Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Storage Advice

Razzman

One Too Many
Summer Straws and Panama Hat Storage.

I don't know if this has been previously discussed. If so, I appologize and perhaps somebody could direct me to the thread.
How does one properly store a straw hat, or Panama hat? Besides the obvious, placing it in a box and shelve it.[huh] Any tips?? Will the hat distort in any way? I would appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance.:)

RedPop4

One Too Many
I really don't know, I do hope Panama Bob or Sharpetoys chimes in.
I put my Panama Bob hat back in the box and put it up on the shelf in the closet for the winter about a week or two ago.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hat storage

I got my hooks up. How's this look?. It solves some of the problem. My closet is still flooded, as is the basement, but this provides some at hand.

IMG_2720.jpg

This is the top of my closet. Most of the hat boxes have more than one hat in them, separated by those plastic anti hat slime protector thingys that I'm sure there's a real name for.

IMG_2725.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
feltfan said:
Nice! Let's see photos of a few more of those beauties.

careful what you wish for;)
hats on the hooks, from right to left are:

Lee
Bond
Brent
Champ
Manhattan
Knox
Borsalino

The stetson box has a stetson milan, a new "straw", and a coconut porkpie.

the white box under that has my '50's morfelt, and my three other beater new wool hats

the top gold color box in the next row has the extremely wide band resistol porkpie

dobbs street scene box has a resistol executive in it

Churchill box has a '30's borsalino leo in it (ex Marriott)

Dobbs stagecoach box (also ex marriott) has a tiny benchmade homburg

white box under that has a resistol san antonio

under that is a box containing a brown dobbs

under that is a late '40's/ early '50's Brent

downstairs i've got my cavanaugh and my stetson derby.

Feraud

Bartender
The arrangement looks good. The only problem I see is having dust accumulate on the exposed hats. I notice this sometimes happens to my hats that are on the hatrack. An occasional dusting is necessary to keep them in order.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Bud-n-Texas said:
I have often wondered if there was something that could be put on a straw to rejuvenate it so to speak. Vintage straws often are very brittle.

The key is don't let them get brittle... Once they are its to late...I mist my hats our let steam from the shower every month or so...

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
That is where the problem came from. Sadly purchasing a vintage on line, is a gamble at best. I bought one only to find out after it arrived, it was very dry and fragile. I wear it only from time to time, due to its fragile nature.

BigSho

Vendor
The cracks on the top have nothing to do with the straw drying out most of the time when you go into a store. People tend to pick up straw hats, cheap and expensize, by the pinch and squeeze. We carry a few sisol and baku straw hats in our store which are fragile by nature, and every time someone goes for the pinch I cringe in fear.

Jeremy
http://www.hats-plus.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot