Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Storage

Dixon

New in Town
I've read all the warnings against storing a hat on its brim and it makes sense to me. So where and how do you keep your fedoras when you are not wearing them?

Is a hook preferable to a hat box, or visa versa?

Any of you vets have some good advice?
Thanks.

Best,
D

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Hat rack in the foyer, shelves in three closets, hat boxes in two rooms and the garage. I, too, try to store correctly, but when I don't a little steam puts things right.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Homburg on shelf, all other hats are stacked on it on top of each other. The Homburd's crown in flat anyway and the fedoras on top rest in the same way as if they are being worn.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I made a hanging hat sculpture....

I used some parachute cord & a bunch of food clips to make this for my hats .. It works really well & looks phenomenal hanging in my walk in closet & it's constantly changing as I rotate my hats or purchase more. The clips do not mark my hats & I clip them on the back of the hats .. my newsboys and baseball caps are stacked in a wicker basket with a cover. I keep my really soft hats in hatboxes stacked in the corner. I also installed a chain in the closet to hang my sports coats. ;)

IMG_0242.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0267.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
via FoxyTunes

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
How do you guys store your hats? I have 6 hats (that I rotate through on a daily basis), but only two hatboxes. One of those shouldn't even count since it is just the box that a new Bailey came in, but it does have an inner tube so that the hat can be placed in the box with the crown down. I keep lookng for new hat boxes, and I find them but they don't have the tubes included. Am I doomed to trying to buy vintage boxes on ebay, or is there a better way?

KevKaos59

Familiar Face
From what I have read on those link so far (connection is acting up) there is a lot of good information. If anyone out there knows where I might find NEW hatboxes that are like the vintage hatboxes, that would be very helpful. I already have small cedar blocks (the size of a bar of soap) to try and keep the moths away.

hatted

One of the Regulars
Hat boxes are pretty easy to find - it's the inserts that are not readily available. What we need is instructions on how to make a decent hat box insert (or a website that sells the inserts themselves).

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Take a look here:

http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/

The Adventurebilt boxes have the inserts for sure, and I'm fairly certain the normal boxes under 'Hat Boxes' do as well. Expensive, but they seem very good. Was thinking of a few for myself, so if anyone gets or has some, please let me know how they are.

Cheers,
flute

hatted

One of the Regulars
fluteplayer07 said:
Take a look here:

http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/

The Adventurebilt boxes have the inserts for sure, and I'm fairly certain the normal boxes under 'Hat Boxes' do as well. Expensive, but they seem very good. Was thinking of a few for myself, so if anyone gets or has some, please let me know how they are.

Cheers,
flute

The Adventurebilt boxes are way too pricey and the other boxes don't have inserts. There are plenty of places to buy hat boxes inexpensively, but there's nowhere to buy the inserts.

bendingoak

Vendor
http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/ Hat boxes are not your regular hat box. They are not cardboard or just finished with tape that you see mostly.

sarahshatboxes are acid free chip board finished with different type of fabrics. There are no staples used on the boxes at all. A lot of care goes into these boxes. High end boxes for high end hats.

I'm not sure but drop Peter a line and ask if he would make you inserts. He's a real nice guy and the company is a family run biz. Not many mom and pop companies around and I for one like to see them stay.

hatted

One of the Regulars
bendingoak said:
http://www.sarahshatboxes.com/ Hat boxes are not your regular hat box. They are not cardboard or just finished with tape that you see mostly.

sarahshatboxes are acid free chip board finished with different type of fabrics. There are no staples used on the boxes at all. A lot of care goes into these boxes. High end boxes for high end hats.

I'm not sure but drop Peter a line and ask if he would make you inserts. He's a real nice guy and the company is a family run biz. Not many mom and pop companies around and I for one like to see them stay.

The thing is, I just want a safe place to keep my hats. I'm not planning on displaying hat boxes. I just want safe storage. I'm not against fancy boxes, vintage or otherwise, but I can't abide a box that costs so much. It's about the hat, not the box (for me).

Cracker

One of the Regulars
hatted said:
The thing is, I just want a safe place to keep my hats. I'm not planning on displaying hat boxes. I just want safe storage. I'm not against fancy boxes, vintage or otherwise, but I can't abide a box that costs so much. It's about the hat, not the box (for me).

Panama Bob sells cardboard hat boxes with the inner ring on ebay. Search "Montecristi Panama Hat box Hatbox storage case handle." I don't have one, but I've thought about buying one from him.

I've got some vintage hat boxes & really like the one that Art sends with his VS customs. I do have some from modern Stetson & Resistol western hat purchases as well as Akubra buys. Seems somebody makes the boxes used by Akubra & Hats Direct, that are utilitarian boxes below those that Art uses that make good storage for hats not in current wear rotation. They probably just don't sell retail... [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko