000 sq.ft. gym facility. Over 25 folks, guitars and 2 pro's came. We had a mini-concert, workshops, luthier demo's, Open Mic and a You Tube demo. To point: Dan Kase, local acoustic blues pro, came and played in his ancient Stetson Whippet. He wears his hat. I mean wears it.

Check out his pic, playing to an intently listening Dora;

IMG_5188.JPG

This constitutes a sighting! Eyes wide open, Eric -

FYI: Guitar buffs - the guitar is a new Kopp, slope shouldered, Mah/sitka guitar.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last weekend I hosted a local guitar group at our 14,000 sq.ft. gym facility. Over 25 folks, guitars and 2 pro's came. We had a mini-concert, workshops, luthier demo's, Open Mic and a You Tube demo. To point: Dan Kase, local acoustic blues pro, came and played in his ancient Stetson Whippet. He wears his hat. I mean wears it.

Check out his pic, playing to an intently listening Dora;

IMG_5188.JPG

This constitutes a sighting! Eyes wide open, Eric -

FYI: Guitar buffs - the guitar is a new Kopp, slope shouldered, Mah/sitka guitar.

That's a good hat on him.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I saw a man wearing what looked like one of those Official Indiana Jones hats, probably the fur felt version. I said to him, "Hey, cool hat, man!"

I heard him say, "Thanks." That was cool, I don't actually compliment others too often. I'm kind of shy, but I think I'll take up complimenting more often. Just got to be friendly.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I attended the Echo and the Bunnymen show at the Trocadero in Philadelphia last evening. After the show there was a cat standing outside in the throng with a good looking hat, black, teardrop creased, brim up all around. I had to tell him I dug his hat, he replied it was a Steson, doffed it to show me the liner, he said it was a new one, but it had decent dimensions(not 40's dimensiosn, but it complimented his look). His name was Jose, he said he was from San Francisco, but was in town for a bit. I gave him one of the FL matchbooks I carry and told him to look us up. :)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Saw this Gentleman here in NYC wearing a very nice panama Homburg. He allowed me to take the pictures though we wouldn't stop walking [huh]

IMG_04271.jpg

IMG_04281.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner