Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Wearers: You're Just Trying to Be Don Draper. Stop It.

On the contrary Matt, I think the majority of folk here wear more "standard"
clothing than not. My musical tastes run from Hank Williams to Jack Johnson
and anything in between. By the same token, I do enjoy old movies and golden age clothing, but I don't dress like that most of the time.

If you think about it, trends have to be started somewhere, somehow. The article referenced assumes that fedora wearers are mimicking Mad Men. Heck, could be Indy, Bogey, Johhny Depp or no one for that matter. Most of us wear hats because we like them and they are functional. I also happen to think stylish as well, although some may not agree.

At the end of the day, if we're comfortable with who we are, it really does'nt matter. I would bet most people get more positive than negative comments about their hats anyway.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am guilty of wanting to wear a hat because of a movie.
I'm sure some of you are well acquainted with "The Sting."

I had been watching some old movies, trying to figure out what type of fedora would match my face shape. The best way to do this (according to my odd line of thinking) was to watch old movies and try to find an actor or extra or stunt double wearing a hat that had a similar face shape to my own.

So maybe I am not trying to look like hat-wearers in the media, but I won't deny that my own hat-wearing came about through extensive "researching".

robert-redford-the-stingjpg-3bb24ebe42864450_large.jpg

Merlot Tbird

New in Town
The fact remains, enough people buy hats and wear them to keep several manufacturers in business. If it makes you happy, wear one. When it stops, don't.

There is an ancient proverb that says he who controls you, owns you. If someone's article changes what you wear, or makes you angry or in anyway makes you behave differently, they now own you. No one owns me. So, will people like the author of this article own you?

Finally, I like MadMen. I don't want to go back in time, but I wish some aspects of the culture remain. It comes down to civility, manners and respect no matter what the age or time. We feel, or I assume we feel, that certain practices, such as wearing a hat and the protocol that accompanies it, emulate that civility.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

donnc

One of the Regulars
Merlot Tbird said:
There is an ancient proverb that says he who controls you, owns you. If someone's article changes what you wear, or makes you angry or in anyway makes you behave differently, they now own you. No one owns me. So, will people like the author of this article own you?

But now, by writing an article suggesting that I reject that article, don't you put yourself in the position of controlling me, in the event I follow your implicit advice? What a conundrum!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
It is on cable but not premium cable. A&E I think.

AMC, which stands for "American Movie Classics," practically a misnomer because they don't show many movies anymore, and most of them can't be considered "classics." However, they are American, so that much is true. Not that I'm complaining, though, because AMC was a joke for years compared to a true classic (and commercial-free) movie network like TCM, and AMC's switch to producing high-quality original shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad has made AMC worthwhile (in my opinion). They're both excellent shows. I haven't checked out Rubicon yet, but I've heard good things.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
But there was a time when AMC used to show older films without any commercials. They were actually similar to TCM's programming, if a bit less historically oriented. (I have several VHS tapes I made of hours of commercial-less Buster Keaton films in a marathon that they ran on his 100th birthday back in 1995.) But they've been through an awful a lot of changes since then.

I had long since written them off as worthless, but hey, they greenlighted Mad Men when no other station would, so they definitely deserve some respect...

Tiller

Practically Family
MattJH said:
Don't lose sight that The Fedora Lounge and its collective interests are a fairly isolated and occasionally regulated/censored microcosm, where people of similar interests finally get to talk to others who harbor the same. That's why this place exists. Because, otherwise, our threads would look much more like this one from Something Awful's forums, which is a fairly accurate representation of what most average folk think about men wearing fedoras. I don't intend to discourage anyone (I wear hats in the colder months!), but it's just unrealistic to believe that you aren't leaving a wake of (some) people thinking that you look silly, outdated, or affected when they see you wearing a piece of clothing that went out of fashion 60 years ago. Reading some of these replies, I get the impression that some here think that they're the strange ones. No, no. It's you. And me. And us. Ridicule is inevitable, particularly on the Internet.

Personally speaking, the only way I've ever felt comfortable wearing a hat is if it's casual. No suits, no noir-anything, no brylcreem in my hair, no oxblood cordovans or whatever. Jeans, shirt, hat. That's me, and that's comfortable. I do whatever I can to fit the hat within a 2010 context, rather than fitting my entire self into a 1940's one. Am I judging those who do? Absolutely not! What's comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you. But I am saying that the more you adhere to old customs, etiquette (oh God, the etiquette, I could go on for days about the etiquette), the phrasings and sayings and postures, the more you distinctly distance yourself from our current cultures and, as such, the more of a target you are because the easiest thing to ridicule is the thing that is different.

I have to be honest, all these people who are getting insulted left and right for wearing hats, or (gasp) a suit and hat.... well I just don't get it. I've never been insulted to any great degree, and the only people who have even tried were teenagers. Now I'm 24 years old, I'm not middle aged, and I'm not an old man, and yet I haven't suffered this horrible fate. Maybe it's my personality though, since IMHO most of the people who seem to get "attacked" constantly seemed to be used to it.... not to be mean... (honestly), but if you act afraid or awkward it opens the door for people of "lower" values to ummm... "move in" (I guess lol).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but confidence and how you carry yourself plays a big role. I'm in sales by profession, so I'm used to dealing with all kinds of people in all kinds of emotional states, so perhaps that works to my advantage. It also helps, that most people think I'm in the "business world" (whatever that means lol).

As far as "culture" I know plenty of people who dress modern who enjoy the same old movies that I do. John Wayne remains one of America's favorite actors despite the fact that he has been dead for over 30 years. I've also seen a rise of people adding vintage (repo or true) pieces to their daily outfits. Fashion trend or not, I don't think being vintage is as outside of the mainstream as some of the white sheep like to make it out to be.

Some people think bodybuilders look stupid (and usually joke about "overcompensating"), others think its a great pursuit and "look". Some people think looking like a hippie is great (God knows why lol ), others (Like me;) ) don't. Some people think Teddy Boy's are hero's others think they are punks. You can go down the list of styles and you will see that divide. The fact that their are people out their who think how I dress looks stupid doesn't surprise me, but it also doesn't bother me (people hiding behind the net to attack people here I find shallow to say the least though). No matter HOW I dressed (even if I simply dressed "modern" and wore nothing but jeans and tees) their would be someone who wouldn't like it. So what? Anyone who solely judges you on how you look is an asshole anyways and not worth your time, let them bah at you.

I enjoy seeing people "giving it back" to people who insult others based solely on their looks. Some say that makes me smug, but who cares :p. Live your life for you, and do what you enjoy, and the rest is a cake walk. Don't let people pull you down.

The reality of this world is that 99.99999 percent of the people who live on this planet don't matter to you, and won't ever have much of an opinion of you, the majority won't even meet you lol. In the end it boils down to your friends and family, besides them just be polite to the random strangers you meet. To the assholes in this world who make it their life's goal to insult others that they don't know, either give it right back to them, or ignore them (depends on your personality I suppose), but don't let them run YOUR life.

End of rant.:p I'll buy the next round for all your poor souls who had to listen to it lol.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
I always hear about people thinking someone wearing a fedora is a hipster, what do you think they think a "homburger" is? :rolleyes:

And this guy like Derek earlier said is just trying to make himself seem smart, and knowledgeable about the subject! After seeing so many of these kinds of thinks I just don't really care anymore (like I ever did care about what these punks say anyways)

Those Darn Young Whippersnappers!

Neophyte

StetsonHomburg said:
I always hear about people thinking someone wearing a fedora is a hipster, what do you think they think a "homburger" is? :rolleyes:

Isn't he the guy from McDonald's, you know, the one thats always stealing the kids' Happy Meals?

Oh, and I'm one of those whippersnappers!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
MattJH said:
Don't lose sight that The Fedora Lounge and its collective interests are a fairly isolated and occasionally regulated/censored microcosm, ... it's just unrealistic to believe that you aren't leaving a wake of (some) people thinking that you look silly, outdated, or affected when they see you wearing a piece of clothing that went out of fashion 60 years ago.

To be clear, I get that. But in the case of my recent point, I was referring to trends I was seeing outside of the Lounge. Although, being part of the Lounge has sharpened my awareness of such things. ;)

Michaelshane; Thanks for the photo, but can you make those poorly fitting hats go away now. :( Now I know that I have NEVER seen those guys in hats until now. I would have remembered that. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I don't think they chose their headwear very well. And it's not even the hats, per say.

Neophyte said:
I am guilty of wanting to wear a hat because of a movie.
I'm sure some of you are well acquainted with "The Sting."
:D :D :D Along with Indiana Jones and The Untouchables, The Sting was one of my inspirations, as well.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 said:
:D :D :D Along with Indiana Jones and The Untouchables, The Sting was one of my inspirations, as well.

OK, I'll admit to ordering my brown Fed IV in part because of the Indiana Jones series.
Indy-Hat-Tip.gif

It's not exactly creased that way right now (a slightly lower telescope crown with front crease), but with the ribbon being somewhat dusty in it's current state, and the brim being somewhat uneven, as well as the front pinch, it carries a similar spirit to that of one of Harrison Ford's.

My next hat, however, will not likely be bought because of a certain film in mind, so much as my own facial structure. I'm convinced that I can pull off a bit of taper well, possibly even moreso than a straight crown.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
Michaelshane; Thanks for the photo, but can you make those poorly fitting hats go away now.

Speaking of I'll-fitting hats, this promotional image for Mad Men bothered the heck outta me.

elisabeth-moss_M_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Not the girl, but the guy on the right. That hat looks like it doesn't even come close to fitting.

MCrider

A-List Customer
I like where in the article he says enjoy the show but you don't have to dress like the characters to appreciate it. And an even better line "That's the thing about TV: it doesn't judge us."
Like others here have said, I didn't start wearing hats to emulate anyone. In fact I rarely watch TV anymore because there's very few shows worth watching. But if someone like Mr. Parsons is fulfilled by sitting in front of the tube watching shows and feeling better about his life by it, then I'm all for his mindless "should I buy what the commercials tell me to" life. As for me, I'm out riding my motorcycle, wandering through abandoned buildings or enjoying a nice hike in the woods. There's only one thing I would like to know. What the heck is jorts?

Neophyte

lol

I'm fairly certain that "jorts" is some half-a**ed way of describing denim shorts, a portmanteau of "jeans" and "shorts."

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
Nice living room you have there.....;)

playa-del-carmen.jpg

That is a swanky cave

Anyway, I too read the article, I posted the link in the Mad Men thread, and I thought it was funny how the author said that the problem wasn't people trying to dress up, it's that the world is in the condition it is in to not tolerate it.

That and the group photo of the Mad Men look alikes was awful, they're outfits were atroscious.

swinggal

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Your pal just doesn't realize how dorky he actually is with that attitude. ;)

Oh don't worry, I told him he was lame and remind him often of his previous scorn of my long term 'hat' wearing buddies. Fashion slave... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou