Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Continuing my support with what I can do GC was offering a "brunch box" served curbside in lieu of their normal Sunday Brunch Buffet from 10:00 to 1:00. I really feel for those who work for tips & have been laid off with little or no income. Cheesy eggs, bacon & sausage, Reggiano hashbrowns, biscuits & gravy, fresh fruit & a cinnamon roll. Of course I had to maximize my curbside experience with another growler of Irish Red Ale.

Starting Tuesday except for "essential services" we are being asked to go into a 4-5 county lockdown until 4/24.

Maximize away! Terrible, but not totally unexpected news for all of us.

Our lock-down announcement is expected in the next couple of days. I believe I can safely say I will be ok. Lots of food in the pantry, frig's and dry storage. I have a beer frig, a case of wine (for my wife) and the many bottles of whiskey(s) that I have accumulated this past 12 months. I have a couple of un-opened boxes of whiskey that will make a quarantined day much better!

Jack after reading the post I need to check for Irish Red Ale. I do not believe I have any! :(;)

Be safe, be strong and see yu on the street soon, Eric -

Starting Tuesday except for "essential services" we are being asked to go into a 4-5 county lockdown until 4/24.

Sigh ... I was afraid it would come to this. Stay safe Jack.

We made a run to "town" and picked up some of the best BBQ in these parts (Skinner's -- in an old fifth-wheel trailer on US 60 near Rogersville, Missouri) on the way back. If they can stay open for another week or two I might have to venture out again if allowed.

Speaking of "BBQ" ... how did yours turn out the other day? Do you have any details on the back-yard "grille"? There used to be a "BBQ joint" on the premises way back when (at the mouth of the spring). I would like to do some grilling again someday on that site. Hmmm ... steamed corn ... :D

Sigh ... I was afraid it would come to this. Stay safe Jack.
The governor is too wish-washy over lost jobs & lost businesses to do it himself. So to get anything done it's up to the mayors although I'm not sure they have the legal authority beyond their city. I live in one of the 5 counties but not in the city, so I guess it really is voluntary. Who enforces it? St. Louis & Columbia are doing similar but I haven't heard anything about Springfield.

Speaking of "BBQ" ... how did yours turn out the other day? Do you have any details on the back-yard "grille"? There used to be a "BBQ joint" on the premises way back when (at the mouth of the spring). I would like to do some grilling again someday on that site. Hmmm ... steamed corn ... :D
Just an internet pic. Without a proven recipe I couldn't afford to sink my mistakes. I may have posted before, I did check into it a few yrs ago & it is legal to distill up to 200 gal per calendar yr; no sales or bartering of product allowed.

Some peaty Laphroaig Single Malt & a 100, after a spicy Italian sausage, pepperoni & bacon pizza. Smokey peat tastes great!

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Some peaty Laphroaig Single Malt & a 100, after a spicy Italian sausage, pepperoni & bacon pizza. Smokey peat tastes great!

View attachment 222235

View attachment 222236

Sounds like a terrific pairing. The spicy and heady tastes of the meats would pair up well with the hearty, friendlier version of Laphroaig. I still have to remind myself how to pronounce this Scotish Whisky.

I was outside doing chores mid-day. Cutting big limbs into smaller ones, brushing, cleaning out the raseberry canes and emptying fire pits found me out in an Akubra CD. After the efforts I needed to change hats to let the Akubra dry out and be ready for some conditioning and steaming back to open crown. I changed to a Lee Adventurer to admire my efforts. Sipping a Founders All Day IPA.

i-2HcQZdh-M.jpg

Cheers folks, Eric -

Last edited:
Sounds like a terrific pairing. The spicy and heady tastes of the meats would pair up well with the hearty, friendlier version of Laphroaig. I still have to remind myself how to pronounce this Irish Whiskey.

I was outside doing chores mid-day. Cutting big limbs into smaller ones, brushing, cleaning out the raseberry canes and emptying fire pits found me out in an Akubra CD. After the efforts I needed to change hats to let the Akubra dry out and be ready for some conditioning and steaming back to open crown. I changed to a Lee Adventurer to admire my efforts. Sipping a Founders All Day IPA.

i-2HcQZdh-M.jpg

Cheers folks, Eric -
Don't let the Scots hear that, Eric.;) The distillery is on Islay on the west coast of Scotland.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Stetson 3X OR with a Caribou Coldbrew.

View attachment 221227

I have to post this here because I think this is so cool. This is a Whiskey flask made from Early American Pressed Glass (EAPG). EAPG was a thin glass process used from 1850 - 1910 for mass production of identical pieces. This flask has a picture of General Ulysses S. Grant inset behind glass. Unfortunately with such thin glass a shoulder of the flask is broken.

View attachment 221224

View attachment 221225

View attachment 221226

Now that is super cool.

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
Oops! I will correct my post. Apologies to all those proud Scots.

And don't forget, Islay is pronounce EYE-la. Definitely some of my favorites. Can't decide between Laphroiag and Lagavulin for my top. I really like the Lagavulin 16.

When drinking these I like to be taken away and imagine the rough rocky shores of the Islays and the salty sea air making it's way slightly into the casks there quietly ageing until ready to be bottled.....

You can pick up on the taste of the Sea along with the heavy smoke and Peat.

The 2 distilleries are only one mile from each other.....

ACB85998-240C-46A7-AC52-2A80FD5F312B.jpeg

IMG_4463.JPG

Lagavulin.jpg

Laphroaig.jpg

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
And don't forget, Islay is pronounce EYE-la. Definitely some of my favorites. Can't decide between Laphroiag and Lagavulin for my top. I really like the Lagavulin 16.

When drinking these I like to be taken away and imagine the rough rocky shores of the Islays and the salty sea air making it's way slightly into the casks there quietly ageing until ready to be bottled..... You can pick up on the taste of the Sea along with the heavy smoke and Peat......

IMG_4463.JPG

Feeling a thirst!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This late afternoon I sat on the lake shore and listened to an on-line class. This was while sipping a Guinness. "Working" from home is new to me, but not without its benefits.

i-FVRsF27-M.jpg

Opened a new bottle of Speyburn 10 (40 ABV) - Speyburn distillery in Speyside (Highland) with water from Glenburn. It is a truly affordable single malt Scotch whisky. Our last bottle was given to one of our guests who took a real liking to the whisky. My wife and I did have a taste of it before it left. We have had the un-opened bottle for a couple of months. Our whisky shelf has become crowded and we needed an opportunity to open it.

i-rV89798-M.jpg

Not a glamorous distillery or super well known whisky but it delivers. It is a light drinkable whisky without any edges. The after taste is light and perhaps slightly fruit sweet, IMO. I tasted it with and without water/ice. I like it. It makes a good whisky to pour for guests.

i-n9c7Zbb-M.jpg

I do not have the whisky experience that many of you folks have. Thanks for letting me share.

Eric -

Enjoying the last few moments of sunlight today.
I did the same thing listening to an owl call, wearing a Stetson No.1Q.

Not a glamorous distillery or super well known whisky but it delivers. It is a light drinkable whisky without any edges.
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with Speyburn 10 by the drink. I haven't yet bought a bottle but I tend to keep some on hand.

After coming inside for the night I parked my No.1Q & poured myself some Blue Corn Whiskey. It has a strong butter/butter cream aftertaste, not to my liking. Goes better with a snack like salty nuts. I much prefer the Aged Blue Corn. Whiskey.

IMG_7330.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails