Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat style

raven5

New in Town
I've lurked on this forum on and off for a long time. I love the discussions.

I've always liked hats and I wish the formality of wearing them was as prevalent now as it used to be.

I've been looking for an all around style that fits me the best. Some styles just don't fit some people, ya know? Lol

I know what I like as far as looking at, but I'm having the hardest time figuring out brim width, crown height and style and even color that works best for me. You guys are are the experts and and I value the opinions on here. To each their own of course, but you know what I mean.

I've looked forever. I like the looks of Clint's in Unforgiven: flat-ish brim with only a slight drop front to back. I've never liked the sides of a hat turned up too much for myself, but it works for others.

I'm 5'9" and roughly 190-195lbs. I don't think I can pull off a brim too wide as I think I look like I'm wearing my daddy's hat. I have trouble with crown height as well and how much slope it should or shouldn't have.

I'm including some pics so don't laugh too hard. I just got out of some meetings so the casual business look doesn't go with the hat.

I was browsing this store in Raleigh a few weeks ago. Tried this on. Stetson. I like the looks of the pinch front, tear drop or whatever they're called. From the front though, it looks to me that it narrows too fast and looks like a pyramid. Maybe a different crown? Raylan's crown style in Justified looks good but seems to me to work best on someone taller than myself.

Give me thoughts, advice, opinions, etc.

Also, how good is the quality of a 5X? Durability?
20151027_212255.jpg

20151008_193915.jpg

20151027_215005.jpg
20151027_215223.jpg

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge!

I think the hat looks good on you. I can't speak to the quality of the specific model. What is the brim width on that Catera?

When would you wear this hat mostly?

Also on price point you could pick up a couple of different Akubras from Everythingaustralian for about the same including the shipping.

I will finish off with saying look at a Camp Draft from Akubra. Nice open crown hat at a terrific price. I think you will find plenty of folks around here who will vouch or their quality, durability and styling.

,,,Mike in Canada

ingineer

One Too Many
Well; thanks for the pictures, now i know what never to buy.
You are in OH-10 with a hat that screams western with the leather band, costs as much as two Akubras and has an enormous amount of taper, no upgrades like a bound brim.
Sorry i can't recommend that, take the advice and buy a Campdraft part Western part fedora and maybe something like a Banjo patterson
look in the Akubra overload thread

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
All personal opinions about brands and models aside, I think that the biggest part of looking good in a hat or anything for that matter is to convince yourself that you don't look like a dork in it. If you think you look like a dork, it will show in your demeanor whilst wearing it, and you will seem like the hat is wearing you, so to speak. Wear with confidence, and you can pull off the look you want.
That said, there are lots of good prices on Akubras, not to mention tons of vintage lids on ebay, especially if you like Westerns and/or have a smaller head size. Lots of 60's vintage Stetsons and other brands which, quality-wise, would most likely be better than most new stuff.
For what it's worth...

raven5

New in Town
The Catera has a 3 1/4" brim. Not sure if I could pull off a 3 1/2" brim or not.

I wasn't necessarily set on the Catera, but just the style. Same goes for the band. I liked the Drifter brim a bit better, I think. Again, not set on Stetson but just figuring out styles.

As far as quality, how does the Gun Club 5X compare to the Akubras? What about the buffalo Stetson hats?

The Banjo's brim is a bit too small for my tastes. I don't want a huge brim by any means, but a bit more outdoors style (size). Anything smaller and I'll reserve it for a fedora for dressier (not outdoors) or everyday situations.

Ingineer-do you hate the hat that much or just the way it looks on me? I'm not crazy about the band on that particular hat, but bands are a simple change. And a hat screaming western in this part of Ohio is acceptable if one chooses. Lots of outdoors and here. :)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Catera has a 3 1/4" brim. Not sure if I could pull off a 3 1/2" brim or not.

I wasn't necessarily set on the Catera, but just the style. Same goes for the band. I liked the Drifter brim a bit better, I think. Again, not set on Stetson but just figuring out styles.

As far as quality, how does the Gun Club 5X compare to the Akubras? What about the buffalo Stetson hats?

The Banjo's brim is a bit too small for my tastes. I don't want a huge brim by any means, but a bit more outdoors style (size). Anything smaller and I'll reserve it for a fedora for dressier (not outdoors) or everyday situations.

Ingineer-do you hate the hat that much or just the way it looks on me? I'm not crazy about the band on that particular hat, but bands are a simple change. And a hat screaming western in this part of Ohio is acceptable if one chooses. Lots of outdoors and here. :)
What you said in your ORIGINAL post... its the taper towards the tip of the crown that you don't like. Look for a hat with STRAIGHT sides and a "fat" crown. AKUBRA or a straight sided crown on one of the other Stetsons are your best bet. Or look into vintage on Ebay as many of the older hats were blocked with straighter crowns.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Sir; We each make our own style. Wear your hat and do not let the hat rest on your hat. Live the style, it is not a costume. In order to find that comfort, perhaps visiting some used hats or checking out different styles (western, fedoras of different vtg or types, all others) would be useful. While shopping check out the 'WHAT HAT ARE YOU WEARING" thread. All varieties are posted daily. Buy a couple and wear them so you can find out what you like.

I am a Short Balding Guy and regularly wear fedoras of 2.5" or more. I do not feel silly wearing them. In fact I enjoy the thin ribbon fedora style as it walks between the city and country world I live in daily. Here is an example (vtg. stetson Stratoliner inspired VS fedora) to get you started.

i-FVJFqxp-S.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well almost all is said.
The durability depends on your usage, wearing a felt hat on rain and keeping it soaked will "kill" even the most expensive one. Wearing it every day with little care, it will last you years.
Please note that being a 5X is does not mean to be a 5X beaver felt. Akubra does not have a X quality "rank" and those are rugged and great quality (they also have no mention on beaver).
Buffalo Stetsons are considered wool, but still a good hat but I would not buy one at the price they sell in the stores (I got one used on ebay).
Brim/crown size, wear what you feel comfortable.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
You are having a problem that many people have when they first start wearing hats. Everybody that posted before me has given you sage advice and i will echo much of it. From personal experience i have found that to truly be a happy hat wearer you gotta get out of the mindset of worrying if you look like a dork. We all look good in certain hats so the second it goes on your head you know yourself. I do not like this hat on you for a multitude of reasons. Your size has little to do with it not working , i dont think the hat would look good on anybody (i guess i am saying i hate this hat lol). The reason we all suggested campdrafts were because of the thin ribbon, good quality and it can be seen as a crossover town and country so to speak

Last edited:

skydog757

A-List Customer
No one is saying that you don't look good in the hat, rather the hat doesn't look good on you. The color is nice and you might want to consider one in that color (or silverbelly, grey, etc.) because you're going to want a hat that is versatile. I agree that a band is an easy fix, but why buy one that you know you'll want to change right away?

I will second pretty much everyone who has replied, especially Matt and Moe. Most men look good in a fedora, they just don't know it yet. However, I have some more specific advice. You are in Cincy. March yourself downtown to Batsakes Hat Shop and spend some time with them trying on different styles. Look at different crown heights and brim widths. Mr. Miller does not carry much in the way of Stetsons (he's down on them) and no Akubras (which I also recommend), but he has Borsalinos, Selentinos, and other major brands. Additionally, for a little more than that Stetson you are looking at, Gus Miller can make you a custom beaver hat to your liking.

The Catera is one of the models in the Gun Club collection by Stetson, produced under license by HatCo in Garland, TX. Another model in the collection is the Dune, which looks a lot like an Akubra Campdraft.
This style is an Outback as opposed to a Western = not as wide of a brim, teardrop or center dent crease. You'll still get cowboy comments as anything passed a pork-pie will be considered a cowboy hat by general public.
Like said by some earlier, the comfort of a wider brim or taller crown is an evolution that a lot here have experienced. I came from western hats so the brims were already wide. Appreciation for the taller, straight-sided crowns came with understanding the effects of symmetry for my head & face shape with a hat's crown size & shape.
Welcome to the Lounge!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Catera is one of the models in the Gun Club collection by Stetson, produced under license by HatCo in Garland, TX. Another model in the collection is the Dune, which looks a lot like an Akubra Campdraft.
This style is an Outback as opposed to a Western = not as wide of a brim, teardrop or center dent crease. You'll still get cowboy comments as anything passed a pork-pie will be considered a cowboy hat by general public.
Like said by some earlier, the comfort of a wider brim or taller crown is an evolution that a lot here have experienced. I came from western hats so the brims were already wide. Appreciation for the taller, straight-sided crowns came with understanding the effects of symmetry for my head & face shape with a hat's crown size & shape.
Welcome to the Lounge!
Always liked the "Dune."

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Everything has already been said but I'll add my 2 penneth worth.

I have yet to see a hat that didn't suit someone. Lots of things are written on the web about head shape and crown/brim dimensions but I haven't yet seen a picture of someone wearing a hat (except for comic reasons) that didn't look right on them. Fashions change in hat styles just as other clothing items and I think we are lucky at the present time because we can wear any style of brimmed fur hat without fear of it being "un-fashionable". So, tall crown, full brim, tapered crown, stingy brim, huge brimmed westerns...it's all good.
Wear what you want to wear and feel good doing it.

Also a seriously big +1 about the Akubras. I'm a huge fan of their hats.

raven5

New in Town
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've no problem wearing a hat around no matter others opinions, I just wanted some opinions from other hat guys. I'm not hooked on the Stetson above, it was only what I tried on and I kinda liked it. It didn't look (to me) as good on my head as in my hand. I think it is the taper it has and I need a crown that doesn't taper as much. I do like the color though. I like silverbelly as well.

I do want a hat that can be a little universal, in town and out, so a brim width that is just right is what I'm trying to find. For me, I think 3.25" to 3.5" is max. I actually liked Raylan's style and crown on Justified, but because of the show it makes me want to avoid it...

What are Akubras made of? Is beaver the best? Seems there are a lot of opinions on this. The Buffalo Stetson I handled seemed pretty stiff as well.

I also like a little stiffer hat so it will hold shape a bit better rather than the floppier styles. I'm also crossed on the teardrop style or whatever it's called and more of a longer crease. Opinions?

I've been to Batsakes a few times. Bought a black Stetson gun club years ago, probably around '92 or so. Worn very little actually. Think I paid $120 or so for it. I'm into lighter colors now.

Akubras are rabbit & rabbit/hare blend. They do have 1 model that had some beaver blended in but don't think it took off that well.
3.25 to 3.5 is a fairly wide brim for fedoras, more Outback or Western at that width. Raylan's hat is definitely Western, actual hat in the book was an Open Road.
Enjoy the hunt & find one you like. Wear it in good health...

raven5

New in Town
I've heard everyone say that Akubras are very durable. I'm just wondering then, if most of them are rabbit hair or rabbit/hare blend why are Stetsons that are made of rabbit considered so inferior to those that are beaver? It seems that any Stetsons that are mainly rabbit hair everyone is told to avoid. Am I missing something? Are Stetson's rabbit felt inferior to Akubra's rabbit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner