Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Wearing pre-1960 vs. 2017

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Wearing towards the back of the head as opposed to straight on also seems to be more of a norm than an exception, which could also contribute to an ill fitting hat when 'properly' worn.

I find that it depends on the hat. I have one in particular, a Dobbs, that only wants to be worn way back on my head. Straight on, like pretty much all my other hats, doesn't work for this one. And none of my others like being tilted back.

Smaller hats (that fit me) work better for me tilted back.

Edward

Bartender
A Plastic Paddy is someone pertaining to be Irish and you know maybe they are in an inauthentic type of way. Michael Flatley always comes dancing to mind.

Pretty much. Somebody who falls all over themself to show off how Irish they are because, y'know, three hundred years ago somebody in their family married an Irish, or their grandma ate a potato once or whatever. The worst of 'em have typically never set foot in Ireland and in reality know nowt about the place (despite the fsct that they may have put money in a hat at some point).

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Pretty much. Somebody who falls all over themself to show off how Irish they are because, y'know, three hundred years ago somebody in their family married an Irish, or their grandma ate a potato once or whatever. The worst of 'em have typically never set foot in Ireland and in reality know nowt about the place (despite the fsct that they may have put money in a hat at some point).
Nah, the worst ones never left.

...IMHO, the rise of "fast fashion" and the steady growth of post war consumerism are also factors in hat wearing. A quality fur felt hat, is a relatively expensive item, and seemingly regarded more as an accessory. Wearing towards the back of the head as opposed to straight on also seems to be more of a norm than an exception, which could also contribute to an ill fitting hat when 'properly' worn.
I must be among the "fortunate few" because my hats fit the same whether I'm wearing them "towards the back of the head" or "straight on". I prefer "towards back of the head" not because I think it's "stylish" or "cool", but because that's how they're most comfortable to me (with the front of the sweatband at the top of my forehead). That being said, I've often seen actors in movies and people around town who wear their hats pushed back so far that they're literally covering the backs of their heads, and I wonder how they manage to keep 'em on their heads.

Ha! I always thought Dublin meant you were "dating" two Irish sisters at the same time. Bet you never heard that one before!
Wouldn't that be "Dublin down"? :D

RJR

I must be among the "fortunate few" because my hats fit the same whether I'm wearing them "towards the back of the head" or "straight on". I prefer "towards back of the head" not because I think it's "stylish" or "cool", but because that's how they're most comfortable to me (with the front of the sweatband at the top of my forehead). That being said, I've often seen actors in movies and people around town who wear their hats pushed back so far that they're literally covering the backs of their heads, and I wonder how they manage to keep 'em on their heads.

Wouldn't that be "Dublin down"? :D
OUCH :cool:!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran