Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Wearing pre-1960 vs. 2017

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
while the UK stays within the EU (not yet clear what will happen after March 2019).

Let me look into my crystal ball....ah yes. The negoations have gone nowhere, the UK will be obliged to participate in the 2019 European elections & then the UK government will use stalling tatics for a year before evoking article 50 again. The conservative party will then hold a general election to delay new negoations for a few months more & then because of the government's inability to form a unified position on withdrawal agreements, things will drag on ad infinitum. :D

I'll never for the life of me understand why anyone would be concerned with how someone else is dressed ... let alone how what they are wearing fits them

Very strange

The whole get off my lawn attitude about a younger generation not dresssing to your approval is quite silly to me

they probably look at you and think you look ridiculous... who cares ?

it's like the neighbors looking over the fence to see if your backyard is clean ... worry about your own yard
Can't go there...suffice it to say it has something to do with those who have earned the right to do as they wish legally, & those who haven't done anything but feel it is their right to do so granted them by the US Constitution. Most in the latter category don't even know what rights are granted by the Constitution. I'll leave it at that.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Different take-

Differences; Create a list of influences/knowledge and availability and I have my discussion of hat wearing changes between the small time frame 60-2017. I am not deliberately trite but will add below.

Style vs.fashion; Style is a manner of doing something. I choose my style. What influences - you get to choose. I am at the station of life were I choose attire less about others acceptance and much more about my choice. Since 2000 hat wearing has returned to fashion (as measured by manf.#'s and appearances in public). Could it be spured upon by media that takes its origins in the 20-50's? High probability. Health conscious, skin protection and practicality influences are increasing the hat popularity without huge media influence. Is the hat here to stay - maybe. Will it's popularity continue to rise to a pitch were it is generally accepted as a part of a mans attire, a fad, remain steady? Who knows. Everything old is new again at some point.

Fashion is a popular trend, the prevailing custom. Wear hats because of fashion - yes and the examples are in our eyes in the digital media everyday. We can cherry pick images and writings off the internet to support alomost all hypotheses of why/how.

When does fashion become a style? When the fashion or trend is recognized to have meaning in already recognized beliefs. Will hat wearing continue from its very modest rise to become a popular style choice? Who knows. Successful fashion folks bet with their efforts, monies and I do not see currently many of the influencers "doubling down."

Other posters have pointed out the physical changes in the worlds populations. Inevitable that changes occur. Also inevitable that we humans might conjecture "fairness" in vintage size availability. No fairness exists in our modern global hat market. The buyers and sellers in our global hat market are disjointed as we are very small in numbers. The small market does allow price node setting (aka - Timothies Closet model and others) and product quick sales (frequently my experience to be without knowledge of scarcity or relative market value). These described outliers produce sale/purchase prices that prevent modeling of the actual strength of the market (no matter the size). All in all - Boy oh boy, we can certainly agree that the vintage hat market is fickle and vigallance combined with serendipity that present us with "hat prizes."

I hope I have contributed to this discussion. I tried searching for the history of like threads as I do recall reading this topic several times in the past. I had no luck so I added my post.

Best today, Eric -

Can't go there...suffice it to say it has something to do with those who have earned the right to do as they wish legally, & those who haven't done anything but feel it is their right to do so granted them by the US Constitution. Most in the latter category don't even know what rights are granted by the Constitution. I'll leave it at that.

Quite the broad brush you're stroking with, my friend. And what constitutes having "earned the right to do as they wish legally?"

Is there a checklist somewhere?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Quite the broad brush you're stroking with, my friend. And what constitutes having "earned the right to do as they wish legally?"

Is there a checklist somewhere?

I can't go any further; I'm not addressing the issue of whether the time will come when everyone will be happily wearing hats again. I was addressing Anthony's inquiry on why anyone should be concerned with what other's wear, do, etc.

With an open mind read everything you can about the movement just a few yrs ago on secession in Texas & why, then read about the more recent movement on secession in California & why (however unlikely either could ever happen). Two totally opposite viewpoints that helped me to understand the polarization we face. Watch the 10 episodes of Ken Burn's documentary on Vietnam.

I'll be happy to read your follow up my friend, but will refrain from commenting further so as to not lock up this thread.

I can't go any further; I'm not addressing the issue of whether the time will come when everyone will be happily wearing hats again. I was addressing Anthony's inquiry on why anyone should be concerned with what other's wear, do, etc.

With an open mind read everything you can about the movement just a few yrs ago on secession in Texas & why, then read about the more recent movement on secession in California & why (however unlikely either could ever happen). Two totally opposite viewpoints that helped me to understand the polarization we face. Watch the 10 episodes of Ken Burn's documentary on Vietnam.

I'll be happy to read your follow up my friend, but will refrain from commenting further so as to not lock up this thread.

I'm not getting the connection between my post on how I don't care what people wear and the Burns doc or a secession movement ... but that's fine as well

I simply worry about what me and mine do then admire from afar and try not to judge others choices

I, like moonie, cannot fathom what secessionist movements or Mr. Burns' latest take on something I'm quite familiar with has any bearing on how I or anyone else accepts what others wear and how they wear it. Mind you, I'm not above privately "judging" some folks' appearance, but I try not to let it seep into my interactions.

Besides, you dodged the question. Is there a criteria for what is deemed worthy? Is knowledge of the Constitution required to sport a man bun and skinny jeans? Am I morally superior to those who wear socks with sandals or white after Labor Day?

For the record, fur felt is much superior to wool for pretty much every occurrence. I believe even Steve's wonderful wools were at the low end of the quality line at the time.

And while we're at it, it's pop, not soda you east coast barbarians!! (I'm lookin' at you, Ant). [emoji41]

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I, like moonie, cannot fathom what secessionist movements or Mr. Burns' latest take on something I'm quite familiar with has any bearing on how I or anyone else accepts what others wear and how they wear it. Mind you, I'm not above privately "judging" some folks' appearance, but I try not to let it seep into my interactions.

Besides, you dodged the question. Is there a criteria for what is deemed worthy? Is knowledge of the Constitution required to sport a man bun and skinny jeans? Am I morally superior to those who wear socks with sandals or white after Labor Day?

For the record, fur felt is much superior to wool for pretty much every occurrence. I believe even Steve's wonderful wools were at the low end of the quality line at the time.

And while we're at it, it's pop, not soda you east coast barbarians!! (I'm lookin' at you, Ant). [emoji41]

Oi you! I've told you before, you leave socks with sandals alone. I can carry that look! P-)

Edward

Bartender
Let me look into my crystal ball....ah yes. The negoations have gone nowhere, the UK will be obliged to participate in the 2019 European elections & then the UK government will use stalling tatics for a year before evoking article 50 again. The conservative party will then hold a general election to delay new negoations for a few months more & then because of the government's inability to form a unified position on withdrawal agreements, things will drag on ad infinitum. :D

Probably best we leave it at 'unknown as of yet', bearing in mind the rules of the house.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

sorry Jim ... in my house growing up a bottle of Coke was soda and a "pop" contained hops , grain, and yeast :)

Good point. I agree that this could apply to ball caps, but not so much with brimmed hats. I don't think we are wearing them differently today. My limited observations are that larger size heads were much less common in the past.
In my opinion (for what it's worth) in general (there are always exceptions) men wore hats higher (especially 1950s and earlier). It's highly possible it was a one full hat size difference from what is norm today. Personally I wear hats high and low. Some based on size, some not.

I haven't seen (or can't recall) any studies on head size change (from 1920s for example) but I have to believe there has been an increase in the mean.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Just tossing in my two cents real quick...

It's definitely "soda", not "pop." Sorry, Fruno.

Here's your soda...

Ben_W_Bell_Soda_Bread_Farl_05_June_2007.jpg

You want anything to drink with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran