Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hating Work and Dressing for it!

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
We acquired a new boss about 2 years ago and it has made my job very stressful and rather unpleasant for all here save the 5 "golden" sycophants. I could rant on for hours, but I digress.

I allowed my dress to suffer because of my distaste for our new mgt. Then after reading some of The Lounge, and personal introspection, I came up with a new plan. Screw 'em. I like to dress well, it makes me feel good. Just do it!

So I have. Coat and tie is too much for 99% of my job, but pressed khakis and shirts are not too much to expect. Polish for the shoes, clean shaven, or if winter well trimmed. I haven't felt this great in a long time!

Even have a few "work" clothes that I have pressed. So even if I must get down and dirty I look put together getting there. Even went back to Suits for Sunday. I even love "The Big Man," coming in from the garden in his overalls- I've even ironed mine- no creases just no wrinkles. Having more fun in my day to day, Food tastes better. Why? Because I'm taking care.

So- Thanks to all of you who post and inspire us to step it up a notch!

All the best,

CH

Foofoogal

Banned
Well, I guess it is good to be inspired.
I am no.9 of 11 children by depression era parents. My mother always taught us being monetarily poor is no excuse for not being clean and taking care of yourself and what you do have. She also said everyone can afford a bar of soap and if you have 2 dresses or 2 shirts wash one and wear the other.
Seriously bugs me when I see people living like swine for no reason but laziness.
How low should you go is determined by a persons heart IMHO. Sometimes I know it is hard to get the incentive when things are bad but cleaning yourself up is a start. If you cannot believe in yourself like I have said here before, who will?

something about an ant and a rubber tree plant also. lol :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I, too, was reared by Depression-era parents (one of them a farmboy), who insisted on dressing well despite humble backgrounds. Most of the time I wear a tie and long sleeves to school (I'm a teacher), and many times my attire has reminded me and others of the professionalism which the position should represent. When at your lowest, dress to the nines!

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is all about being true to myself. I feel better when I dress my best; this does not mean suits and french cuffs everyday. Hardly, there is no need for that. :)

I enjoy pressing my own clothes, shining my own shoes, working out and eating right. I feel better; my attitude reflects that.

As far as allowing someone else to inflect their negative attitude on me and effect my overall well-being; I simply will not allow that. ;)

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
I have spent quite some time in countries where finding clothes is not so easy, where a washing machine or a simple iron is a rarity, and I have been amazed to see how hard these people work to try to be clean, and how proud they are to “dress up” in their way with what they have.

It makes me sad to see in industrial countries people wearing dirty clothes and spreading nauseating smells, when everything is in such an easy reach. And I am not talking about the person at the end of a hard working day in a harsh environment, who deserve the appropriate respect. :(

I believe that the stinky sloppy look has more to do with a lack of respect for yourself than anything else….But what do I know?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
J.L. Picard said:
I have spent quite some time in countries where finding clothes is not so easy, where a washing machine or a simple iron is a rarity, and I have been amazed to see how hard these people work to try to be clean, and how proud they are to “dress up” in their way with what they have.

It makes me sad to see in industrial countries people wearing dirty clothes and spreading nauseating smells, when everything is in such an easy reach. And I am not talking about the person at the end of a hard working day in a harsh environment, who deserve the appropriate respect. :(

I believe that the stinky sloppy look has more to do with a lack of respect for yourself than anything else….But what do I know?

I think that you know quite a bit, friend...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been there CH and I know just what you mean. I once had a job in which one was expected by the manager to toady to him and his superior attitude if you expected to get anywhere in the company. I refused to kowtow to his little regime and for a while it was very difficult and disheartening. Better things came up and I was able to move on, but in the interim it was hard.

Anyway, I applaud your attitude. Dress for yourself and look good for the sake of your own happiness and optimism. There's a lot of inspriation to be found here on the Lounge all right!

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
Some years back I had this crumby job in a cubicle that had me on the phone for 8 hours trying to make customers feel OK about getting the short end. I started dressing to cope. I stood out terribly but every day I marched in with dress shirt, tie, leather bag. At 90 days they called me in and said it seemed the job was more of a stretch than a fit and showed me the door.

They never mentioned performance, dress, or anything. I think they got the idea I was mocking them. I was.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
It is all about being true to myself. I feel better when I dress my best; this does not mean suits and french cuffs everyday. Hardly, there is no need for that. :)

I enjoy pressing my own clothes, shining my own shoes, working out and eating right. I feel better; my attitude reflects that.

As far as allowing someone else to inflect their negative attitude on me and effect my overall well-being; I simply will not allow that. ;)

Well said, Chris...:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner