Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Wearers: You're Just Trying to Be Don Draper. Stop It.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr E Train said:
Speaking of I'll-fitting hats, this promotional image for Mad Men bothered the heck outta me.

elisabeth-moss_M_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Not the girl, but the guy on the right. That hat looks like it doesn't even come close to fitting.

No kidding! The producer probably wanted in an ad, so they threw a suit on him and found the first hat they could. "Oh don't worry, no one even knows how hats are supposed to fit anyway!"

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Now this may just be me, but...

Are you all really sure you've read the article?

It seems to me that it's just a joke, bordering on self-parody. Sure it's limited; he comes up with a conceit and then :deadhorse flogs it over and over. Fair enough. Might have added some brilliant insights and couldn't come up with any. Brain drained before his pen did. Happens.

But nonetheless, it seemed to me that he was *actually* saying the opposite of what he appeared to say on the surface. He was saying that contemporary style is tawdry and ephemeral, so don't try bringing any class to the party - waste of time, nobody will appreciate it. Because you aren't gorgeous or glamorous like these movie actors, who don't look like most real people ever did. And that's what (wink wink) really counts.

Look, if someone told me he was actually included in the photos of folks he was mocking, wouldn't surprise me a bit. Because that's where he was coming from, methinks.

(No, I didn't write this - could have done it better, but I did get it. :rolleyes:)

- Bill

The Good

Call Me a Cab
StetsonHomburg said:
While everyone is admiting it, I have to say that I got my St. Regis Homburg because of Michael Corleone: http://scrapetv.com/News/News Pages/usa/images-4/michael-corleone-al-pacino.jpg

I'm telling you, just because of the homburgs that Michaeol Corleone wears, this film is going to compell me to purchase one, later down the road. It'll be my formal/semi-formal hat, primarily, and will most likely be black, but I love the grey one as well, don't get me wrong. He did wear a black one in a particular scene, meeting with Kay for the first time since leaving for Sicily...

Off topic post, I know...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
Are you all really sure you've read the article?

It seems to me that it's just a joke, bordering on self-parody.

Couldn't agree more. It's got a tongue-in-cheek quality to it -- an amusing read.

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You three guys are just being a bunch of defensive Don-wannabees.
(Don Juan of bees?)

The rest of you look more like Indiana Jones.

;)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
Yeah... but I was post 107. :eusa_doh:

lol lol lol lol

lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I love that many of us don't need to feel offended. I hope it is contagious because I like it alot more when this place is about fedoras and friends and not the other junk

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I love that many of us don't need to feel offended. I hope it is contagious because I like it alot more when this place is about fedoras and friends and not the other junk

Kiss off...:eek:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah, my good friend "Let Me Google That For You" introduced to me by Lefty lol . It's good to see you again. Oh, the times we've had!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I thought it was just a humorous article and nothing to get excited about. What's that saying--you can't please everyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou