Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Smashed In Transit

Viktor

One of the Regulars
I received my hat today and it was slightly smashed, a little steam and it should be ok. It wasn’t the sender’s fault it’s all those Christmas packages piled up in transit. Words of advice, if you’re shipping that prized hat to a lounge member via USPS, make sure the postal clerk slaps on a Fragile sticker, hopefully they’ll place the package on top.

Happy Holidays
~vm~

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I read a thread about damaged packages a couple of months ago, and many USPS employees commented that a 'fragile' sticker won't always ensure special handling (still has to pass through mail-sort drops, survive the piles, etc). They strongly advise creating packages that can take a beating, if need be, as well as buying insurance for the item if it happens to be of significant value.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
I received my hat today and it was slightly smashed, a little steam and it should be ok. It wasn’t the sender’s fault it’s all those Christmas packages piled up in transit. Words of advice, if you’re shipping that prized hat to a lounge member via USPS, make sure the postal clerk slaps on a Fragile sticker, hopefully they’ll place the package on top.

Happy Holidays
~vm~

FYI, the fragile sticker is literally meaningless—there is no special process or care associated with it. It is purely psychological self-service. Damage comes down to packaging and luck.

Source: I work in the industry.

Last edited:

Forrest

Familiar Face
FYI, the fragile sticker is literally meaningless—there is no special process or care associated with it. It is purely psychological self-service. Damage comes down to packaging and luck.

Source: I work in the industry.

I was actually told by a UPS driver that a Fragile sticker actually can make a package a target for abuse. Pretty messed up!

Bugsy

One Too Many
I just saw the results of a survey. Packages marked "fragile" are dropped more than packages with no such designation. This is especially true of UPS and Fed Ex. The most carefully handled parcels, according to this survey, was by the USPS. There's one for Ripley's.

scooter

Practically Family
A telling commentary on our society in general, it would seem. I work in the airline industry and see some of the same type behavior. Sad!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I just saw the results of a survey. Packages marked "fragile" are dropped more than packages with no such designation. This is especially true of UPS and Fed Ex. The most carefully handled parcels, according to this survey, was by the USPS. There's one for Ripley's.

I've commented on this many times, based upon my own experience. I've never had a package sent via USPS damaged more than minimally (not enough to affect the contents) and even then it's been due to a non-shipping-appropriate box used by the seller. On the other hand, I've had plenty of things damaged/destroyed by UPS, FedEx, and DHL. I specify USPS whenever I can, and that does with non-ebay purchases as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic