Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Not as potent as the usual drinks posted on here but I just made a new batch tonight and I’m willing to bet this hasn’t ever been posted on here before....
1b91c6608e0444e7424e8028aaf62e2a.jpg

.....Tepache ( fermented pineapple) and an old Stockman vented straw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a nice Stockman. I'm salavating while wondering if the Tepache is dry or tart? Don't know what else is added to it as it ferments? You live in the right area; any recipes or experience making the Apaches version of Tiswin with white corn?

Yamahana

One Too Many
That is a nice Stockman. I'm salavating while wondering if the Tepache is dry or tart? Don't know what else is added to it as it ferments? You live in the right area; any recipes or experience making the Apaches version of Tiswin with white corn?

Thanks Jack, it’s pretty simple my Mexican amigos make it 5 gal at a time. I haven’t had anything “hard” to drink in over 30 years so I’m not sure on difference between dry and tart. Don’t care much for soda anymore either but need to have something with a little kick and fiz, this fits the bill. It’s a pineapple as ripe brown as possible cut up, 1 cup turbinado sugar, 1 cup honey, water to fill to top. The natural yeasts on the pineapple skin ferments it. After about 5-7 days stirring daily it’s ready to bottle, don’t let it go to long or it’ll vinegar. Builds up pressure fast in bottles so 1-3 days then ready to refrigerate. I like it and most batches straddle the line between “hard” and “soft”!

Last edited:
Thanks Jack, it’s pretty simple my Mexican amigos make it 5 gal at a time. I haven’t had anything “hard” to drink in over 30 years so I’m not sure on difference between dry and tart.
To me dry or tart are close to being the same thing, like some dry white wines can be. Not sweet, almost sour.

My grandmother was Cherokee, born in the Nation. Her mother was full blood. She had a recipe for Tiswin I wish I had. All I can remember was she would blanch white corn in boiling water for a time, then let it cool to soak for a day or two. After removing the corn from the starchy water you save the water to be added back later. She would lay the corn out to dry & it would begin to sprout. But that's all I remember. It made a powerful corn Whiskey & most tribes had a version.

The Navajo & Hopi have a version of Tiswin they learned from observing the Spaniards, who came spreading Christianity. It's made from saguaro cactus & is more liqueur like or wine like. With plenty of fiber from the cactus, if you're "bound up" it will set you free, I hear.

Yamahana

One Too Many
To me dry or tart are close to being the same thing, like some dry white wines can be. Not sweet, almost sour.

My grandmother was Cherokee, born in the Nation. Her mother was full blood. She had a recipe for Tiswin I wish I had. All I can remember was she would blanch white corn in boiling water for a time, then let it cool to soak for a day or two. After removing the corn from the starchy water you save the water to be added back later. She would lay the corn out to dry & it would begin to sprout. But that's all I remember. It made a powerful corn Whiskey & most tribes had a version.

The Navajo & Hopi have a version of Tiswin they learned from observing the Spaniards, who came spreading Christianity. It's made from saguaro cactus & is more liqueur like or wine like. With plenty of fiber from the cactus, if you're "bound up" it will set you free, I hear.

In my younger days I was familiar with the saguaro cactus fruit version made by the Papago Indians (they call themselves Tohono O’odham now). I grew up on a farm next to the Papago reservation, their cemetery dating back into the 1800’s was on our farm. Growing up most of my buddies were mostly Mexican-American and Native-American and I got to experience a lot of their different cultures and traditions with them and their families. Looking back it was certainly a good well rounded life. I love the diversity of cultures and traditions that make up our country, it’s a shame they’re getting lost with the younger generations. They all knew how to have a good time. They have/had they’re own distinct music style called Waila Chicken Scratch and most weekends there was a band playing somewhere. Matter of fact when I began dating my wife of now 40 years I took her to one of the local hangouts for some Chicken Scratch dancing..I know how to woo a lady..,she’d dang sure never done that before!!
Here’s a sample of Waila Chicken Scratch

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my younger days I was familiar with the saguaro cactus fruit version made by the Papago Indians (they call themselves Tohono O’odham now). I grew up on a farm next to the Papago reservation, their cemetery dating back into the 1800’s was on our farm. Growing up most of my buddies were mostly Mexican-American and Native-American and I got to experience a lot of their different cultures and traditions with them and their families. Looking back it was certainly a good well rounded life. I love the diversity of cultures and traditions that make up our country, it’s a shame they’re getting lost with the younger generations. They all knew how to have a good time. They have/had they’re own distinct music style called Waila Chicken Scratch and most weekends there was a band playing somewhere. Matter of fact when I began dating my wife of now 40 years I took her to one of the local hangouts for some Chicken Scratch dancing..I know how to woo a lady..,she’d dang sure never done that before!!
Here’s a sample of Waila Chicken Scratch

Thanks for posting those! I love it. I have always enjoyed the mix of cultures in the southwest. Food, drink, and music, bring everyone together!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Desert dog

Tonight it's Karl Strauss Aurora Hoppyalis, an IPA with a flavor much like Sierra Nevada Hazy little thing, Golden Road Wolf Among Weeds, or Kern River Brewing' s chuuurch. Very tasty! The hat is a Stetson "twisted Panama". I enjoy this hat quite a bit in hot weather.
f3fd8321bc76ae7b2eb29bf8247fd8ad.jpg

Tonight it's Karl Strauss Aurora Hoppyalis, an IPA with a flavor much like Sierra Nevada Hazy little thing, Golden Road Wolf Among Weeds, or Kern River Brewing' s chuuurch. Very tasty! The hat is a Stetson "twisted Panama". I enjoy this hat quite a bit in hot weather.
f3fd8321bc76ae7b2eb29bf8247fd8ad.jpg

Nice Panama, DD. I've been looking for one of those. What was the era of the twisted straw? They're hard to find especially when sellers don't know what they have in their descriptions. I see a lot of those flattened cinch straws which they still sell.

Wearing my Resistol 3X San Antonio during this hump day/lady's night Happy Hour. Drinking Granite City's recently tapped Ale they call The Hustle. A coffee cream Ale @ 5.5% ABV with a taste upfront of Malt, vanilla & a mild white chocolate (in an Ale?) followed by an after taste of coffee. Without all the thick fullness of a Stout. I liked this beer very much & would drink it anytime relaxation is appropriate. I like my San Antonio also!

IMG_4124.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

Desert dog

Got my results back on blood work last wk for an Entity policy & Doc said I can abuse my body for another yr. so I'm doing it tonight with some BBQ ribs & Pale Ales, wearing my Penney Towncraft.

View attachment 171433

View attachment 171431

View attachment 171432

View attachment 171434
I am envious of your barbecue selection! I will join you in abusing my body, what do doctors know? My Dad said he was never sick until he saw a doctor!

I am envious of your barbecue selection! I will join you in abusing my body, what do doctors know? My Dad said he was never sick until he saw a doctor!

LOL...thanks DD. I have a daughter who is an MD & I do consult her but I'm the one who makes all my medical decisions. We're all going to be put on the clock someday.

I have some friends I recently met who are world travelers in retirement. I saw them tonight & he gave me a bottle of Butterscotch Schnapps Lequer from Spain. It's distilled at only 17% but he said at breakfast or at bedtime it's like eating a fresh baked butterscotch cookie & drinking a shot at the same time. I'll save it for when I have the time for a leasurely breakfast or an overnight guest.

IMG_2837.JPG

Desert dog

LOL...thanks DD. I have a daughter who is an MD & I do consult her but I'm the one who makes all my medical decisions. We're all going to be put on the clock someday.

I have some friends I recently met who are world travelers in retirement. I saw them tonight & he gave me a bottle of Butterscotch Schnapps Lequer from Spain. It's distilled at only 17% but he said at breakfast or at bedtime it's like eating a fresh baked butterscotch cookie & drinking a shot at the same time. I'll save it for when I have the time for a leasurely breakfast or an overnight guest.

View attachment 171618
That sounds good! I like butterscotch schnapps in coffee! More body abuse just means less time in a rest home!

View attachment 171618

Wow, how cool is that HJ? I know diddly about schnapps outside of an oyster bar in Gulf Shores that had a schnapps night where schnapps shots were a dollar. Thought butterscotch was nothing but a candy flavor until then. Is it just me or is the whole schnapps and oyster thing just wrong; though I am a fan of Rumple Minz.

Desert dog

Wow, how cool is that HJ? I know diddly about schnapps outside of an oyster bar in Gulf Shores that had a schnapps night where schnapps shots were a dollar. Thought butterscotch was nothing but a candy flavor until then. Is it just me or is the whole schnapps and oyster thing just wrong; though I am a fan of Rumple Minz.
Oh man! Rumple minz. My brother in law and I shared and Ice cold bottle with a bartender in the Sierras. He couldn't even fish the next day. I've never let him forget it!

I like butterscotch schnapps in coffee!

I know diddly about schnapps
As a kid I drank Peppermint Schnapps like a Boilermaker a few times but that's about it. I broke the seal on this butterscotch to smell it & it does smell like fresh baked cookies. I can see how it would be good in coffee or maybe in an ice cream shake. It might be too sweet for me to drink much of it straight, I'll see in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW