Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat slang

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Then there's the one that comes from the Burt Reynolds flick Semi Tough. Burt's in the can and someone keeps knocking at the door. Finally, Burt offers a suggestion regarding a novel use for the intruder's hat. "Go * in yer hat."
Which seems a pretty useful phrase.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
My Father in law was a WWII Navy vet who used to use a phrase that basically meant "F@$# off"

"Go piss in your flat hat."

A flat hat being the sailor's hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
"If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat."

they're actually not all that bad if you just add a bit of ketchup.
esp. vintage ones. It's kind of like aging beef or liquor.

emigran

Practically Family
Snood..,

Ever hear of this as a slang for a fedora...???
Spencer Tracy (who always wore a slammin' swooping fed) used it in a movie referring to a hat that he had left at Kate Hepburn's house which then was returned to him at his office. When asked what was in the box he replied ... "Ahhh , it' just an old snood I had re-blocked..."

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I tried to Google it and found this, which points to the Old English term "snod" meaning "ribbon for the hair" as the origin.

If you Google a phrase like "slang snood", you'll find lots of other meanings, I won't repeat here. That part of the research I'll leave to you :)

I'm confident that whatever character Spencer Tracy was playing in that film was using the term figuratively. Sorta like a person referring to his new $50,000 car as a bucket of bolts.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Ever hear of this as a slang for a fedora...???
Spencer Tracy (who always wore a slammin' swooping fed) used it in a movie referring to a hat that he had left at Kate Hepburn's house which then was returned to him at his office. When asked what was in the box he replied ... "Ahhh , it' just an old snood I had re-blocked..."

What's the title of the movie?

A snood is not slang for a fedora.

BeachSnoodPromo1.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Hat trick," in hockey and maybe some other sports
Mr. Wiki says: A hat-trick or hat trick in sport is the achievement of a positive feat three times or more during a game, or other achievements based on threes. The term was first used in 1858 in cricket to describe HH Stephenson's feat of taking three wickets with three consecutive deliveries. A collection was held for Stephenson, and he was presented with a hat bought with the proceeds. The term was used in print for the first time in 1878. The term was eventually adopted by many other sports including association football, water polo, and team handball, but did not become popular in North America until the mid-1940s in the National Hockey League.

The hat that the cricket team bought Mr. Stephenson was a top hat. Which is also slang for:
Being uncircumcised; Top hat rhymes with twat, (you can look that up yourself); Top hat is also a euphemism for condom.
There are more than a few more, but: :embarassed:

And I have read, but can't find to corroborate, that hat trick was one of the many Brit expressions that the GI's picked up, whilst stationed here in the run up to D-Day.

Titfer. Cockney rhyming slang: Tit for tat.
Dome Piece. Also has a rude double entendre.
Lid, stating the obvious.
Skid-lid. Crash helmet.
You can find all there is to know about hat names here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80