Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat stolen!!!!

davidraphael

Practically Family
I try to wear my hat all the time when I'm out. I never like leaving it on a hat stand/rack in a restaurant - I only end up checking it every minute or two.
If I'm not eating I sit with it on my lap or hooked over my knee.

Sorry to hear about the robbery.

Dan Cav

New in Town
What ever happened to the concept "if it's not yours, don't touch it" ?? My parents instilled it in me, and I believe I have done the same for my kids. If everyone did the same, shameful acts like this wouldn't occur.

Sorry for your loss, mate. :(

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I know its contrary to hat etiquette, but in this day and age its probably a lot safer to just wear your hat while eating.

I agree it's best to leave it on, put it beside you, or place it on your knee/lap. On the other hand, I can find plenty of photos of men wearing hats inside diners back in the day, so I don't know how contrary it is to actual hat etiquette.

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I don't believe that hat will appear on ebay or craigslist. It was stolen to wear. And, since most people see department store hats that cost about $35 to $50, they don't realize that they're stealing a $200 hat.

Anecdote: I was wearing a black Biltmore teardrop fedora in a bar, and this attractive woman offers me $20 to wear my hat on the other side of the bar. Yeah, honey, and the instant I turn the other way, you've stolen a $140 hat. No thanks.

I otherwise haven't had any walk off but I keep them pretty close. As for wearing it when I eat, if it's safe to set it down, I do but otherwise keep it on. On the other hand, I don't eat out much any more.

Tom

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Years ago I had a hat stolen out of a restaurant by a bus boy and the cashier said they knew this guy was taking people's hats but the owner wouldn't do anything about it.
I learned my lesson.
The hat stays with me.
I am perfectly willing to put my hat on a chair next to me. Otherwise it stays on my head.
When I have to sit in a restaurant ... even nice ones ... and listen to inappropriate discussions and foul language, the burden of seeing a man with a nice looking hat on pales in comparison.

Sorry this happened to you.

Sam

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Alright bud....I'm coming down to Texas and we are going to bust some skulls. I will be looking out for your Dobbs on ebay.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Bring a plastic shopping bag when you go into a restaurant. If you take your hat off and place it on a chair next to you stuff it into the bag first. It will protect the hat from spills. Otherwise leave the hat on your head.

Wconly

Familiar Face
Man, what kind of hat was? Do you still have it?Justin B, my heart goes out to you. Hope you and your lid are reunited soon.

You see, this is why I hide a business card with my signature and phone number under the sweat. You just never know...

It was a brown stetson that I had just purchased shortly before this incident. As to what happened to it...wore it for years, along with other hats I had at the time and then one night my (new at the time) puppy ate it! Guess, overall, I was not supposed to keep that particular hat. Such is life. However, I will state that the puppy incident was my fault as I left it out on a chair upon retiring to bed -- so can't really blame the dog, but as for someone stealing it -- whole other issue! W>

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, when I'm at people's hats who have dogs, I put hat either in a closet, or as high up as possible. With cats, it doesn't matter how high up, but they generally don't mess with things like hats, at least not in my experience. They couldn't care less.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Let me add that I too am sorry about your hat....

I believe I will wear my hat if no chair or hat hook exists at my table........

I might not be polite, but I will NOT be hatless....

You can take some solace in the fact that you have alerted many of us to not fall into the same bad luck and thus saving a few hats in the future I am sure......

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
With cats, it doesn't matter how high up, but they generally don't mess with things like hats, at least not in my experience. They couldn't care less.
My cats were known to sit on any hat (or garment for that matter) that was left on a chair or table. Either they were attracted to my scent or they just wanted to piss me off. I don't know which.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My cats were known to sit on any hat (or garment for that matter) that was left on a chair or table. Either they were attracted to my scent or they just wanted to piss me off. I don't know which.

I have 4 cats currently and have had cats for over 40 years and never had any of them do more than give my hats a curssory sniff or two and walk off. Now, shedding is another story, especially white cats and black hats :)

DNO

One Too Many
I absolutely despise thieves. I hope you find the hat...was the restaurant a local establishment? Perhaps if you pop in once in a while you'll spot the malefactor wearing your lid. I keep my hats with me in restaurants...either on a spare chair or on top of my wife's purse.

And cats...when I'm wearing my hat, my cat just looks at me like I'm from another planet. Other than that, he couldn't care less...never bothers them.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have 4 cats currently and have had cats for over 40 years and never had any of them do more than give my hats a cursory sniff or two and walk off.
Well, then maybe I had the cats from hell. Or maybe they loved me so that they sat on my hat to discourage me from leaving.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner