Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Virgin

sja

New in Town
Despite being a hat virgin, I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a Homburg on line. I am now left with so many questions even before I have received it. Please would someone be kind enough to put me out of my misery.

1. When delivered, how do I best make fine adjustments to the size i.e. if it
pinches or is loose in places?
2. How do I give it a centre crease?
3. Is there a specific depth for said crease?
4. Will the crease stay in place, or does it need "fixing"?
5. How do I care for my hat i.e. what do I do if it gets wet or dirty?
6. How do I let my hat sit on a surface so as to keep it in shape especially if
wet?
7. What is the etiquette for wearing a hat i.e. do I take it off when entering
someone's home, but keep it on in a public building etc?
8. Finally, what if I lose the courage to wear it?

Yours in anticipation
A new hat wearer

fmw

One Too Many
If you buy a new one, it should come ready to wear - all creased and curled. If you change the crease, you do it by wetting or steaming the felt, making the adjustments and then letting it dry. If it gets wet, you adjust it and let it dry. If it gets dirty, you brush it. To dry it, you should be able to just sit on a flat surface on its brim without causing any issues. I'll leave the etiquette and courage up to you. There was a fairly exhaustive thread on etiquette. It shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck with the new homburg. Welcome aboard.

Ken Paulson

New in Town
The first few times you wear a hat, it's not so much you walking down the street, it's more like a really nice hat going down the street with you sort of dangling underneath. Persevere, and you and the hat will become perfect partners.
Enjoy.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Welcome!

1. wear it - if the hat is not perfect for the shape of your head, the heat from your head will gradually cause it to become perfect.
2. As FMW said, it should come with one. If it doesn't, I would actually recommend not using water or steam: just put in the crease by pushing the felt in. It may try to revert to that perfect dome, but just keep correcting it whenever it pops back out and eventually (after a few hours) it will accept the new shape. You can do it with water/steam as well, but it isn't really necessary and getting the hat wet could make it taper more easily.
3. No. Different people have different preferences.
4. As said before, it may try to revert back at first, but it should soon accept the new shape.
5. There are numerous water repellents available on the internet. John Penman used to offer the best stuff on the internet, but it is no longer available. I've heard good things about Scout Felt Hat Rain and Stain protector, which you can find on google. For dirt, I'd just brush the hat every once in a while. A hatter can do more in-depth cleaning when you get the hat reblocked.
6. Opinion is divided on this. The majority tends to advise that you pop out the crown so that it's a dome again, and then have it rest on its dome. I find this tends to flatten out the dome and thus affect the shape of the hat. Personally, I just hang my hat on a hat rack whenever it gets wet. Hat jacks work nicely too.
7. People have posted a lot about very detailed rules for hat etiquette. They work for some people, but I would get really tired of tipping my hat at every woman that walks by. It would also be extremely awkward. In general, I just adhere to the rule of taking my hat off in private establishments (houses, restaurants, people's offices) and keeping the hat on in public establishments (outside, the mall, diners).
8. I find that the courage to wear hats isn't really something you lose. The most difficult part is at the beginning, when you're unused to it. Once it becomes a part of your personality, you'll feel comfortable with it, and so will other people. If you occasionally get a negative remark, post it in the "dumbest comment I ever heard" thread and try to focus on the positive comments.

Hope this helps, -M

Last edited:

sja

New in Town
Once again can I say thanks for all the very useful advice and support I have received. I now cant wait for my "titfer" to arrive.

Alex

Practically Family
To brush your hat properly, do you need an actual hat brush or can you just use a soft brush or something? Sorry if this is a lame question but I'm quite curious.

Big_e

Practically Family
To brush your hat properly, do you need an actual hat brush or can you just use a soft brush or something? Sorry if this is a lame question but I'm quite curious.

A boar hair brush is the brush to use for a hat. The softer bristles similar to the quality of a shaving brush. Synthetic brushes can tiny sharp rasping tips that can damage a hat. Counterclockwise is the direction to brush a hat, the crown and brim.
Ernest

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
A couple of old shoeshine brushes serve me well.

I would not recomend old, used on shoes or boots brushes as there may be some transfer of residual polish to the felt :) A good hat brush is not that expensive and most hat shops or internet retailers sell them. Or buy some new shoe brushes. Horsehair is also used in shoe brushes :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A boar hair brush is the brush to use for a hat. The softer bristles similar to the quality of a shaving brush. Synthetic brushes can tiny sharp rasping tips that can damage a hat. Counterclockwise is the direction to brush a hat, the crown and brim.
Ernest

Do the underside of the brim clockwise as you are looking at it.

sja

New in Town
mine of advice

Do the underside of the brim clockwise as you are looking at it.

Just want to say how fortunate I am to have found this site which is a mine of information, support and advice. Still waiting for delivery but now already considering a second purchase!

Still concerned about applying a centre crease though, as the web site shows the hat in its virgin or domed state.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Worry not, sja: manipulating the hat 'til it suits your taste is downright fun, and chances are you won't damage it in the process. Especially if you read a bunch of archival threads on this forum. Welcome, by the way!

Just want to say how fortunate I am to have found this site which is a mine of information, support and advice. Still waiting for delivery but now already considering a second purchase!

Still concerned about applying a centre crease though, as the web site shows the hat in its virgin or domed state.

eto

New in Town
Welcome from a fellow new hat wearing fellow. Don't over think it and you will love wearing these type of hats for a long time, I know Im really enjoying it.

Cheers

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80