Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat store start up kit

Aaron Hats said:
The book is from 1919.

Ah, that makes sense now. The $75 that bought you the starter kit is now $843 from the Excel file and $922 from the inflation adjuster. A $20 hat in 1947 would be $190 and $175 respectively today. You can probably get a hat off the shelf for that amount today but the quality will be significantly different----Significantly. hmmmm.

Regards to all,

J

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
HAT BOOK

The book was available on the website www.abe.com
I found a copy last year that was autographed by the author . I believe his name was Henry Ermattinger .
I dont think it would be illegal to copy the book just a pain as it got ot be 100 pages . :cool2:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I wouldn't worry about making and distributing copies of a book that was published in 1919. According to my understanding of the Copyright Act of 1976, the maximum life of any copyright filed before 1976 is 75 years. The latest that the copyright on that work could have expired was in 1994. It is in the public domain now.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, but I had to study mass communications law to get my degree in broadcasting, and copyright law was a big part of it.

makll

Familiar Face
Fedora said:
Yes, and mine is too. I think we got ours from the same hatter.;) But, if there is a trustworthy fellow here who wants to use my copy to make more copies, with no money involved except the price of having it done, I will lend you mine. But, since this book supposedly is out of print, hence the copies that are out there, this may be the only way one can get it. It was printed in 1919, and the info came from an immigrant master hatter who went to work for a hatter in the US, and was told his hats were too fine!!! He went to South America where he made hats for the rich and famous before coming back to America. I think I have that right, but it has been awhile since I read it. It is good reading, due to the era that it was written, especially for folks who love vintage hats. This master hatter frowned heavily upon anyone who machine pounced fine felt. Fine felt was to be only hand pounced. Just a few of us adhere to that old tradition nowadays. The lower quality felt, sure, go ahead and use the machines, as it would probably need it!! :cheers1: Fedora

Hey guys,
yes, surely you did.
It can be had from the library of congress. I am about to order.
If one of you will make a copy I would be interested, Steve, if you are serious about your offer it will save about 2 months time. I think the copy right law has expired on it.
The Library of congress makes copies and one of the librarians suggested I make my own. So let me know as I am placing my order this week.

Hope you are both well
mak

makll said:
Hey guys,
yes, surely you did.
It can be had from the library of congress. I am about to order.
If one of you will make a copy I would be interested, Steve, if you are serious about your offer it will save about 2 months time. I think the copy right law has expired on it.
The Library of congress makes copies and one of the librarians suggested I make my own. So let me know as I am placing my order this week.

Hope you are both well
mak

You went in and asked for the book or they are sending it to you? I am glad I mentioned that then. Put me down for a copy.

Regards to all,

J

P.S. There is another book by the same author but I forget the title. Check it out if they will let you.

silverHalo

New in Town
Copies anyone??

I work for a large copy outfit and would happily offer my services to this project. I can print and bind copies for just the cost of shipping. I also have access to high-volume and oversized scanners to create digital files (PDF's) of old out-of-print catalogs, books, pictures, etc. if anyone wants to share their collection!! Then we could archive them for member downloading...

makll

Familiar Face
JAmes.
I was going to oder direct from the Library of congress, it can take up to two months.
Lets wait for fedora to reply about the loan on his copy.
Then I will just copy the copy. If not I will try to obtain the book to copy myself so you can have one to. That will take a longer time as well.
Either way, I would be glad to help.

makll

Familiar Face
I hadnt done a search for it in a long time and so looked around today.
Much to my surprise I found one.
So, after a year of looking, I ordered it.

On a comtemplative note:
If tools, materials, supplies, even books were more widely available, would more people be making custom hats?

Arctichighlandr

New in Town
Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating by Henry Ermatinger, Hatter. c.1919

I found a source for this book at Iva Rose Reproductions, URL: http://www.ivarose.com/inc/sdetail/4901 This version is an enhanced copyrighted version of the original (see URL: http://www.ivarose.com/faq ). It normally sells for $20 plus $4.50 shipping but is on sale for $10 through the month of November.

I came across information on this book (described as Scientific Hatmaking) while going back through the forum archives. I did an internet search and found it offered on ebay and discovered the actual title was Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating by Henry Ermatinger, Hatter. c.1919. After several unsuccessful attempts to bid on copies of it (which generally went for $20-$23) I did another internet search with the correct title and found the above site and have just ordered a copy. I then did a search of this forum with the correct title and found and read this thread and thought there might still be some interest in obtaining copies of this book. Hope it's helpful.

Arctichighlandr said:
I found a source for this book at Iva Rose Reproductions, URL: http://www.ivarose.com/inc/sdetail/4901 This version is an enhanced copyrighted version of the original (see URL: http://www.ivarose.com/faq ). It normally sells for $20 plus $4.50 shipping but is on sale for $10 through the month of November.

I came across information on this book (described as Scientific Hatmaking) while going back through the forum archives. I did an internet search and found it offered on ebay and discovered the actual title was Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating by Henry Ermatinger, Hatter. c.1919. After several unsuccessful attempts to bid on copies of it (which generally went for $20-$23) I did another internet search with the correct title and found the above site and have just ordered a copy. I then did a search of this forum with the correct title and found and read this thread and thought there might still be some interest in obtaining copies of this book. Hope it's helpful.

Holy Crimony! Thanks for the resource. That should make an interesting read for a reasonable price.

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Arctichighlandr

New in Town
Great book!

Arctichighlandr said:
I found a source for this book at Iva Rose Reproductions, URL: http://www.ivarose.com/inc/sdetail/4901 This version is an enhanced copyrighted version of the original (see URL: http://www.ivarose.com/faq ). It normally sells for $20 plus $4.50 shipping but is on sale for $10 through the month of November. QUOTE]

My copy arrived a couple day ago. It is beautifully reformatted in large type (easy on my older eyes) with excellent illustrations. It looks like a great book! I just need to find the time to sit and read it. Only one more day to get it at half price! Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24