Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Virgin

sja

New in Town
Its catching

There is something about hat wearing, without even yet having received my ordered Homburg, and all the support and advice from herein; my wife is now talking about getting herself a hat. Any ideas ?

sja

New in Town
thanks for the link but she was actually talking of something like a man's trllby. Is there anything she should be careful about as a woman buying a mans hat ie what about fit?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is something about hat wearing, without even yet having received my ordered Homburg, and all the support and advice from herein; my wife is now talking about getting herself a hat. Any ideas ?

My suggestion is to canvass E Bay. There's millions of ladies' hats available for a reasonable price. Because the inventory crosses decades of time, you see a huge variety of styles. That's what she needs--to see many styles to narrow down "her type." Then buy a few of them. One thing I would add, having bought some hats for my wife--about 90% seem to be wool hats, which is good for price, but I am now holding out for fur felt women's hats for wife. They are cooler.

sja

New in Town
In order to protect against the very unlikely eventuality of someone else picking up my hat by mistake, where and how is the best place to mark a hat with my own name?

sja

New in Town
the hat finally arrived. After waiting more than a month it was too SMALL! I will persevere and get one the right size, i am surprised though by how much the brim curls up. Is there any way I can flatten the brim or substantially reduce the curl of the brim without ruining the hat?

sja,

Homburgs by nature have a significant curl to the brim, much like a derby. If you start to flatten it too much, the hat will look "off. If you want a flatter brim, you may want to consider a fedora with a bound brim instead. That way you can flip the brim up or down as you choose.

Secondly, you may want to measure your head with a tape measure to get the right size, alternatively, you could go to a shop that sells sized hats (not small, medium, large) in London and try a few on to see what fits best. Then when you order, you will be more likely to get a good size.

Good luck hat-hunting and welcome to the lounge.

By the way, here in the states we have cards that go in the hat that say "Like Hell it's yours, put it back", that should discourage would-be hat thieves.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Given when these cards were popular, as in when everyone wore a hat, I think they just kept the honest people honest by avoiding confusion when there were so many similar hats on a rack in a restaurant, for instance. The "Like hell its yours' stuff was just a little humor, afaic.

These days, the only time I see more than one hat (mine) on a public hat rack is when I am in temple. Iow, in most situations there is no confusion, and if someone wants your hat, theyre gonna take it, cute warning card or not.

sja

New in Town
I did measure very careful, so too did my wife, before placing the order! I think that I will have to take your advice and go to a shop and be properly measured. Unfortunately I will still have to bear the cost of returning the item. I do still want to "flatten" the brim. Many of the homburgs I have seen in The Lounge have only a little curl to the brim, and thats the style I am after. Its just a question of how I achieve it.

sja,

It can be done with judicious use of steam. You can use a kettle, or an actual clothing steamer, I suggest distilled water. If you go carefully around the brim, you can shape it to your liking, and gradually lower the sides of the brim curve. Again, it may take quite a bit of time and patience due to the built-in curve of the homburg.

An FL member here, the Good has sort of flattened the brim on his homburg, and given it a fedora crease, I think it looks quite good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80