Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatco Article From the Dallas Morning News

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It'd help if they expanded their size range. How can they be the #1 hatters when they don't offer larger sizes? Even if they did, from what I've seen on this forum I'd much prefer a custom job at the price levels they're asking. Mike at NW and Cane Rod Maker, for example, are directly competitive with them price-wise and make far better hats, not to mention the whole issue of customer service. And Akubras?
Not to mention Gannon also.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
With due respect to custom hatters, and members of this forum not withstanding, I wouldn't necessarily say that there's going to be a huge overlap between their customers and Hatco. Custom hats seem to be something that most folks "graduate" to, for lack of a better word.

Goorin cut themselves out a nice little niche of customers who will spend $100+ on a wool felt hat. Surely Stetson can get some of that market by marketing a "premium" product with brand heritage.

But as far as returning to vintage quality...I'm not sure the economies of scale work to Hatco's favor. The premiere strats are royal deluxe quality...but back in the day, royal deluxe was what, the next to lowest quality felt? They probably can make a higher quality felt, but then they're moving into Optimo prices, no?

The one thing they can do really easily is get rid of those stupid fishing line tacking stitches! Is it really that much more labor and time intensive to switch out different spools of thread?

There's room for custom hatters to be putting out a boutique product and Hatco to produce nice dress hats.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I won't disagree. But I like my new Stetsons, too.

No experience with customs. Just the word through here.
The most "modern" hats that are beaver coming into our home here have been one Biltmore (looks like a high crown stetson open road) and a 1980's Stetson Roadmaster, then a modern stratoliner when stetson first introduced the strat back into offering. Of the three, the Roadmaster had the best feel to it and now we are actually wishing we would have kept it, we did sell it to someone on the classifieds. Same with the stratoliner. It was a "ruff" feeling felt and lifeless at best. The Biltmore is nice and will remain home here for use.

Customs hats, we have two from Tonyb, they are very nice and have been worth the price and we have one hat that we purchased from someone else that had been made by Blacksheep hats. It also is a very nice hat. Smooth and well made. BUT most of the older vintage hats when you feel the felt, are more creamy and have a better texture in general (for what we have had come and go). The very first custom from Tonyb was super smooth and is actually Daniel's favorite hat. The hat body is a ivory color and of western felt dress weight. It was reported to be a mix of rabbit and beaver, however Tonyb stated his supplier may have made an error as it felt like 100% beaver when he was working the hat up on the block and doing the finish. That may be true as it sure has that creamy surface touch to it.

The newest stetson line up, we have no clue as we have not yet made the jump to purchase one yet. Obviously as most hat lovers, you can never have enough hats and that of course, makes your wallet do a lot of talking for you...or committing mutiny on you! I'd buy a new model Premier Stetson Stratoliner based upon most of the reviews. But it does seem some are not made exactly as nice as one reviewer points out to the next. Quality control? Bad batch of hat bodies? Who will really know? I think the issue is however that stetson will keep moving forward on making super nice hats and keep improving what they make. That and the price. I find a many good vintage hats and some that without a doubt have never had any head time for less money then $300.00. I am not suggesting the newer stetsons are not worth what a person pays for it, but I am saying I know most of the vintage hats I buy I will be a happy camper buying it. I know Daniel will love wearing and owning it. And I know if I sell the hat I can pass it along with ease to someone here even if I sell if for less then what I paid for it and someone else will love owning it. That is the opinion we would have here on the issues and hope that hatco will just keep making the hats. Just think of this, some of the Fedora Lounge members have children. When those children grow up, the hats being made now, will be the vintage hats they will be swapping and converting and stretching and bragging about owning. Lets hope that the stetson hats will be worth all the best "fuss" and glory that we view the vintage hats of today.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Throw our very own Esther Weis in the mix as well
To my eyes she is right on those guys coat tails and soon will be batting in the big league of bespoke hattery
Looking at her hat work sure makes me agree with you on that. I see some real attention being paid to the style, and finish of the hat from her that was showcased here on the lounge. Elegant and a creamy look to it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
It was a "ruff" feeling felt and lifeless at best
That was exactly my experience at the hat store I visited in Nashville two years ago - and the few privately owned I handled during the trip. Eight out of eight made of poor felt, and they all had crooked seams and tacking - some in over dimensioned fishing tackle.

I'd buy a new model Premier Stetson Stratoliner based upon most of the reviews.
Yeah, I was very keen on that myself. Luckily I waited till I was physically in the US, so I could handle and inspect them myself. Now I strongly believe, that much of the reviews I read was pretty biased and influenced by romantic and patriotic feelings.

Today I would rather buy a flat cap or a cloth hat, that doesn't pretend to be something else. The newer Stetsons are not imported to DK, so an order would be online - based on my trust in the company. That being South of zero, equals no new Stetsons for me in the future.

Last edited:
Some of the issues on the felt side are poor working machinery. I heard from a very reliable source in the industry that they might be looking to improve felt quality but I am not sure what will come of it. You have to invest in properly maintaining existing machines or buying better machines (restored or new). Also putting all the processes together properly is very important. Sourcing good fur is important too (not saying this an issue). FEPSA (actually Cortadoria Nacional de Pêlo, S.A.) and TONAK have their own fur cutting operations (overall sourcing fur pelts in a major issue). I have no idea where Stetson is sourcing fur but I don't believe they are cutting their own fur.

On the hat side the machinery situation + know how also applies and they have to pay more attention to detail when it comes to dressing the hat (hat band and bow, ect). For example TONAK hats come at a much lower price but are better dressed.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I won't disagree. But I like my new Stetsons, too.

No experience with customs. Just the word through here.
My only experience with Stetson was when I first started buying hats. I got the Renaissance, a purportedly Milan straw, but when I received it the thing looked an awful lot like plastic. It still does. I also thought I could get away with a 7 3/4 (my size is 7 7/8). What I learned with that transaction was that ads can be worded very cleverly and that a centimeter or two makes a big difference as to whether or not you'll ever wear a certain hat. Live and learn.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
That was exactly my experience at the hat store I visited in Nashville two years ago - and the few privately owned I handled during the trip. Eight out of eight made of poor felt, and they all had crooked seams and tacking - some in over dimensioned fishing tackle.

Yeah, I was very keen on that myself. Luckily I waited till I was physically in the US, so I could handle and inspect them myself. Now I strongly believe, that much of the reviews I read was pretty biased and influenced by romantic and patriotic feelings.

Today I would rather buy a flat cap or a cloth hat, that doesn't pretend to be something else. The newer Stetsons are not imported to DK, so an order would be online - based on my trust in the company. That being South of zero, equals no new Stetsons for me in the future.

So that makes the hat a great bargain for those whom enjoy "trout"! HAhaha!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
So I am looking on eBay...and see a premier open crown royal quality stetson stratoliner....on the inside of the leather sweatband is the mark with the wool ball and says 100% WOOL! OMG! If the sweatband was marked everything else and then the 100% wool, is there any error or has stetson went "awol"? 195 dollars for a open crown woolie...no...thank...you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STETSON-PRE...8537&clkid=5019168098759839338&_qi=RTM2247625

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

So how often do you come across the pond? My Husband has been to Denmark several times, but not since 1980. He wanted to know if much has changed in your town?

"Available in a number of colors it is constructed of soft and light Royal Quality fur"

- a royal, furry wolf in sheep's clothing, I reckon :D

The gentleman who owns that listing has been posting on the Lounge lately, though his FL handle currently escapes me. From his posts, and the length of time he's been on the Bay, he seems to be on the up-and-up; this just may be a mistake on his part. Perhaps he will address/correct it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
So how often do you come across the pond? My Husband has been to Denmark several times, but not since 1980. He wanted to know if much has changed in your town?

Well, it took me 58 years to get over there the first time. That is two years ago - and the visit only lasted little more than two weeks. One week in Vegas (MS conference) and little over a week with my oldest friend, who has lived in Nashville for 30-some years. I hope to return in a year or so :)

In many ways CPH still looks the same, but below the surface we've changed as much as everyone else in the Western World - and I guess that's visible, if you know the city well.

CPH is still a beautiful place to be - especially during Summer - and we still have fun and interesting places to visit in the evening/night. We also still have our tall, beautiful blonds ... I have in fact contributed with two myself :D

Mm25

One Too Many
CPH is still a beautiful place to be - especially during Summer - and we still have fun and interesting places to visit in the evening/night. We also still have our tall, beautiful blonds ... I have in fact contributed with two myself :D

You are, of course, familiar with the saying "Pics or it didnt happen" lol

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, it took me 58 years to get over there the first time. That is two years ago - and the visit only lasted little more than two weeks. One week in Vegas (MS conference) and little over a week with my oldest friend, who has lived in Nashville for 30-some years. I hope to return in a year or so :)

In many ways CPH still looks the same, but below the surface we've changed as much as everyone else in the Western World - and I guess that's visible, if you know the city well.

Thank you for your reply! MS I take it the disease? My Husband has MS, among a half dozen other ailments, heart issues and now cancer. We are not too far from Nashville, driving wise! There are (or were) a hat store or two in Nashville, one that would work on hats and had a great variety of hats for sale.

Good the hear your City is still a beautiful place. We thank you very much! (Blonds ARE good people) Hahaha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21